Aironi v Ulster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Aironi v Ulster

Post by backawaygoonahead »

As our date with destiny approaches all the right noises are being made about what a hard tussle this will be and how we shouldn't count our chickens.

So what is the evidence:
P W D L PF PA PD TS TA TB LB PTS
In HC : Aironi Rugby 5 1 0 4 59 168 -109 4 24 0 0 4
In ML : Aironi 12 0 0 12 128 330 -202 10 33 0 4 4
Total 17 1 0 16 187 498 -311 14 57 0 4 8

Home Results:
ML
15-22 Ulster
9-10 Edinburgh
3-20 Cardiff
17-34 Scarlets
15-16 Treviso

HC
6-22 Bath
28-27 Biarritz

17 matches, 1 win by a single point, thrashed twice by Bath, but then that niggling doubt that they actually beat Biarritz. Averaging almost 30 points against per match with 11 points for on average.

Then of course that struggle we had there early in the season. A closer look at that shows that Ulster fielded:
D'arcy, Seymour, Cave, Wallace, McIlwaine, NOC, Marshall, Court, Brady, Fitzpatrick, Muller, Barker, Wannenburg, Henry, Diack

That is a significantly weaker side than we will field on Saturday, especially behind the scrum with oonly PW & AD 1st choice as Cave will have a fight on his hands to dislodge Nevin Spence. Put Ferris & Tuohy into the pack & it all looks much better.

The fact that they beat BO is something that will ensure our guys don't take them lightly but isn't something to fear, as their results show they are a poor team.

What can't be relied upon is a bonus point & depending on results elsewhere, especially Biarritz, that could be very important and needs us to turn up, be professional, get the game won as early as possible and only then hunt down the tries.

We will win but will we get 5 points, that is the isssue. Our away form is won 4 drawn 1 lost 3, last year I would have had plenty of doubts about winning away against any team - not so this year :red:

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Re: Aironi v Ulster

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
TinPig
Squire

Post by TinPig »

Tear up the form book it's a cup final as far as Ulster are concerned Aironi certainly fancy their chances having sipped victory from the golden chalice.
If Ulster can manage to win we progress, if we come up short then so be it, it means we were not good enough.
Cometh the hour, cometh the Man.
Last edited by TinPig on Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I’m feeling Perky this morning. :pig:
Starsky
Initiate

Post by Starsky »

I just hope the TMO isn't Italian if we need a decision at some point. :duh:
One does not simply walk into Ulster
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

I fully expect a win but a BP will be tough enough. A lot depends on the weather - if it's dry and we can spread the ball we should be in business - especially if we can get off to a good start. However, if it's a slug fest then it could be a long afternoon. If Humph is in form and our scrum holds up we'll win.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Starsky wrote:I just hope the TMO isn't Italian if we need a decision at some point. :duh:
It's worse, he's French :argue:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
TheElephantMan
Steward

Post by TheElephantMan »

This match will be either a walkover or the biggest test todate............Truthfully, i cannot see Aironi playing dead, they will throw everything including the kitchen sink at us.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

As I see it, they are only playing for an upset which is fair motivation and will keep them going for the first 20 minutes, but if they get nowhere in that time, they will fall off a little and we will have our opportunity. Keep it tight for the first quarter and things will gradually open up. We are the better team on a wave of belief that this is our year. If we play it right, we will be OK.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

they'll keep going until we get a 10-13 point lead. End of they day, this match is everything to Ulster, so we'll fight to the end. Aironi have pride in the shirt but that should be no match. On the other hand, we're under a fair bit of pressure to win, whereas, aironi are under none. Can we hack it?
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I think we can, with the leaders we have now and the in form players in key positions.
TheChairman
Novice

Post by TheChairman »

Have faith people. Ulster ARE a better team than Aironi. They have learned how to grind out a win as witnessed last week. They have also shown they can score tries as seen against Treviso. We also know they can loose concentration, however, I firmly believe they will win. Come the end of this round of matches Ulster will be in the top eight, which is more than the Bog Men can say this year. :lol:
Fair fa ya tae Ravenhill.
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Snipe I'm getting pished off saying the same thing time after time - but you are spot on again. It is simply a matter of being mentally right for it and going out to do the business.

What have Aironi to play for - nothing but a little pride and they simply aren't equipped to play our close to full strength side. I have been known to make rash statements in the past but never ever about Ulster Rugby.

This time I have no doubts whatsoever we will win - the only question is by how much and in what manner - trys or kicks.

Breathe easy and lighten up, if you are going to the game - lighten up wet you whistle and have a good yin.

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

backawaygoonahead wrote: Breathe easy and lighten up, if you are going to the game - lighten up wet you whistle and have a good yin.
My breathing is fine at the moment. I shall not be travelling to Italy, but topically I will draw the cork on a fine bottle of Chianti just before kick off and once the formalities are complete, the afore mentioned will have breathed sufficiently to have the first snufter. The task will then be completed in association with a, 28 day hung, slab of Aberdeen Angus at around 7:30.
I expect a full house 3 win rugby fest this saturday.
Last edited by Snipe Watson on Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

Your tellin me to lighten up eh? Well have a look at these animals and tell me I should relax

http://www.aironirugby.eu/en/popup-zoom-par-479.aspx
We dont need the English to win the European Cup
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

namron wrote:Your tellin me to lighten up eh? Well have a look at these animals and tell me I should relax

http://www.aironirugby.eu/en/popup-zoom-par-479.aspx
Thats what I'm talking about Norm, the babe in the glasses is probably the toughest of them all. I think I saw four of the others in my local gay bar the other night when I was a cruisin' :wink: