Are the Saints too Cocky about Us?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Are the Saints too Cocky about Us?

Post by Cornerfleg »

OK the Bookies have them favourites .. fine with me, we play better when not expected to win.

But check this out:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... ondon.html

Foden is one of their best players, if this is a reflection on team concentration and focus it will do us no harm at all.

If St Ken is about - you know any more of this, is it Paps going for sensationalism or has he got previous for this sort of behaviour?
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Re: Are the Saints too Cocky about Us?

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

seriously?

one player who is coming off the back off a 6 nations campaign, and a thumping win against wasps, gets in a bit of trouble for being drunk and disorderly, and all of a sudden this equates to the entire saints set-up viewing ulster as some small stepping stone to a twickers semi-final??

theyve had a massive slump that happened to coincide with the loss to international duty/injury of their 3 best english players. these guys return and they utterly thump a shockingly poor wasps

i think some on here are starting to think we've won this thing ourselves...

certainly it seems that lady luck is shining on ulster at the present time. yes, i would still argue that northampton away was the best possible quarter final draw we could have got. yes, they're playing the game away from franklins.

but to start questioning the saints commitment and focus, and to start looking beyond the 10th april is just plain crazy - the sort of plain dog crazy that drives whatever santa-cap-wearing-saudi-flag-waving-barrier-hopping-steward-evading-half-a-lap-of-the-pitch-and-im-puffed goat who had a couple too many shandys against the dragons
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:seriously?

one player who is coming off the back off a 6 nations campaign, and a thumping win against wasps, gets in a bit of trouble for being drunk and disorderly, and all of a sudden this equates to the entire saints set-up viewing ulster as some small stepping stone to a twickers semi-final??

theyve had a massive slump that happened to coincide with the loss to international duty/injury of their 3 best english players. these guys return and they utterly thump a shockingly poor wasps

i think some on here are starting to think we've won this thing ourselves...

certainly it seems that lady luck is shining on ulster at the present time. yes, i would still argue that northampton away was the best possible quarter final draw we could have got. yes, they're playing the game away from franklins.

but to start questioning the saints commitment and focus, and to start looking beyond the 10th april is just plain crazy - the sort of plain dog crazy that drives whatever santa-cap-wearing-saudi-flag-waving-barrier-hopping-steward-evading-half-a-lap-of-the-pitch-and-im-puffed goat who had a couple too many shandys against the dragons
What he said! (especially the last bit) :twisted:

This has nothing to do with how Northampton are preparing for or focusing on Ulster :roll:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Yes seriously, Didn't a certain player we all might know from Saints get the heave cos he was plastered and wrote off the club car going to sort out a fellow player after a bust up on a mobile phone? Malinder is meant to have zero tolerance for that behavior.

If one of our best players was out till 3:30am getting plastered and then arrested would you worry or just have a wee giggle? Ach sure it's only a laugh he'll be fine for the Hieny. We're worried about players being fit not fecking sober!

It's a professional sport now.

And I've said nothing about this being a walk in the park or an easy win. But I'd be felling worse if the reports were about players hitting the gym and going on a serious health push for the up coming quarter final.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
StKenneth
Novice

Post by StKenneth »

I have to say it all seems way out of character for the lad. I've never heard of him in any sort of trouble before and the only interest the newspapers have had with him is because of Una, his popstar girlfriend.

I can only assume that the players had the monday off, as being about town at 03.30 doesn't sound the best way to prepare yourself for a days training. I really wouldn't like to be in his shoes having to face the wrath of Jim and Dorian West our forwards coach. I'm sure the story is being sensationalised to the max, but am a little concerned that the police thought his behaviour warranted his arrest.

Hopefully a little adversity will bring the squad even tighter and this incident will make him focus his own mind. Saying that, who hasn't been a plonker at some stage when they were in their 20s? I just hope he isn't about to embark on the slippery slope labelled 'Cipriani' where his face is in the papers for non rugby related matters all the time.

Not sure how the club will play this one. Whether they consider it a private matter or whether they feel they need to make a statement themselves. Watch this space!
Oh When The Saints.. Go Marching In
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Cheers Ken.

Obviously I hope Ben is completely rat arsed when he plays us ... but when not playing us I always enjoy watching him, his ability to hold the ball in both hands is an object lesson in how to run as a full back.

