Ulster eye All Black to replace Botha

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Ulster eye All Black to replace Botha

Post by Rooster »

By Hugh Farrelly

Wednesday March 16 2011

Ulster are close to securing the services of an All Black tight-head following the loss of South African BJ Botha to Munster.

It is understood that Ulster director of rugby David Humphreys travelled to New Zealand last week to seal the deal and, although the identity of his target is a closely guarded secret, it is believed to be a member of the current All Blacks squad.

Sources indicate that Humphreys met up with former Ulster hooker Matt Sexton, now head of development at the Crusaders.

It is believed that Ulster's intended signing is capable of playing both sides of the scrum, which would fit the profile of Ben Franks, currently on the books at the Crusaders.

Although Franks would appear to most closely fit the bill, other possibilities are his brother Owen, Neemia Tialata and John Afoa.

Meanwhile, Ireland U-20 star Paddy Jackson could make his second senior start for Ulster when they face the Dragons in the Magners League on Friday night.

With Ian Humphreys still troubled with a hamstring problem, coach Brian McLaughlin may not be prepared to risk his first-choice fly-half, with the Heineken Cup clash against Northampton looming next month. Jackson acquitted himself very well on his debut against the Scarlets a few weeks ago.

Second-row Dan Tuohy (quad tear) and Academy prop Adam Macklin (broken ankle) return from injury. Robbie Diack is also back and will start at No 8 in place of Pedrie Wannenburg, who was married last week in Durban. Mark McCrea, Darren Cave and new face Conor Gaston are all included in the squad.

The Dragons clash was originally scheduled at the beginning of December but was called off due to the weather.

- Hugh Farrelly

Irish Independent
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/u ... 81144.html
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster eye All Black to replace Botha

Post by againstthehead »

awsome news. the humph is on the prowl again. At 26, Franks should be maturing nicely in the front row. Sign him up and bring a couple more of his Kiwi friends. In addition, those Canterberry boys are used to their wet weather rugby - we should have no gurning about the weather from this NIQ prop ;).
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
prawnsarnies
Novice

Post by prawnsarnies »

Smokescreen for a back? :scratch:
"You have to find to find your own solace - your own drive, your own ambition, your own inner strength; for the greatest game of your f**king life." Jim Telfer, 1st Test, Lions Tour 1997
rich123
Novice

Post by rich123 »

Was at the Bot last night at the guinness rugby country event with 1F, RP, GM and DH. Dh confirmed we have 29 out of 33 contracts filled and we are looking to sign and I'll quote " and front row forward and an outside back." he also said words to effect of watch this space and "days" before a signing announced.
lovesthehardground
Steward

Post by lovesthehardground »

If we sign a Kiwi prop will he not be away at the RWC as well or would that be the end of his international career? Might mean the player won't arrive until after the world cup? Can't see either of the Franks brothers coming if it means no more AB caps. More likely to be Tialata or Afoe.
LTHG
Flads
Novice

Post by Flads »

Excited by the news of the potential signings and that Paddy Jackson should be starting. Good Times!!
Stand Up For The Ulstermen!!!!
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

This I don't get - we had a good prop who knew the team and was settled - so we let him go and now we go hunting for another one? We have more props on our books than even the Ospreys could send on holiday!

AFAIK - D'Arcy has been offered a contract but has yet to sign it, so we have in reality no full back for next season. We have a NIQ spot open and a quality back like Jane would fit the bill - fantastically.

I don't get it - unless there two options we don't know about but both seem impossible. 1) Tommy is coming back to play Full Back. 2) Danielli is retiring and Jane is coming as well as Franks (or whoever).

All the same good to see Humph out and about and using proper contacts - we could be signing Pfister, Moore or Dewey again!!!
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
prawnsarnies
Novice

Post by prawnsarnies »

If we know that Andress has definitely signed and has not officially been announced, can we take it as read that he is the front row forward? Which leaves just the back to worry about. Another front rower would surely be overkill, maybe not in terms of quality but definitely in terms of numbers, unless there are current squad props (Bear?) which are poised to leave?
"You have to find to find your own solace - your own drive, your own ambition, your own inner strength; for the greatest game of your f**king life." Jim Telfer, 1st Test, Lions Tour 1997
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

I'd take franks, jane and tommy thanks cornerfleg :).

I'd expect Deccy fitz or paddy mac to start getting called up to ireland post-RWC, so another prop fits the bill. However, an outside back is also required - maybe carr?
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

prawnsarnies wrote:Smokescreen for a back? :scratch:
Could be as Humphs was also spotted in SA a couple of weeks ago
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Main Props - TC & Paddy Mac

Deccie Fitz, Young, Macklin, Cronin, Andress (which I heard was a done deal - discussion over). The also rans here wont even get a bench spot on a Ravens game????

I'd take a 'Carr' type standard prop and a Jane type standard back before we go the other way.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Cornerfleg wrote:Main Props - TC & Paddy Mac

Deccie Fitz, Young, Macklin, Cronin, Andress (which I heard was a done deal - discussion over). The also rans here wont even get a bench spot on a Ravens game????

I'd take a 'Carr' type standard prop and a Jane type standard back before we go the other way.
Can't have both though as only 1 NIQ spot.
Rory Best
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

A project saffer prop and a Jane ... or ... OR

Van de Heever - project back and Franks. Not bad. We have such talent in the youth I'd so love to see another class act with RP to let them develop. Did you see Gilroy's try for the U20s? Luke/Spence/Jackson/Gilroy/Trimble ... throw in a reborn iHumph along with RP and Jane ... Ohhhh now that's tasty enough to win Masterchef!
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

Isn't Robbie now a fully fledged, green-as-you-like, Paddy? Or at least my understanding was that he'd be IQ by the time next season starts. Leaving us two NIQ spots? Or do "projects" come under a different category?

OM
prawnsarnies
Novice

Post by prawnsarnies »

Cornerfleg wrote:Did you see Gilroy's try for the U20s?
His support lines remind me of a wing the men in green will be facing on Saturday, the Welsh tackles were pretty poor to be fair but he showed great leg drive