Is Phillip Matthews a complete Ashton ?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Royster
Novice

Is Phillip Matthews a complete Ashton ?

Post by Royster »

Over the past couple of years I have become increasingly disgusted by commentator and ex Ulster and Ireland captain Phillip Matthews. All I ever hear from him is unrelenting criticism of Ulster players appearing in the Ireland shirt. For the first time ever on Saturday he did give some praise to Paddy Wallace and I thought at the time he must be attracting a lot of complaints about his bias from Ulster supporters phoning the BBC to complain. I know that he married a girl from the Republic of Ireland and they say that no one is more critical than a 'convert' but if so he has badly misjudged the situation because no one has been MORE supportive of the Ulster players playing for Ireland than the vast majority of the Leinster supporters. I would urge all Ulster supporters to phone the BBC and complain if he continues in this vein or perhaps you think I am being over sensitive.
cables
Lord Chancellor

Re: Is Phillip Matthews a complete twit ?

Post by cables »

complete twit
Gives the impression that you have scored him 10/10 in this.

That would be a bad tactical move as there is usually someone else worse (or will be).

Let's give him an 8 to leave a wee bit of room for others.

Francis
EOS
Hook
?
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Hot in the Tropics
Novice

Post by Hot in the Tropics »

A case of The older you get, the better you were. But then he was pretty handy ....
Keep it real; not inflamatory
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

I've always found him one of the better summarisers but in truth haven't heard too many commentaries in last couple of years as have been at the games.
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
isleofwighter
Initiate

Post by isleofwighter »

Hhmmm.......Thought he was pretty fair at the weekend, and let's be honest, Trimble didn't exactly play a blinder.

Seemed frightened to kick the ball, although he might have been protecting his hamstring?
Either way, can't see him starting against the French.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

To be fair his undoubted bias is pro-Leinster rather than anti-Ulster; he's not the best loved among Munster supporters either. But I know where you're coming from, annoys the hell out of me too. To be fait he's still miles better than the 'commentators' who are not ex-players - at least he knows the game.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

isleofwighter wrote: Either way, can't see him starting against the French.
trimble? well he's been named on the bench
phillip matthews? he's not even in the squad anymore... e-geek
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
isleofwighter
Initiate

Post by isleofwighter »

Trimble being "named on the bench" doesn't equate to starting!
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

so when you say 'can't see' you're not saying it in the usual sense - ie here's is my opinion; i can't see that happening?
you're actually stating something that's an actual fact?
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
isleofwighter
Initiate

Post by isleofwighter »

Whoa....... I think I've just caught me a Marlin.......

Quick....Matron..... The smelling salts !!!!!!!!! :wink:
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

?
u got a laptop on your boat?
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

Matthews is an awful summariser and his pro Leinster bias is plain for everyone to see. I've started watching RTE to get a more balanced viewpoint.
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

isleofwighter wrote:Hhmmm.......Thought he was pretty fair at the weekend, and let's be honest, Trimble didn't exactly play a blinder.

Seemed frightened to kick the ball, although he might have been protecting his hamstring?
Either way, can't see him starting against the French.

I thought Trimble played quite well while he was on, and very nearly scored from that flat pass off O'Gara. I think his marker just about got a hold of his ankle to bring him down. As for his kicking, it never was his strongest skill though sometimes he can clear his line well. Wish he would learn how to do a chip kick, he's been in some great positions especially when he comes off his wing, where the defence is up and if he executed a chip kick to pop into his hands, he'd be gone. I'd back him against any covering full back to score. Maybe BOD could give him a lesson?

Maybe it's a good thing he doesn't start against the French? Confidence that is only returning is a fragile thing and i can't think of a worse team to start against than a French team who have targeted this game from a long way off. Expect some fireworks.
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

AndyB wrote:Matthews is an awful summariser and his pro Leinster bias is plain for everyone to see. I've started watching RTE to get a more balanced viewpoint.
RTE match commentary is usually pretty good so i'd agree with you there Andy but the numpties Hook and McGurk in the studio are woeful, i know it's just for entertainment but it gets irritating after a while.
Samstew
Squire

Post by Samstew »

I hadn't really ever thought of it as being biased before but I have noticed him incorrectly giving credit to the wrong player for something good during the game!
I had always just put this down to him being "not totally clued up" on the match.
Mind you, the other commentator with him during the Italy game, Mullins I think, was even bl**dy worse.
Bring on Brian Moore, at least you know what your going to get :wink: