Worst performance of professional era?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Was tonight's game against Munster the worst performance by Ulster in professional era?

Yes
11%
No
89%

Total votes: 45

aarons
Lord Chancellor

Worst performance of professional era?

Post by aarons »

Since full time Ive said a number of times that that was worst performance of professional era. Am wondering if i'm right or whether ive forgotten worse things...

If you vote no above, id be interested to know which game you think was worse. Only thing I can think of is heineken cup match against ospreys in swansea a couple of years ago... But still think tonight was worse
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Worst performance of professional era?

Post by Jackie Brown »

No, only beaten by the inept performance against the Scarlets in the Heiney a few years back, the one when the heavens opened in a hailstorm with 2mins to go just to add to the misery.

Worst in the Magners? I can't think of a more abject performance myself.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

Jackie Brown wrote:No, only beaten by the inept performance against the Scarlets in the Heiney a few years back, the one when the heavens opened in a hailstorm with 2mins to go just to add to the misery.

God yes, that was awful

I still think tonight was worse though - the uniquely dispiriting combination of having/making considerable territory and keystone cops approach to making anything of it. That scarlets team was a great side, munster A are not in the same league
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

remember remember, Ulster 21 - Munster 24
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

Jackie Brown wrote:remember remember, Ulster 21 - Munster 24
Brian carney's sole night of >TC glory
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

Pick any one from about 20 played in much better conditions over the last few years. For example last week was infinitely worse as we made probably 3 times as many errors at least as this week. I have been watching a replay and if you do so you may be surprised that it wasn't nearly as bad as you obviously thought - apart from the obvious.

Simple fact is we actually played well enough that we should have won, not that this is indicative of a high class performance. This was another match that we threw away by missing 2 very easy kicks. Some have said we could have played all night and not scored a try however we were the only team who came remotely close to doing so in the 80 minutes before we gifted them one.

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

I thought when Quinlan retired early we would be spared another embarrassment... Sadly not...

Think about it though, how many Caps did we have, in total, from numbers 11-15, and how many of those belonged to Whitten? (Who must be still rated as inexperienced)
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

I think the most frustrating thing about tonight is, over the 80minutes, we were the better team. Don't be fooled, Munster where brad pitt tonight. However, the history books will say we were even shitter.

Our inability ot take our opportunities has really hit home over the last 3 games. We need to sort it out or we are gonna be royally fecked. Not only will we have underachieved and been rubbish for a tenth straight season, but, we will also be lumbered with a far larger wage bill which demands us to at least make the Amblin AT LEAST!! I would like to say the only was is up, but it's hard not to stare into the abyss.
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

Jackie Brown wrote:I think the most frustrating thing about tonight is, over the 80minutes, we were the better team. Don't be fooled, Munster where brad pitt tonight. However, the history books will say we were even shitter.

Our inability ot take our opportunities has really hit home over the last 3 games. We need to sort it out or we are gonna be royally fecked. Not only will we have underachieved and been rubbish for a tenth straight season, but, we will also be lumbered with a far larger wage bill which demands us to at least make the Amblin AT LEAST!! I would like to say the only was is up, but it's hard not to stare into the abyss.
But you can't discount the weakness of that munster side... The notion that we were the better side is surely a complete red herring...
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Jackie Brown wrote:No, only beaten by the inept performance against the Scarlets in the Heiney a few years back, the one when the heavens opened in a hailstorm with 2mins to go just to add to the misery.

You were on the right track - Scarlets 43 - 17 Ulster a day of utter shame & Matt Williams last match if I'm not mistaken. It appeared as if they showed what they thought of him by not bothering their collective arses apart from one excellent late try by Paul Marshall by which stage the Scarlets feeding frenzy had lured them into a somnolent state. A performance that made tonight look excellent.

The problem with this thread is that you are reacting to disappointment with a disproportionate response. If you really think it was worse than last week, never mind the above, I would suggest strong coffee to sober up.

