Geordan Murphy replaces Rob Kearney

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Geordan Murphy replaces Rob Kearney

Post by fuzzylogic »

Geordan Murphy has been called into the Ireland squad for next weekend's Six Nations clash with England.

The 31-year-old Leicester full-back comes into the panel after Rob Kearney was ruled out of the Twickenham game because of a knee injury.

Murphy has made just three Premiership appearances for the Tigers since dislocating his shoulder in September.

However, he was in superb form in Saturday's 33-11 rout of Gloucester at Welford Road.

Kearney sustained the knee injury in the 33-10 defeat by France and will be out for three to five weeks.

The full-back is also in danger of missing Ireland's home games against Wales and Scotland on 13 and 20 March.

Ireland coach Declan Kidney names his side to face England on Tuesday.
Mary had a little lamb . . .
Ulster throw in
Initiate

Re: Geordan Murphy replaces Rob Kearney

Post by Ulster throw in »

Good he is a fantastic player and not past it yet, rather see him on than that eijet Earls. Though not RWC material.
"If Eddie O'Sullivan had retreated to the Führerbunker, World War 2 would still be going on." Mr. G. Hook
notj
Steward

Post by notj »

I think Dan Tuohys inclusion has pleased me most. He's earned that. Was playing ND1 last Six Nations. Now he's got a shot at the bench for a full test match. Fair play to him, and fair play to Kidney for being willing to pick on form :salut:

Sad for Donnacha Ryan though. Dislocated shoulder, I think.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Not really a huge surprise.He is the only full back available who could even be considered to be of H Cup standard, never mind International standard.

To be honest I'd prefer him at full back than Earls, although Earls could still be named there I suppose and I'd absolutely prefer him to Duffy.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Wonder does he fancy ending his career in Belfast?
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Sorry but Geordan ecxcels at GP/HEC level but is not an international FB. Been found wanting too many times and is a backward step. This will not improve Ireland's chances at Twickenham.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

by pwrmoore on Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:17 am

Sorry but Geordan ecxcels at GP/HEC level but is not an international FB. Been found wanting too many times and is a backward step. This will not improve Ireland's chances at Twickenham.
Surely he is in the perfect position to solve Irelands current full back problem. This current England side with J Wilkinson at 10 play nothing other than typical GP rugby, a rumbling forward pack and a fly half who stands too deep to do anything other than kick the ball!

Shouldnt Geordan excell playing against that game considering he does it week in week out!
Mary had a little lamb . . .
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

we shall see.

RHH your point about a different manager is a good one. I just hope you are right and I am wrong.
Paul.

Ulster throw in
Initiate

pwrmoore wrote:we shall see.

RHH your point about a different manager is a good one. I just hope you are right and I am wrong.
OK Whats your solution to Kearney being out injured?
"If Eddie O'Sullivan had retreated to the Führerbunker, World War 2 would still be going on." Mr. G. Hook
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

I never said I had one. I was just commenting that the return of GM does not fill me with confidence.
Paul.

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Murphy is at his best when he is allowed to play what is in front of him and not stick to plans like EOS decided before the match started.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

The only realistic alternative is Duffy and whilst he played well in the recent 'A' games is not one that would not inspire huge confidence, for me at least.

Murphy's had his chances before and failed, but for this presumably one off game I would go with him. (Is Kearney back for last 2 games? In fairness, Rob will also have to show a bit better - currently a shadow of the REAL man of the Lions series that he was).
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

To be honest I'm glad Murphy is available and had a couple of games under his belt recently. He's had too many chances yes, and he's no wolrd beater but he's our second best fullback by a mile. I'd nearly even put Girv on ahead of Earls.

England will have to think about their tactics now, because they wont try and test Murphy the way they would fancy testing Earls.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

I'm with PWRMoore on this one - does not fill me with confidence and is a step backwards. I'd go with Earls. Question is who for 11 - I'd keep Bowe at fourteen so that rules out Horgan - J. murphy?
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Ulster throw in
Initiate

Setanta wrote:I'm with PWRMoore on this one - does not fill me with confidence and is a step backwards. I'd go with Earls. Question is who for 11 - I'd keep Bowe at fourteen so that rules out Horgan - J. murphy?
Earls is not up to the job. Hes probably the most over hyped player on the Irish squad. I would have Bowe and Trimble on the wing with Shaggy on the bench. No room for Paddy unless DK grows a pair and drops Darcy.