Ulster V Munster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Ithryn
Red Hand Ambassador

Ulster V Munster

Post by Ithryn »

Looks likely that Munster will be fielding a similar side too the one that ran out against Connacht. A definite B team. Here's to hoping we avenge the westies. Though it was a decent performance they put out at home, we are more than capable of taking it. The scrum is weak, and the few times that connacht tried to run the ball Munsters defence was stretched.

Source
http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2588 ... 08,00.html
Why? Why not?
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster V Munster

Post by againstthehead »

good find ithryn,

wow- really didn't expect that to happen! Happy days. It will still be a touch match but very very winnable. A dry day and a couple of early tries and we could be talking bonus points. But let's see what team they select and who we have available.
That all said, it always great to see the big names come to ravenhill and all the sweeter to beat the likes of POC and TOL. But end of the day we're after that top 4 finish and for that the next 2 games are absolutely CRUCIAL!!!!
Let the build up commence!!!
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Really want to beat Munster and Ospreys, just to stick it up em >TC
Cossax
Initiate

Post by Cossax »

I thought our defence was very comfortable against Connacht, though it has been a big dodgy at lineouts and out-wide recently, though with our increased concentration on the breakdown I think we've cemented the out-wide issues, by and large.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Cossax wrote:I thought our defence was very comfortable against Connacht, though it has been a big dodgy at lineouts and out-wide recently, though with our increased concentration on the breakdown I think we've cemented the out-wide issues, by and large.
only watched the first 20 mins of the game. Connacht were so one-dimensional I had to switch off. I hope ulster will give your 3/4 line a bit more of a test! That said, to hammer a side with ur 2nd string is hugely impressive! But disapointing that connacht haven't really moved on from last year - although if leinster play their reserves this weekend it could be fun over on the west coast!
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

this is a disgrace

they better not field a weakened team against connacht after sticking out their first choicers against us.
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Was it 3 or 4 years ago during the 6Ns that Munster sent up a B team ( AIL players etc) to play us, and they won comfortably IIRC. Munster's depth has increased considerably since then.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BR wrote:Was it 3 or 4 years ago during the 6Ns that Munster sent up a B team ( AIL players etc) to play us, and they won comfortably IIRC. Munster's depth has increased considerably since then.
IIRC it was more like a 'C' team
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Munster Squad

Munster: S Deasy, D Hurley, D Howlett, I Dowling, T Gleeson, L Mafi, J de Villiers, P Warwick, D Williams, P Stringer, W du Preez, S Archer, J Brugnaut, T Buckley, D Varley, D Fogarty, M Sherry, M O'Driscoll, D Ryan, A Quinlan, B Holland, N Ronan, T O'Donnell, N Williams.
Antrim Hills
Novice

Post by Antrim Hills »

Ithryn wrote:Looks likely that Munster will be fielding a similar side too the one that ran out against Connacht. A definite B team. Here's to hoping we avenge the westies. Though it was a decent performance they put out at home, we are more than capable of taking it. The scrum is weak, and the few times that connacht tried to run the ball Munsters defence was stretched.

Source
http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2588 ... 08,00.html
Ithryn,

Confirmation of your find. Despite the additions, it's still not near their full team.
But that's their choice, our job is to ignore the selction policy and win the match by having a rock-hard mental attitude.
If they pull on a Munster shirt, it's Munster we're playing, and you never beat them until they're back in the pavilion.

Doug Howlett, Lifeimi Mafi and Alan Quinlan, who all missed the game last weekend against Connacht, are included in Munster's squad for the trip to Ravenhill on Saturday.

Munster: S Deasy, D Hurley, D Howlett, I Dowling, T Gleeson, L Mafi, J de Villiers, P Warwick, D Williams, P Stringer, W du Preez, S Archer, J Brugnaut, T Buckley, D Varley, D Fogarty, M Sherry, M O'Driscoll, D Ryan, A Quinlan, B Holland, N Ronan, T O'Donnell, N Williams.
"Everything has its limit – iron ore cannot be educated into gold." - Mark Twain
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Ronan Ronan where art thou Ronan!
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
notj
Steward

Post by notj »

Here's a question; when is the last time Ronan O'Gara played at Ravenhill?

EDIT: In Munster colours. I know he played here for Ireland against Italy.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

He hasn't, has he? Or did he play in that ireland game v Italy maybe?
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
notj
Steward

Post by notj »

Sorry jackie, i just did that as you were making your post :lol:

I remembered he played here for Ireland, but I can't think of a time he's come with a visiting Munster side off the top of my head.
DHK
Steward

Post by DHK »

The last time I can remember him playing was a friendly interpro played at the end of the 2001/2002 season (just before Leicester beat Munster in the Heineken Cup Final). Might have been Paddy John's last game IIRC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_u ... 980321.stm
Last edited by DHK on Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.