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Fly Half
Steward

Post by Fly Half »

I seem to remember some seriously abject performances at the end of the McCall era, with players not trying and that IMO is no performance at all. Getting dumped by the Ospreys seconds was bad as were the clueless performances against Edinburgh last year. Even the win against Aironi away was probably worse with far more errors throughout the team.
The future isn't what it used to be
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

aarons wrote: That scarlets team was a great side, munster A are not in the same league
No they weren't. They were below us in the league before that game. They finished 23 points behind the champions & 12 behind 4th place. We went into the game with the chance of a decent finish - 5th place after a 2nd half of the season collapse - usual thing - but they cleaned us & they finished 5th and we collapsed to 8th. A disgustingly shameful performance whereas tonight may have lacked plenty but effort isn't one of those things.

Many of our younger players showed better than previously, unfortunately it was the "big" players who let us down tonight.

Fly Half - spot on. :thumleft:

Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Was the Munster side any weaker than we were?

15. D'Arcy v Deasey Both inexperienced
14. McCrea v Howlett Howlett wins hands down
13. Whitten v Murphy I'd say Murphy for this, experience at HC and GP
12. Spence v Dineen Both inexperienced
11. McIlwaine v Hurley Hand it to the Munster man

10. Humphreys v Warwick Humph being our No.1, but in reality too close to call
9. Pienaar v Stringer Too close to call

1. McAllister v Du Preez
2. Brady v Varley I'll go with Brady as he's been around longer but Varley has been involved with ireland so again not that clear cut
3. B Young v Hayes
4. Muller (cpt) v Holland
5. Barker v Nagle
6. Wannenburg v Quinlan Quinaln wasn't on long enough
7. Faloon v Ronan
8. Diack v Coughlan

So in reality, 6 of the positions on the field, experience wise, fall to Munster, 6 (maybe 5) fall to Ulster, 3 (maybe 4) are to close to call. Yeah it was a weakened Munster team but it was also a severly weaken Ulster team as well, jez just look at the backline. Not helped by playing players out of position!!!!!
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

backawaygoonahead wrote:

You were on the right track - Scarlets 43 - 17 Ulster a day of utter shame & Matt Williams last match if I'm not mistaken. It appeared as if they showed what they thought of him by not bothering their collective arses apart from one excellent late try by Paul Marshall by which stage the Scarlets feeding frenzy had lured them into a somnolent state. A performance that made tonight look excellent.

The problem with this thread is that you are reacting to disappointment with a disproportionate response. If you really think it was worse than last week, never mind the above, I would suggest strong coffee to sober up.
nope I'm thinking of the Ulster 11 Scarlets 35 :cry:
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Jackie Brown wrote:Was the Munster side any weaker than we were?

15. D'Arcy v Deasey Both inexperienced
14. McCrea v Howlett Howlett wins hands down
13. Whitten v Murphy I'd say Murphy for this, experience at HC and GP
12. Spence v Dineen Both inexperienced
11. McIlwaine v Hurley Hand it to the Munster man

10. Humphreys v Warwick Humph being our No.1, but in reality too close to call
9. Pienaar v Stringer Too close to call

1. McAllister v Du Preez
2. Brady v Varley I'll go with Brady as he's been around longer but Varley has been involved with ireland so again not that clear cut
3. B Young v Hayes
4. Muller (cpt) v Holland
5. Barker v Nagle
6. Wannenburg v Quinlan Quinaln wasn't on long enough
7. Faloon v Ronan
8. Diack v Coughlan

So in reality, 6 of the positions on the field, experience wise, fall to Munster, 6 (maybe 5) fall to Ulster, 3 (maybe 4) are to close to call. Yeah it was a weakened Munster team but it was also a severly weaken Ulster team as well, jez just look at the backline. Not helped by playing players out of position!!!!!

I said all this in the last couple of days but was assured we should stuff Munster 2XV. (Not looking for a pat on the head nor a coconut as a prize - just a fact) Now, just to throw a bit of petrol on the fire somebody explain the following.

Deccie releases 3 Munster players initially - then all of a sudden Varley is released to go straight into the team. I'm assuming that was to prevent Munster becoming the new Ospreys as they had injury issues. All not unreasonable given Munster's huge contribution to the national panel.

On the other side of the coin Ulster have no players released - not unreasonable I hear you say as there are only 5 involved. Then BJ is declared unfit & we have to go to 2 AIL props on the bench - no sign of a compassionate release from Tom Court.

So is Deccie playing a favouritism card for his home province? Were we done over like a kipper?

I know the answer by the way. Just playing the part of Mr F Wit of Rathcoole by lobbing a petrol bomb into the mix :bom: