Confirmed - Rush has signed for Ulster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

onthewing
Novice

Confirmed - Rush has signed for Ulster

Post by onthewing »

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynatio ... -25778206/

Blues star Xavier Rush signs Ulster deal
Feb 7 2010 by Simon Roberts, Wales On Sunday
Add a commentRecommend XAVIER RUSH will leave the Blues at the end of the season to join Irish province Ulster.

The Kiwi No 8 has signed a lucrative two-year deal believed to be worth £200,000-a-year to join the former Heineken Cup winners.

The eight-times capped former All Black, who led the Auckland Blues to the Super 12 title, has emerged as one of the most wanted back-row players around.

Guinness Premiership pair Saracens and Worcester Warriors, as well as new Aussie Super 15 franchise Melbourne Rebels, were all in the hunt for Rush’s signature.

He is also understood to have explored the possibility of a move to Japanese rugby.

Rush’s decision to leave the Welsh capital for Belfast after five years with the Blues will be a bitter blow to coach Dai Young.

The 32-year-old has been a key cog in the Blues side, which lifted the Anglo-Welsh Cup and reached the Heineken Cup semi-final last season.

But the Blues simply couldn’t match the final big pay day that Ulster offered Rush in the last major contract of his professional career.

The Blues, however, look set to keep hold of full-back Ben Blair, their other former All Black, who was also out of contract at the end of this season.

Blair is expected to pledge his future to the Blues and sign a new deal.

Young admitted a few weeks ago he was facing a battle to keep two key players who have played major roles in the Blues re-establishing themselves on the European stage.

“We want to keep certain players and Rushie and Ben have been instrumental in getting us to where we are,” he said.

“Being the big players they are, they have attracted a lot of attention and people are chucking real big-money deals at them. We are struggling to meet their expectations at the minute.

“They are focused on what they are doing with the Blues, but obviously we have a big task in trying to match the offers they have had to keep hold of them.

“We want to compete at the highest level but there does come a point where you just cannot afford people.

“That is the same in any business, but Rushie and Ben would be almost impossible to replace.

“We want to keep our best players. There have only been two players – Mike Phillips and Nicky Robinson – who have left since I have been here that I really wanted to keep.

“Every other player has gone through mutual agreement.”
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Re: Confirmed - Rush has signed for Ulster

Post by browner »

Welcome to our very own X-man...the prof...there's only one X in.... :lol:
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
pip14
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by pip14 »

Great now we need a big signing scrum half... :D
ulster will have some forwards pack for next season! :D
You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

£200,000 a year? :shock: Welsh pounds I hope
Soldiers who wanna be heroes number practically zero, but there are millions who wanna be civilians
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Rush is a class act, getting on in years but still one of the best 8's in Magners at present, top class mentor for Diack and Henry, never gives up and always plays to win no matter what the score on the board.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

Quality signing, great news!
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

Xavier Rush taking out the trash
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh-mUk3KAF4
Xavier Rush hard graft
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YZ1fyGewUs&NR=1
Xavier Rush Try - Munster v Blues - 11/09/09
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DntCzP96JTo
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Fantastic signing!!!! Rush and Mueller add some serious power to our front 8 - add in Best and we have one hell of a pack!!! I take it Henry will slot into 6 to cover Ferris?

Smashing signing - well done Ulster rugby!! Now all we need is a scrum half! Although a FB would be nice too...
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
earl the beaver
Novice

Post by earl the beaver »

Stupid signing more like.

Rush won't have signed to play second fiddle to Henry so that means Henry will be missing some game time, he's also an NIQ and with only 4 allowed next season we won't be able to get a decent scrumhalf in.

I just don't get it, yes he's a very good player but backrow is the last place we need to be wasting an NIQ spot on, we have 6 players who have played well at ML level this season and I would have been happier bringing in a academy player or an IQ journeyman and using the money and NIQ spot for a scrumhalf.

We're forking out 200k pa for Rush why couldn't we have just left him be and kept Bossy
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

i hear what your're saying but let's see how things pan out. I'm confident that we'll sign a decent 9.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
colind
Squire

Post by colind »

I reckon it's a great signing.

Given the amount of injuries that Ferris is picking up I'd say he'll be wrapped in cotton wool and we'll see him play less games as the next RWC approaches.

Colin
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

I still reckon a NIQ SH is on the cards.

We were talking to Rush at the same tine as trying to sign one.
It is by no means definite that we will only be allowed 4 NIQ players - can Munster and Leinster achieve that for next year given existing contracts ?

Don't discount Ferris, Rush and Henry at 7. Also as many have said given injuries all 3 of these players will be fully employed next year. We were a man short in back row players - a necessary signing imv
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Very expensive signing given our financial position IMHO
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Dewi Barnes
Squire

Post by Dewi Barnes »

An exceptionally expensive signing for someone who is only at the very best going to be cover for 6 & 8. There is no way he should start in front of Ferris, Henry or an Irish qualified Diack. As Tuohy will no doubt be fully trialled as a no 6 next year the only way Rush will add value will be in some sort of mentoring/coaching role.
A vote for Kimble is a vote for progress!
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Hang on ......... CT, YM and Dewi agreeing ...do I need to go away again
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU