Ian Humphreys

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Gazpacho
Novice

Ian Humphreys

Post by Gazpacho »

Has our most talented OH become one of the 'disappeared'? McLaughlin is rotating all positions except Humphs (PW doesnt count - Kidney requested it). IH is sometimes flakey but gets the back line buzzing and great to watch. All of the most enjoyable games last season had him at the helm. Ok relatively good start to this season on paper for the team but lets be honest a bit like watching grass grow! Very predictable in the backline - no spark and missing valuable bonus points. At least give IH a run to give us some entertainment from time to time!
Bring Humph On!!
Squire

Re: Ian Humphreys

Post by Bring Humph On!! »

I wonder if its an exile imposed to teach him a lesson after his wee strop during the Bath match pre-season??
"But going forward, at Ulster Rugby, one thing will never change. As long as this great club exists, the person and the player, Nevin Spence, will never be forgotten."

IF!!! ..... I CAN DO NOTHING WITH IF!!
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Humph certainly has his flaws but is by far the better overall package. Sorry, NOC is never going to be anything more than an average Magners League player, I'd have Adam Larkin ahead of him.

We aren't going to go anywhere without him this season. We will push and shove with our big pack, we'll likely get 4 wins in the Heiney. We will get very few 4 try bonus points. McLaughlin has always been a conservative coach, he now has the big pack to get away with playing conservatively. I don't think we'll see iHumph until it's too late.

On song iHumph has the better teritorial game of our 2 outhalfs. Just is morelikely to take the head staggers, which McLaughlin is scared of. We would have lost against Stade last year with NOC at outhalf. I hope we don't lose to Biarritz.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
StandUlstermen
Novice

Post by StandUlstermen »

Unfortunately all the good work and platform which is earned by Muller, Ferris, Barker and Caldwell is being wasted. We look toothless and lacking any real direction in the backs. Pienaar will of course add massively to this but NOC doesnt have the attacking instinct to unlock decent defences. iHUmph must be in seriously bad shape to warrant being continually overlooked but i cant see this changing.
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

We do seem to forget things quickly. Last season iHumph made quite a few MOTM performances. Yes I agree that he has had some total mares but it's not like NOC is producing heroic performances either. I really wanted NOC to do well these last few games but as mentioned by others, if he's not a "flair" 10 like iHumph is, he HAS to be a good kicker at the very least. IH really needs a go before the HEC and with Pienaar IMHO.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

yep, it'll be very unfair to Humphreys if he doesn't get a crack. NOC has had more than enough chance but still hasn't brought anything more to the table than a big boot.

Ulster will have 3 very satisfactory kickers on the field if they put out pienaar-iHumph-Wallace as well as 3 great attackers. I see no point in NOC what so ever until he continues to improve his attacking game
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

Was it not rumoured last season that Humps was getting the first half of the season and NOC the second,or is my memory fading,and if not is this rotation going to be the same for this season ?
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
StandUlstermen
Novice

Post by StandUlstermen »

It was indeed Bootlaced but whether there is truth in that i dont know. I would hope to god its not taking place this season.
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

bootlaced wrote:Was it not rumoured last season that Humps was getting the first half of the season and NOC the second,or is my memory fading,and if not is this rotation going to be the same for this season ?
I'm just making a guess but going by his tweets, he's been "disappointed" not to make the team for the last couple of matches, that would imply that it's not a half & half season for him & NOC, but I could be wrong.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Gazpacho
Novice

Post by Gazpacho »

If he doesnt play against Glasgow, B McL obviously has a big problem with him - what a waste!
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Gazpacho wrote:If he doesnt play against Glasgow, B McL obviously has a big problem with him - what a waste!
Time for bed Ian, kicking practise in the morning... :wink:
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

I beleive Humphreys has not been playing because his kicking cofidence is zero and for that reason I understand why NOC has started.

However with Pienaer available this weekend I think we simply have to go with Pienaer, Humphreys and Wallace to see what they can do. It just might be what we need. Pienaer should take all penalty kicks - out of hand and for points.
The Ulsterian
Initiate

Post by The Ulsterian »

Bring Humph On!! wrote:I wonder if its an exile imposed to teach him a lesson after his wee strop during the Bath match pre-season??
If this is the case or if iHumph has had a disagreement with one of the coaches or clash in personallities surely what's best for UR should come first.
Is it a case of iHumph not sticking to the game plan and this is frowned upon? :scratch:

Brings back memories of the superior Humph senior and O'Gara in Ireland games. :sad:
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

He's not good enough. Get your head around it!!
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Neither is NOC!