A New deal for McGlock???

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Bart S
Lord Chancellor

A New deal for McGlock???

Post by Bart S »

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere but hadn't heard much about it.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/s ... 48899.html
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: A New deal for McGlock???

Post by Jackie Brown »

Maybe a good thing? He deserves a year extension and then the good Dr. can start looking at coaches following the WC. Maybe a Kidney/O'Sullivan coaching ticket... :stir:
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
brianc
Warrior Assassin

Post by brianc »

Jackie Brown wrote: Maybe a Kidney/O'Sullivan coaching ticket... :stir:
Jackie, you are a very bad boy, cue a 20 page thread about how crap Kidney & O'Sullivan are :( :(
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

brianc wrote:
Jackie Brown wrote: Maybe a Kidney/O'Sullivan coaching ticket... :stir:
Jackie, you are a very bad boy, cue a 20 page thread about how crap Kidney & O'Sullivan is:( :(
Fixed that for you. Your bad grammar would imply that Kidney & O'Sullivan is two different people.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

:sleeping:
Last edited by ColinM on Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brianc
Warrior Assassin

Post by brianc »

ColinM wrote:With a young squad needing to develop and play together we could do worse ;)

Difficult one, McLock many feel has brought us as far as he can, but on the other hand no one can argue with the evidence in terms of results. The IRFU want indigenous coaches as well
Colin, please, please, please dont start this!!! You are right but I dont think I will be able to stand the drivel that is just about to be spewed all over our beloved board!!
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Start what ;)
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

you talking about me brian? :)
brianc wrote:
ColinM wrote:With a young squad needing to develop and play together we could do worse ;)

Difficult one, McLock many feel has brought us as far as he can, but on the other hand no one can argue with the evidence in terms of results. The IRFU want indigenous coaches as well
Colin, please, please, please dont start this!!! You are right but I dont think I will be able to stand the drivel that is just about to be spewed all over our beloved board!!
we could do worse (EOS) but we could also do better. The evidence in terms of results is mixed at best - yes HEC qualification is a big deal for which he deserves plaudits, but we're plumb mid-table in the league, win ratio of 57%, having shipped home beatings to Munster & Leinster.

The evidence in terms of performances equally mixed at best I would say: a couple of very solid performances, but more often than not scrappy, error-strewn, extremely inefficient in terms of converting opportunities, a pattern of perplexing selections, and skill levels just not high enough. I would be disappointed if this was anything more than a bridge to an experienced top coach, and absolutely appalled if it is a bridge to EOS or Kidney post-WC.

Of course the source is Farrelly, whose calls this season more often than not are miles off target, so I'll wait until it's confirmed.
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
brianc
Warrior Assassin

Post by brianc »

darkside lightside wrote:you talking about me brian? :)
Not just you
:lol: :lol: :lol:
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

somethings not 100% with the set-up.

friday night was a close game, the sort of game that hinges on half-chances and opposition mistakes.

there were 2 occasions where mrs. whiteknightoftheweld thought i was shouting at her.

she was upstairs doing something as i watched the game. she happened to walk in, and dropped something as her hands were full and she tried to open and close a door. unfortunately, at the same time, ulster decided to fling a ball wide in their own 22 with a lot of space. dropped ball by trimble, and from zero pressure its a llanelli scrum in our 22. this may have been what led eventually to their penalty try but not sure... anyway, so, mrs. wkotw walks in, drops something, and i yell "WHAT THE F*** ARE YOU DOING?"

2nd time - the drop-goal attempt. she shouts into me from the other room "why is the fridge open". In my haste, without taking my eyes from the TV, i shout back "I dont know you were last in it". She replies: "oops i must have left it open".
Marshall performs his heroics. i shout "YOU ARE F***ING USELESS!"

basically all of this is McL's fault. It is his fault that the players aren't smart enough to close out games and that they dont know when to play it safe. it's his fault that their skill levels are such that fumbles and knock-ons are a common feature of Ulster's game.

and it's his fault that mrs. whiteknightoftheweld wouldnt make me toast with peanut butter on it because she thought i was shouting at her.
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

I'd give Buzz the head coach and forwads coach roles with a new backs coach and Doak as skills coach
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

Big-al wrote:I'd give Buzz the head coach and forwads coach roles with a new backs coach and Doak as skills coach
Why? Do you think he can make the hard calls over selection and signings? Ulster Rugby has too many old pals in it's set up I think. A load of former players have been given jobs for which they had little or no experience. I think this shows in many facets of their play or lack of it. Maybe they will come good in the end but it hasn't looked like it so far. I go along with Syd Millar. We needed a clear out. We got a bit of the blockage removed but there is still something stuck in the system as it were.
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

I too got on the wrong side of a being because of bellowing at the shocking performance, but fortunately it was only the dog who is now a confirmed Piennar fan, he was only as split second behind me in jumping out of his seat when the penalty went over.

Still if McGlock wants to come down and make his apologies to the dog whilst in Bangor to apologise to your Mrs, who am I to stop him.

We are far from a well oiled machine as a team and in all fairness you might have expected them to be increasing the level of performance as the season progresses. One of the problems is the bits & pieces nature of the season. You are just getting something pretty settled after the international players return from their extra rest when they bog off again for the AIs. Then you get them for the 2nd phase of HC group matches Rounds 3 & 4, then at least one postponement over the New Year, back into the HC & before you can say Ulternative Alster off go the guys to the 6Ns.

Throw in a few required absences at the behest of the Irish coach including guys playing out of position and you have a very difficult time getting any continuity into your game. And all that before the coaches put guys into and out of the naughty cupboard.

So is McGlock worthy of a new contract? I haven't a bloody clue but on balance of his results as against those of the "Silver Tongued Aussie" and I reckon McGlock comes out of it smelling of tulips if not quite roses. Tulips of course don't have a perfumed odour as I'm sure I don't need to tell you guys but they are said to have a fresh clean smell about them.

McGlock of course isn't an experienced top level coach and there is obviously an argument that we could improve under such a man - except of course that was exactly what we thought we had with the aforementioned "S.T.A." who contsantly bleated about a "yong soide" as if you can't win anything wi' kids. Tell that to Spence, Gilroy & perhaps young Jackson.

Tough call but you would tend to think if McGlock wants to continue, he is holding a pretty strong hand. Not least because compared to a top class experienced coach he will be cheap as chips.

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

jackthelad wrote:
Big-al wrote:I'd give Buzz the head coach and forwads coach roles with a new backs coach and Doak as skills coach
Why? Do you think he can make the hard calls over selection and signings? Ulster Rugby has too many old pals in it's set up I think. A load of former players have been given jobs for which they had little or no experience. I think this shows in many facets of their play or lack of it. Maybe they will come good in the end but it hasn't looked like it so far. I go along with Syd Millar. We needed a clear out. We got a bit of the blockage removed but there is still something stuck in the system as it were.
I believe much the same thing is being said in Munster about their "boot room" appointments Jack.

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

Under McGlock we narrowly missed Europe last year, qualified this year and are currently in a position to achieve a Magners league play off game .He has all his targets in range so far so a years extension is just reward IMHO .Continuity is important and if it aint broke .....
We dont need the English to win the European Cup