Ulster v Scarlets

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

tommya
Novice

Ulster v Scarlets

Post by tommya »

What a terrible performance
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulster v Scarlets

Post by Rooster »

tommya wrote:What a terrible performance
Sums it up pretty well.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
semi mental
Squire

Post by semi mental »

ryan caldwell shows further proof that he hasn't the brains to be anything but a liability.

and, not that excuses the performance, but the ref was shocking, as most scottish refs tend to be.
'finger puppet' is only ok as a noun.
notj
Steward

Post by notj »

Just a scarily inept showing!

I'd play the strongest available side against Aberavon. They all need to get on the pitch and shake off the rust.
tommya
Novice

Post by tommya »

I pity those who paid to go across and watch that display.
For next magners game put out the Ravens, at least they can win game.
David
Novice

Post by David »

Very disappointing performance to say the least, the ref did not help but you cant blame him for such a poor performance. the team just didnt organise themselves very well. For me one positive was the way that the defence held up during the time that Caldwell was in the bin once again. I am not sure if the amount of time that he spends in the bin is down to over enthusiasm or he just does not listen to what referees are saying during the game.
chunky
Novice

Post by chunky »

I think he's just thick. total liability.
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Post by for dog and ulcer »

Deaf, thick or both- must be getting near a record for ratio of cards to games. A liability- as soon as his name appears on the team sheet you know what will happen. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Caldwell really hasn't a clue - there was one time when he won Ulster a penalty but he hadn't a clue what was going on and look at the ref and but his hands up. It was embarassing
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Post by for dog and ulcer »

There were times tonight when I was asking myself if I cared any longer- another comedy of ineptitude. I turned over to the Connacht match and thought they were playing better only to see them give away a lead against a 14 man Glasgow in the last seconds. I think I'll just go to bed. :roll: :roll:
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Shocking, inept and even worse, we had very few players who really seemed like they cared.

Struggling to think of any positives. Reminded me a lot of the dark old days.....
Rob6
Initiate

Post by Rob6 »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_u ... 549548.stm

match report from the BBC.... more interesting though is that the they have a video of the penalty (that never was) that was giving for shouting.
Hustle......Loyality......Respect

U...L....S...T...E...R...R...R...R...R...R...R

Don't Stop Believing!!!!!!!!

Supporting Ulster Rugby should come with a health warning!!
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

Very very disappointing. This season was showing some promise, but now I'm not sure we have turned the corner.
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

Agreed that was a hopeless performance. Brought pressure on ourselves by gifting Scarlets field position by not handling the high ball. Compounded that by poor defence and when we did get into their half, coughing the ball up through poor handling, forward passes etc when it would have been easier to score.

We did not play to the ref. I didn't think he was as bad as usual - very difficult to call the 'not knock on' before the 2nd try and whilst Cave won the turn over legally Allen did give him several warnings to leave the ball before he pinged him. Same with Caldwell - you have to have the discipline to take a step back, to get your hands off the ball when he calls it.
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
brianc
Warrior Assassin

Post by brianc »

Watched the game again before commenting as I couldn't believe we were quite as bad as first viewing, but I am sorry to say we were. Honestly can't think of a positive aspect of anyone's performance. Basic skills level were unbelieveably poor, (I wonder what the record for dropped "high balls" is?), penalty count was huge, I know Allen is a complete tube, but why are our players so stupid?. I think everyone knows Caldwell is dumb, but Pollock is really equally bad. The most upsetting thing for me was the complete lack of passion/desire. I have been very critical of posters who think the players "dont care", but last night I could understand why someone might think that. Anyway, following the rant, a quick summary of where I think we are, (no changes from my previous position by the way!!!)

1. We need an at least average outhalf, pointless worrying about other positions when we have 2 such substandard players in this position
2. Pointless contuining with Caldwell, let him go
3. Get Tuohy out of back row, (anyone still think Rush was a waste of money by the way???????)
4. Faloon should really get the 7 shirt back, Pollock is becoming a liability
5. Have said many many times, let Jim go, absolutely no use to us, (hopefully will have great success somewhere warmer/drier)
6. Clinton at fullback, have largely stayed out of the Smith debate as I always seem critical of young players, but he has no clue at this level

Other than all that, not sure what else to add, so off for a large cappucino :P

PS Those are my thoughts after claming down a bit!!! Wife confiscated the laptop last night straight after the match!