where did you play?

Questions for the players, the management, the UAFC, the URSC or other supporters... Someone might answer you!! (and pigs might fly)

Moderator: Moderators

fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

where did you play?

Post by fermain »

Having listened to the anlaysis by the masses on here, I wondered... Have any of these guys really pleayed rugby?
What position?
me, hooker! and godammit I loved it!
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: where did you play?

Post by Jackie Brown »

fermain wrote:Having listened to the anlaysis by the masses on here, I wondered... Have any of these guys really pleayed rugby?
What position?
me, hooker! and godammit I loved it!
I started as a 6 and moved to Hooker. I was never any good though.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

Poor LHP for me.

Can't say if I was better/worse than JB as I don't believe it is even remotely possible that I scrummaged against him. :wink:
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

centre/wing - but not really fast enough
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Second row - social rugby only.

Bit of back row at school, back in the days when you could break off and nail the scrum-half ... ahhh ... happy days :)
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Started off in the back row due to size, moved to back three due to pace, and eventually moved back to back row due to increasing size and decreasing pace :D
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Fullback then had to retire at 14, not position but age :(
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

I played on the wing, as far away from the nasty fat guys as possible!
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

I recall lurking/hiding/feigning injury somewhere in the backs (deeming the wing a bit risky as you were after all usually the last chap with the ball in his hand) on the team of wasters & skivvers that were reluctantly assembled (our regular prayers for heavy rain usually failing to come to anything) to give the 5th XV their practice games. It was horrible but i did somehow escape any long term serious injuries - usually by slipping well short of any actual action.

For the avoidance of any doubt i should add that apart from the rugby my general experiences of life @ Campbell College seemed to be slightly less fraught than many other folk who have graced it's hallowed walls with their presence.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

Mainly full-back, often centre, a few times wing which given my pedestrian pace was a joke. Occasional scrum half & an emergency wing forward & hooker once.

Preferred full-back but having played in the pre-gum shield era I reckon I lost more teeth than any forward having been convinced by a teacher & former international ref that "a wee man like you like you needs to take them low."

Amusingly it appears we were all crap :lol:

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

from the school of coarse rugby,played tighthead,and the odd game at hooker,even played wing once ha ha,played in England and Wales as well
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Flanker at junior school, centre for the rest. Finished at 23 with back and neck injuries.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Another crap player - scrum half for a variety of lower down the club XVs in Ireland, England, Scotland and Australia. I wasn't even good at being annoying and obnoxious like any decent scrum half should be. :wink:
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BR wrote:Bit of back row at school, back in the days when you could break off and nail the scrum-half ... ahhh ... happy days :)
School days only - started off at 9 or 11/14 but finished off at (what was known then as) wing-forward. Switched to the round ball game at weekends when around 16/17.

Nothing special at any position, but when playing flanker, such was the level that if you nailed the oppo 9 and got penalised, it was never kicked. Used to nail him a number of times at the start of the match even if the ball didn't come back on his side and it sure made him one nervous bunny so that when it did come back on his side he would start looking for the challenge and probably knock-on - result - scrum reversed, our put in. After the first 5 minutes, you could leave him be and still get the same result. (If he got his confidence back, you just did it a few more times later on to remind him).

Gamesmanship or cheating? Certainly the latter, but it's what we were coached to do and not something I'm proud of now. Did it help to win matches? Of course it did.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

mikerob wrote:Another crap player - scrum half for a variety of lower down the club XVs in Ireland, England, Scotland and Australia. I wasn't even good at being annoying and obnoxious like any decent scrum half should be. :wink:
That's skill you've only developed recently then!!!! :wink: :stir:
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red: