Super Rugby 2016

A forum to discuss all things rugby on the Southern Hemisphere leagues.

Moderator: Moderators

HairyJ
Initiate

Re: Super Rugby 2016

Post by HairyJ »

Nadolo is something else. If I was a winger and I saw that thing on the opposite team I'd be getting aboard the Nope Train to Feckthatville.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Anyone know former Ulster star Tim Boyes is still cutting grass as well as packing down beside Kieran Read for the Crusaders?

I hate doing the first cut of the year & wondered has anyone got his number so I can get a quote for the job?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
HairyJ
Initiate

Post by HairyJ »

I've just had a thought.

We are all agreed that Super Rugby is a superior level than what we serve up in the NH. Ruadhri Murphy played down there and, although I didn't see him myself, he apparently was decent. Now, he can't get a game for Ulster. Is he actually useless, or does he just play a different way than the Ulster coaches want him to, i.e. Looks for offloads when the coaches want him to protect the ball?

Or am I just reading far too much into it?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

HairyJ wrote:I've just had a thought.

We are all agreed that Super Rugby is a superior level than what we serve up in the NH. Ruadhri Murphy played down there and, although I didn't see him myself, he apparently was decent. Now, he can't get a game for Ulster. Is he actually useless, or does he just play a different way than the Ulster coaches want him to, i.e. Looks for offloads when the coaches want him to protect the ball?

Don't confuse a 'superior product/spectacle' with superior rugby.

It is different rugby and many here seem to enjoy watching it more, but it doesn't mean that SH players are better at playing rugby than NH players.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Dave Murphy is an U20 Grand Slam winner too
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BR wrote:
HairyJ wrote:I've just had a thought.

Don't confuse a 'superior product/spectacle' with superior rugby.

It is different rugby and many here seem to enjoy watching it more, but it doesn't mean that SH players are better at playing rugby than NH players.
That's it in a nutshell BR. Different conditions and different style of play.
If SH teams were playing in 4 degrees and sleet, their play might not be quite as slick either. Numerous players have gone from Super rugby to NH rugby and looked very ordinary or worse. Ma'a Nonu isn't exactly setting Toulon alight.
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

Snipe Watson » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:07 pm

If SH teams were playing in 4 degrees and sleet, their play might not be quite as slick either.
Ummmm.... you mean like in New Zealand where they regularly play in April/May/June in howling wind, torrential rain and its as low as 3 degrees. Players have to sit on the bench wrapped in 3/4 blankets just to keep their core temperature up enough to function.

On the Murphy point, he wasnt/inst the best scrummager, he played well on the hard pitches of Aus in a league where the emphasis is on playing the ball and movement whereas here we play a much more tactical, forward dominant game where scrums are seen as genuine attacking weapons.

Two different approaches to the game, and in recent years the SH has been dominant over the NH. You have to go back to 2000-2003 to look at the last time a NH side was at the pinacle.
Mary had a little lamb . . .
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

fuzzylogic wrote:
Snipe Watson » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:07 pm

If SH teams were playing in 4 degrees and sleet, their play might not be quite as slick either.
Ummmm.... you mean like in New Zealand where they regularly play in April/May/June in howling wind, torrential rain and its as low as 3 degrees. Players have to sit on the bench wrapped in 3/4 blankets just to keep their core temperature up enough to function.

On the Murphy point, he wasnt/inst the best scrummager, he played well on the hard pitches of Aus in a league where the emphasis is on playing the ball and movement whereas here we play a much more tactical, forward dominant game where scrums are seen as genuine attacking weapons.

Two different approaches to the game, and in recent years the SH has been dominant over the NH. You have to go back to 2000-2003 to look at the last time a NH side was at the pinacle.
For every game played in Invercargill or Dunedin there are many played in the north island in 70 degrees and sunshine. Christchurch is breezy, but the climate is better than we have. Conditions overhead and underfoot are considerably better. Skill sets in NZ are vastly superior to ours that's not in dispute.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Short highlights from the Brumbies game

https://streamable.com/8hwm
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Oh and full games here

http://www.rugbyfilms.tk/2016-super-rugby

Only Rd1 so far.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Even if we had a side who could chuck the ball around like a SH side once they would come up against a dross side playing at spoiling at every opportunity then they would get dragged into a dogfight, the Super Rugby needs both sides to play the same style before it becomes a spectator spectacle.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

The Melbourne Rebels are crap. I'd say we'd give them a game!
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

The current game Bulls v Rebels is in many ways worse than the shyte we saw last night. At least Zebre were prepared to tackle but here on either side of halftime Rebels conceded 4 tries in 9 minutes before scoring 2 themselves in 4 minutes.

6 tries in 13 minutes of utter garbage. The sort of people who enjoy that should go and watch basketball. I hate non contact rugby, even if it was shyte last night, I'd prefer tackling rugby.

And there as I type is another try a few minutes later.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:The current game Bulls v Rebels is in many ways worse than the shyte we saw last night. At least Zebre were prepared to tackle but here on either side of halftime Rebels conceded 4 tries in 9 minutes before scoring 2 themselves in 4 minutes.

6 tries in 13 minutes of utter garbage. The sort of people who enjoy that should go and watch basketball. I hate non contact rugby, even if it was shyte last night, I'd prefer tackling rugby.

And there as I type is another try a few minutes later.
Cheers Baggy I have just logged on to post the very same. Missed tackles all over the shop and not through great attacking play befuddling defenders either, just simple bad technique. From both teams too.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

This should be good here.