Mark McCrea and Niall O'Connor sign for Connacht

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

mariachi
Novice

Mark McCrea and Niall O'Connor sign for Connacht

Post by mariachi »

The Boo Radleys
Warrior

Re: Mark McCrea and Niall O'Connor sign for Connacht

Post by The Boo Radleys »

So the merry-go-round starts! Lets look for really good replacement!
The six most dangerous words in the English Language - Your reward will come in Heaven...
baldy
Novice

Post by baldy »

Good Luck to both Players!
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

so much for McCrea taking time out - looks like he was simply over-looked this season. I know he's not a world-beater, but I can't for the life of me understand why we brought Emerick in, and played McIlwaine out of position, rather than give him a run. Always liked him, and hope he gets a good run at Connacht..

Likewise NOC - I think he caught too much flak on here, but in truth he hasn't kicked on in the last year or two.

(The one Connacht fans will be most excited about by a mile though is Naoupu!)
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

The Boo Radleys wrote:So the merry-go-round starts! Lets look for really good replacement!
Merry go round indeed. Havent Carr & Keatly gone the way of Leinster & Munster so far to be replaced by these two so i wonder where our incomers are going to come from...I'd say Steeno may replace NOC and Gilroy to step up to McCrea's contract. If I'm right Steenson might well have signed if ulster are allowing this to be released

I dont think NOC will ever be much of a big player at ML level, but then Elwood made a career out of playing the percentages and kicking accurately. If he can get NOC to that level he'll be the better for the move.

Sorry to see that McCrea never made a breakthrough here, of all our second choice players he's always looked the one back who was physically robust enough to step up. Perhaps playing centre/wing/fullback hasnt helped.
bangorboy
Steward

Post by bangorboy »

After all the negativity about him recently I am glad NOC has had a chance to move on and hopefully progress. My heart went out at the Leinster match when the team lists were called out as the was a tumbleweed moment when he was announced. Bad for him and a poor showing from the crowd IMHO. Good luck to both of them.
Nevin Spence - Forever an Ulsterman
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

I take it Elwood wasn't that struck on the 3 for 2 deal with TJ thrown in as the free one?
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

Good luck to them both.
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
TheElephantMan
Steward

Post by TheElephantMan »

Good luck to the boys,hope you get more game time in Galway.........Good luck and thanks for the time at Ulster.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

I for one think it is a cracking move for Mark ... he's very unlikely to get much game time at wing or centre here now, but he has a lot to offer - he might even get to play at 12, where he has been outstanding at Malone in the past.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

:salut: Good luck to them both, NOC was going nowhere with us and I don't think McCrea got the chances.

To develop our squad they are definitly the right players to go. It looks like NOCs game time at the start of the season was his 'last chance salon' to get a new contract.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Jackie Brown wrote::salut: It looks like NOCs game time at the start of the season was his 'last chance salon' to get a new contract.

Which to be fair he seized with both hands, steadied himself, looked up and majestically sliced over the roof of Corpy box 5 and on through into Mrs Cruthers front window on 48 Mount Merrion road.
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

No real loss to Ulster rugby and will free up a good few pounds. I'd assume we have a 10 lined up and we are well covered by Gilroy, Spence and Luke Marshall.
King Ding
Squire

Post by King Ding »

Good Luck to both players.
This should be a good move for McCrea, with carr going he should be able to get gametime, although i cant understand why he is so out of favour here that seymour and McIlwaine are ahead of him in the pecking order.
As for NOC you can say he got a lot of flack on here and the crowd didn't support him, but it wasn't undeservedly after some of the performances he put in. Doubt he will get above Nikora at 10, but maybe elwood might be able to make him a decent player. This surely must mean steenson or another 10 is arriving in, they wont let NOC go without having a look at the younger guys if he wasn't to be replaced with an outside signing.
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »