The Golf

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

armalig
Novice

Re: The Golf

Post by armalig »

Rory another $1.6million in the bank .. maybe another SAFFA on the horizon ?? Anyways great late night viewing tbh & nice 2c him buzzing again 💪
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Miserable git is not a fan. He wouldn't even pay for his own ticket.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Good article by yer man Jonathan Bradley who usually does the ulster rugby stuff on G Mac & Co's Saudi cash grab. As he says, just say you're there for the cash as everyone knows that's true and you'll take that from anyone.

Of course there are human rights abuses in many other major countries but the Saudis are on a different level and embark on shameless sportswashing.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Gmac is already a very rich man. He had a choice -and he has chosen cash (which he surely doesn't need) over taking a stand against a truly reprehensible regime. He is morally bankrupt and should hang his head in shame and embarrassment
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I'm not sure why we expect sportsmen to take a stand on political matters, but accept that politicians, governments, industry, etc will not.

Fair play to those who stand by their expressed morals and take a stand, but I'm not criticising those whose morals don't stretch that far. They're good at playing a game ffs - they're not the Dalai feck lama or the archbishop of Warren Gatland!

I often hear that these sportsmen are role models and kids look up to them. If my kid looked up to a professional golfer for anything other than - how to play golf - I wouldn't have educated them very well.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Anyone taking Saudi money is a sports washing kunt.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

BR wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:13 am I'm not sure why we expect sportsmen to take a stand on political matters, but accept that politicians, governments, industry, etc will not.

Fair play to those who stand by their expressed morals and take a stand, but I'm not criticising those whose morals don't stretch that far. They're good at playing a game ffs - they're not the Dalai feck lama or the archbishop of Warren Gatland!

I often hear that these sportsmen are role models and kids look up to them. If my kid looked up to a professional golfer for anything other than - how to play golf - I wouldn't have educated them very well.

Fair points BR and you are right - we do business with the Saudis, are free (an ironic word to use in this context perhaps) to live, travel and work there and other sports events are held there. This is about already very wealthy people choosing to take money from a country which is in the top 5 of the UN Human Rights Council's list of worst 5 countries - the others are North Korea, Syria, Iran and Eritrea. Given their existing wealth they clearly would play anywhere. How G Mac thinks this is role model behaviour is beyond me.

They should just say the money is the most important thing to them and are happy to be used for sportswashing as part of this. For them to try and justify it any other way is farcical.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

This.
Bart S wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:24 pm They should just say the money is the most important thing to them and are happy to be used for sportswashing as part of this. For them to try and justify it any other way is farcical.

A bit naive I guess but I think I want all humans to behave with at least a smattering of moral decency.

Both joining the breakaway tour and not joining it are political acts. In joining it you are allowing others to use your fame for their political ends. By not joining you at least give the appearance of having some moral compass.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

At leaat I no longer despise him solely on the flimsy basis of his ludicrous accent

McIlroy can be an annoying wee glipe at times but he does seem to possess some moral fibre.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

big mervyn wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:37 pm At leaat I no longer despise him solely on the flimsy basis of his ludicrous accent

McIlroy can be an annoying wee glipe at times but he does seem to possess some moral fibre.
And an even healthier bank account and earning potential.

I have to admit, I have not listen to any of the players trying to justify their participation, nor those explaining their reluctance. Like I say, these people are good at playing a game. If I am interested in anything they have to say, it normally stops at why they thought they fcked up the back 9 or why they are able to get an additional 20 yards on their drive.

In the interests of disclosure - I will point out that I was once employed in the oil sector by a global company who, no doubt, made considerable profits from work for Aramco.

Edit - not sure if it's also worth mentioning that I also own a petrol and a diesel car, get my electric from powerni and get through a reasonable amount of western consumer products in my comfortable life.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

M'dole's estimated net worth is about $40 million according to t'internet.

Everybody is free to make their own choice but if you're making a living out of being a high profile sporting celebrity you also have to accept the pelters.

I hope nobody trots out the tired old "sport and politics should not mix". They're inextricably mixed and the players are as much to blame for that as anybody.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BR wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:20 pm
big mervyn wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:37 pm At leaat I no longer despise him solely on the flimsy basis of his ludicrous accent

And an even healthier bank account and earning potential
and even more healthy bank account now, by $18m (minus expenses, caddy, other "helpers" etc).

3rd time winner of the Fedex - something he has finally surpassed Tiger in. :salut:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

So who saw the new love in between LIV, PTA and DP coming?

Rory says it's a good thing... so it must be...
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Think of the NIQs Rory McIlroy will be able to bankroll now...