Contract Situation

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: Contract Situation

Post by justinr73 »

thecrouch wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:31 pm
justinr73 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:50 pm
thecrouch wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:12 pm He's playing semi-pro level in Australia.

Another pointless signing for us. Surely there is someone already at Ulster, some young lad, who can take whatever minutes this lad is going to get?
We’re losing two so let’s hope there is.

Decent TH props that we’re allowed to sign don’t grow on trees unfortunately.
Is JTA definitely away?

JTA -> French is a serious downgrade.
There was certainly someone from inside the camp at the Cardiff game saying it wasn’t looking promising.

Jeff has given us a totally new dimension. So agile for a such a big fella.

Him and SK in the front row would be fairly tasty but we can’t have that as we might give Leinster a run for their money!
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

justinr73 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:02 pm
thecrouch wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:31 pm
justinr73 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:50 pm
thecrouch wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:12 pm He's playing semi-pro level in Australia.

Another pointless signing for us. Surely there is someone already at Ulster, some young lad, who can take whatever minutes this lad is going to get?
We’re losing two so let’s hope there is.

Decent TH props that we’re allowed to sign don’t grow on trees unfortunately.
Is JTA definitely away?

JTA -> French is a serious downgrade.
There was certainly someone from inside the camp at the Cardiff game saying it wasn’t looking promising.

Jeff has given us a totally new dimension. So agile for a such a big fella.

Him and SK in the front row would be fairly tasty but we can’t have that as we might give Leinster a run for their money!
If D4 block JTA then they should be burned out.
paddybrown
Novice

Post by paddybrown »

Even if JTA does re-sign, he'll be going to the World Cup with Samoa. With O'Toole off with Ireland and Marty Moore unlikely to be fit, that leaves Milasinovich as our only tighthead for the early part of the season. If James French can give us a bit of cover until we get our internationals back, I wouldn't sniff at that.

During the Ireland tour of New Zealand, there was some talk in the media that Ireland could call up Oli Jager from the Crusaders, who went to school in Ireland. Maybe he'd be an option longer-term?
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

I would rather see one of our own young lads get some exposure that pay this guy to do the same thing. Doesn’t sound like he would be any improvement.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

paddybrown wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 6:37 pm Even if JTA does re-sign, he'll be going to the World Cup with Samoa. With O'Toole off with Ireland and Marty Moore unlikely to be fit, that leaves Milasinovich as our only tighthead for the early part of the season. If James French can give us a bit of cover until we get our internationals back, I wouldn't sniff at that.

During the Ireland tour of New Zealand, there was some talk in the media that Ireland could call up Oli Jager from the Crusaders, who went to school in Ireland. Maybe he'd be an option longer-term?
Milasinovich's deal is also up. Only TOT and Moore signed up for next year.
paddybrown
Novice

Post by paddybrown »

After a trawl of Wikipedia, here's all the Irish-qualifies tightheads I could find playing outside of Ireland.

Super Rugby
  • Oli Jager, 27, Crusaders, ex-Blackrock College
Premiership
  • Bryan O'Connor, 24, Gloucester, ex-Ireland u20
    Conor Kenny, 26, Newcastle, ex-Connacht
Championship
  • Corrie Barrett, 24, Bedford Blues, ex-Ulster sub-academy
    Greg McGrath, 26, Jersey Reds, ex-Leinster & Connacht
    Ben Betts, 26, ex-Young Munster
    Ross Kane, 28, Ealing Trailfinders, ex-Ulster
Pro D2
  • Jamie Hagan, 35, Beziers, ex-Leinster & Connacht
    They have Rodney Ah You as still playing at Vannes, but I believe he's now at Limoges in Nationale 2
Without access to genealogical resources to turn up better bets with Irish grannies, that's who's available as short-term cover signings. Unless Leinster, Munster or Connacht have someone they don't need?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Think IRFU have tried to lure Jager over but he’d set his heart on the ABs.

Had just put himself in the frame but needed a neck op and still recovering.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

To probably play for Munster. He wants the ABs but they don't want him.
Last edited by Dave on Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

Given he's not long past having neck surgery with no return date announced, if any Irish province was to be a good fit you'd think it'd be us.
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Pretty sure Jäger has previously stated he’s emigrated to NZ and is looking down the ABs route, he isn’t interested re Ire, this has been looked at previously last 2yrs. Good luck to him.

We’ve signed some absolute tom kite in the past, I’d rather no one, and test a pup for a couple of games behind Milo, than sign crap/injured or somebody crap and injured. Bringing poor quality makeshift players into UR isn’t going to add anything.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Thought it was Hendy's brother at first. I hate signing guys just because they are IQ. We have wasted so much time on this nonsense.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
paddybrown
Novice

Post by paddybrown »

We have Scott Wilson in the academy, and Cameron Doak, Joe Mawhinney and Jack Boal, who got game time for the As this season. But front rowers tend to need a bit more development time than most positions, so no idea if any of them are ready for pro level. The other option is bringing in someone with a bit more experience from the all-Ireland League as short term cover. Worked with Bradley Roberts. Aside from Kyle McCall at Ballynahinch, I've no idea who's out there.

But, to balance out the doom-mongering, the Irish provinces are still in a healthier position squad-wise than some of our URC rivals. Budget cuts at Scarlets mean they'll have to call up players from Llanelli, leading to Llanelli pulling out of the Welsh Premier League because they don't think they can fulfil the fixture list. And Edinburgh have just released a whopping seventeen players (thirteen from the senior squad, including Ulster academy old boy Bruce Houston, four from the academy).
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

Dave wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:03 pm
StandUp wrote:Is this a case of not good enough for Munster so goes to Oz for a bit?
Sloppy thirds.
Honestly would rather just hang on to milo than sign a munster reject that can't get a pro contract. If this rumour turns out to be true it will be so disappointing.
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

allezlesverres wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:25 am
Dave wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:03 pm
StandUp wrote:Is this a case of not good enough for Munster so goes to Oz for a bit?
Sloppy thirds.
Honestly would rather just hang on to milo than sign a munster reject that can't get a pro contract. If this rumour turns out to be true it will be so disappointing.
Agreed. Can’t imagine Milo getting a lucrative contract elsewhere so offer a meagre one here. At least we know what we have and what he’s capable of.
Bringing in an unknown quantity, who can’t get a contract with other clubs is what I would expect from UR though.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Read somewhere Lyttle has hung up the boots if so good luck to him filled in well giving 110% when others were unavailable his misfortune was to be an old fashioned light winger in days when" brick-walls" who could catch a ball have blossomed.

With the inability to kick directly to touch outside the 22 wings now become part of a back three which defends as double full backs behind a back line of 4.

This approach favours players who can catch and kick distance rather than run.in and find space to create an attack.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist