Positives and Neg's Ulster V Munster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Positives and Neg's Ulster V Munster

Post by againstthehead »

Positives
- great intensity in the 1st half - even up the yellow card we were matching munster pretty well at the breakdown. Massive improvement compared to last week
- had a real go at munster in the wide channels and caused them all sorts of probs. The key to this game was to get munster involved in an open game and we achieved this in the first half. However, when we went down to 14, Munster were in their element, scrummaging and 5 m lineouts
- defence: excellent most of the night - great committment.
- marshall(9) was a livewire throughout and probably should have scored...
- our best try of the season: loved the support play of the backrow
- Thought caldy put in a session
- Anderson didn;t do half bad
- scrum was solid without Court and BJ
- faloon had a typically robust game at 7
- Luke Marshall: I think I might like this guy...
- all the big guns rested for Treviso and Biarritz :)

Negatives
- error count HORIFIC - namely, offsides, knock-ons under the high ball, lineouts and RESTARTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cost us the game - many of the Munster points came from us coughing up posession rather than being put under pressure - dissapointing
- some very rusty performances - but then the likes of Smith and Besty haven't played much.
- lack of power on the bench. No match for Munster
- playing on at the end. we had nothing to play for but gifted Munster a BP. Gutsy but amateur. (sums up the performance)
- although PW had a decent game, he wasn't able to dictate where the game was played. There was a lot of slow ball out there that was begging for a 10 to push Munster back into their 22 but it didn't happen all night. He looked sharp enough though.

Overall, a dreadful result but IMHO a very respectable performance. The error count was poor but look at the number of changes made to the side - can only be expected. Well done lads, good effort. Now for the must-win games....
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
29xThePain
Squire

Re: Positives and Neg's Ulster V Munster

Post by 29xThePain »

Positives;

- The first 20-25 minutes
- some young players fronted up well
- it could have been a lot worse if Warwick kicked his points

Negatives;

- Discipline (or lack of)
- the amount of tries we leaked
- Not taking our chances.

I don't want to write anymore, it could push me to tears...
Follow me on Twitter
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

Againstthehead - How exactly did pw have a good game?

One moment summed it up for me - after we got reprieved in the scrum at 65 mins munster were running back at us - possession given away witlessly. Who was in charge tactically?
Binman
Novice

Post by Binman »

Positives
good first 20 and an excellent score.
Luke continues to look the real deal. Although he hasn't got the pace for a centre and should line up at 10.
Paul Marshall was very good again.
I didn't drive down to Limerick to watch the game.

Negatives
the refereeing was as poor as I've seen this year.
Too many of our squad are AIL standard at best.
Discipline was poor again.
Restarts!!!!
Gifting the turnips a bonus point.
Rory shouldnt be our starting hooker.
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

Positives
I've calmed down now.

Negatives
I got so fecking angry!

Mum 8)
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Positives
Marshall

Negatives
Marshall

One minute Paul is great and plays some stuff that could easily get him MOTM awards and an International cap, then next move his brain drops out on the pitch and he makes you wonder why he even has an Ulster contract.
He has had a few good matches but usually does something totally daft before the end of the match.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Adrenalin seems to get the better of him and the mist descends. He’s got too much game for his own good. You have got to love his attitude, but it can be a liability to the team.
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

positives
cocks of the walk first half :cheers:
negatives
total cocks second half :?
We dont need the English to win the European Cup
King Ding
Squire

Post by King Ding »

Positive:
-More spirit in defence than there was on tuesday and we really dug in when we needed to until the 65th minute
-backrow played pretty well, faloon was very good all game and diack and henry were good when they were on the pitch, henrys teackle on earls being a highlight. Anderson was average, he took his try well, but putting it in perspective peter stringer is as a last man as any attackers dream, but right place right time so fair play to him, still dont think he is much above AIL standard though.
-we aren't required to play wallace at 10 anymore, he had a decent game imo, but RP or i Humph from now on please
-Thought Luke marshall did well and didn't look out of his depth
-The D'arcy vs Smith debate is a complete no brainer, thought smith was poor and whenever he got the ball never really looked like doing anything and his catching was poor.

Negative's, to name but a few:
-Not having the sense to have our big guns on the bench. We really needed spence or trimble at the end to bring on and really challenge munster, something neither wingers were really doing. We really needed tuohy or muller for 2nd row cover especially when barker left.
-CALDWELL the amount of times i shouted his name in anger, had at least 6 penalties against him, and with at least 4 of those simpy for being stupid, needlessly pushing a player, standing offside, coming in from the side. He carried OK, but in an ideal world he wont be near a match day squad barring an injury crisis, cause he is such a liability. Just doesn't have the brains to be a good professional.
-Marshalls inability to be sensible, dont get me wrong i think he had a good game, really kept munster on there toes and gave good service, but the ref hadn't called munster for being not 10 the whole night and he insisted on taking a quick tap and costing us a try when we should have kicked the corner. Hes good, but no peinaar.
-Leadership, or lack there off. Someone should have been telling marshall to calm it down, namely the captain, same thing at the end, we had nothing to gain yet went for it, handing them a try, even when they came back at us seymour had the chance to get it out and chipped it over the top and they scored directly from it. >#
- The REF. The most biased performane ive seen for a while, only started to penalise munster at the breakdown at the end of the game and was very harsh on ulster all night. At scrum time especially, even EOS pointed it out, got it completely wrong with the scrums, punishing young and not buckly whenevr it was clearly not the ulsters players fault. Disgraceful show from him

Overall a pretty crap game, not as bad as monday, cause we actually threw the ball about a bit and were unlucky to not be more ahead but still the same problems exist in each match and aren't being addressed, making me wonder what exactly they do all week in training?
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

It really galls me to say it but Rory cant throw and should not play until he can .Change him for Kyri or Brady and Caldwell penalty machine for Muller to captain the side and I think the Result would have been different .
We dont need the English to win the European Cup
rosetintedgoggles
Novice

Post by rosetintedgoggles »

One big negative for me- gifting those feckin Turnips a bonus point!

Marshall needs to put his brain in gear and studs in his boots. Also that bieber Seymour should have booted the feckin ball into the centre of Limerick rather than chip it to a turnip.

Really naive performance. McGlock got the result his selection warranted!

Total crap!
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Positives,
+ First 12mins
+ Wallace offered more than NOC
+ Luke Marshall should be 2nd in line behind Wallace for 12 shirt
+ The try, great movement and continuity. More please.

Negatives,
- Rory Best, he's an Ulsterman through and through but he just doesn't offer what he used t since his neck operation. Little leadership from him, he should have been banging heads together.
- Caldwell, thick as pig brad pitt, enough said.
- Marshall (the little one), some people have him as a positive!! He's mental, trys farrrrr to hard, forces the game and runs about like a headless chicken. He should have backed himself on his break, cost us a try and kicked poorly.
- I don't want to single out Seymour, McIlwaine, McComb, Young or Fitzpatrick. They shouldn't have been starting, unbelievable selections.
- Smith needed the game time, was poor.
- McLaughlin, embarrassment, last 2 games have been nothing short of a disgrace. The players have tried their best (certainly in Limerick) but they were Lions commanded by Donkeys. I hope the "World Wide Search" has begun.
- Officials, that ref was a joke. A complete and utter incompetent joke, similar to that dick who ref'd us on Monday.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
King Ding
Squire

Post by King Ding »

Jackie Brown wrote: - I don't want to single out Seymour, McIlwaine, McComb, Young or Fitzpatrick. They shouldn't have been starting, unbelievable selections.
I agree with seymour McIlwaine and McComb, not up to this standard yet, the first 2 have been given plenty of chance and never impressed so others should be given ago, not really bothered who cause realistically they couldn't be much worse than what we have. How has Allen been playing this year. Whats happened to Cochrane, he looked very promising as a youngster and is Gaston up to much? if your going to experiment with youth give these guys a go.
McComb hasn't been given as many chances as the others so not right to make a judgement on him yet but the signs aren't that promising.

However i dont see how it was wrong to start Young, hes made plenty of appearnaces this year and reading the initial team sheet his selection made sense, the poor reffing of the scrum made the night hard for him as the calls went against him but i didn't think he was terrible.
Fitzpatrick needed the gametime but maybe should just have been used from the bench, saying that he did well against du preez and solidified the scrum after young went off so no complaints there from me.
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Just home from Limerick. I see a lot of negativity on here. I actually came away from the ground reasonably satisfied. Yes in the end we were well beat but it was`nt the complete slaughter session I expected with that team we sent down there. Quickly flicked through match on iplayer.

A few points just:-

-We give up possession so easily:- pens, restarts, poor handling - ends up putting more and more pressure on team. Basically handed most of Munsters points to them on a plate.
-Theres rotation and then theres rotation. Could mglock not have rested some of are first teamers against the Cardiffs, Edin, and Trevisos of this world. That Munster team were there for the taking. Frustrating. These are the games the fans want to win and im sure the players are the same.
-Overall we played well but we played stupidly. Plenty of committment (think it was 13/14 out of 15 were Ulstermen)was Mglock trying to make a point to our imports? Do we have a kicking game at all? Was plenty of space for punts for territory but not seen and not used.
-Ref was awful - tried my best to look at it from both sides but my word the standard in this league is dreadful.
-Discipline - how hard is it to draw an imaginary line in your head accross the field behind the hind most foot and STAY BEHIND IT. Coming in from the side is another one that amuses me.
-Luke Marshall looks the part.
-Thomand Park - great stadium, crap atmosphere, annoying fans.
-That Munster team are awful, offered very little other than the finishing prezzies they were gift wrapped from Ulster. How have they won so many games this season, how are they top?!
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

/Thomand Park - great stadium, crap atmosphere, annoying fans./

lol = please explain?

I have to say, the negativity on this page is killing me - I must have been watching a different game...
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'