Now all we need is to ship a wee crate of Bushmills c/o Ben & Chris disguised as a protein shake for the 9th April, you don't happen to have an address do you?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

It does say RFU will await any outcome of legal proceedings before it considers what to do so as far as he game against us is concerned I would say things will probably still be in the process of investigation so Foden will still play unless Saints reckon he should be locked in a cupboard, which I very much doubt they will under the circumstances, probably fine him or just put him up against a wall and kick his Brennan for half an hour
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

See that's more what I'm interested in Rooster. Big Jim was quite vocal and well ... proactive when another player did something similar and the door was shown him (mind he did have pervious). If this is swept under the carpet it sort of suggests that it's zero tolerance for those we can do without.

How do you know you'll be getting a contract next year - get smashed and see what happens.

Either way it's a headache that they don't need. When there were the 'radiator' 'taxi' and 'spit roast' shenanigans going on here our performance on the pitch was bloody woeful the changing room was a no fly zone and players wanted away. Not saying it's like that at Saints at all, but I feel actions like this usually have aftershocks within teams. Ask Henson!
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

See that's more what I'm interested in Rooster. Big Jim was quite vocal and well ... proactive when another player did something similar and the door was shown him (mind he did have pervious). If this is swept under the carpet it sort of suggests that it's zero tolerance for those we can do without.

How do you know you'll be getting a contract next year - get smashed and see what happens.

Either way it's a headache that they don't need. When there were the 'radiator' 'taxi' and 'spit roast' shenanigans going on here our performance on the pitch was bloody woeful the changing room was a no fly zone and players wanted away. Not saying it's like that at Saints at all, but I feel actions like this usually have aftershocks within teams. Ask Henson!
Suppose it depends if he makes a habit of getting plastered after matches or this is a one off incident, also the press are not going to make it any better than what really happened as that may not sell papers.
Yes he probably was pished but the rest could be blown out of proportion as has happened in the past
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Very true ... it's not as if he was driving a golf buggy, or doing the Doug Howlett Strictly on a Car Bonnet dance routine. Mind you have to admit threatening a taxi driver is small potatos compared to the Jerry Collins 60 minute makeover of a clubhouse!
StKenneth
Novice

Post by StKenneth »

Obviously there is a bit of chat in regards to this on our own supporters website... http://www.comeonyousaints.com and one of our more learned friends summed it up quite well I thought, so I'll share his musings....

Broonie: "let he who is without sin etc....

first thing to remember- he's actually the same lad he was a week ago.

secondly, he's probably not feeling very good about himself right now.

yes, he needs to apologise to the whole squad, but neither we nor the world need to know about it

if i was jim, i'd consider telling him to go and have a think for a couple of hours then come back in and suggest his own punishment if appropriate.

after which , well, he's still the same person he was a week ago , but maybe with a little more experience."

It's easy to jump to all sorts of conclusions and stories, but in the cold light of day, he has been a plonker of the highest degree and nothing more.
Oh When The Saints.. Go Marching In
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:the sort of plain dog crazy that drives whatever santa-cap-wearing-saudi-flag-waving-barrier-hopping-steward-evading-half-a-lap-of-the-pitch-and-im-puffed goat who had a couple too many shandys against the dragons
What he said! (especially the last bit) :twisted:

This has nothing to do with how Northampton are preparing for or focusing on Ulster :roll:[/quote]

No Grumps it doesn't but it is a magnificent description of the drink addled old fart who was running around like a mad-Arab not even realising his Saudi Fleg had went - as most 2BC members seem to say, had gone, ya chubes - anyway look on the bright side, as we agreed you're damned lucky I had mis-identified you in the Beervm Tabernacvlvm. :wink:

A clear and present danger to cheerleaders everywhere

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

foden has pulled one of the saturdays.
that is plenty to write off a few black marks in my book.

in fact, for me, the lad could pretty much punch iHumph in the face, kick pienaar in the nuts, pretend with a Ronaldo-esqu dive that Ferris had poked him in the eyes, before breaking away from behind his own posts, run the length of the field and instead of touching down himself pass to Ashton to score with one of those swan dives.

he has pulled a Saturday.
:thumright:

(at the very least the travelling ulster faithful could make up a terrace toon about this...think beckham...posh spice...ar$e...)
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

StKenneth wrote:Obviously there is a bit of chat in regards to this on our own supporters website... http://www.comeonyousaints.com and one of our more learned friends summed it up quite well I thought, so I'll share his musings....

Broonie: "let he who is without sin etc....

first thing to remember- he's actually the same lad he was a week ago.

secondly, he's probably not feeling very good about himself right now.

yes, he needs to apologise to the whole squad, but neither we nor the world need to know about it

if i was jim, i'd consider telling him to go and have a drink for a couple of hours then come back in and suggest his own punishment if appropriate.

after which , well, he's still the same person he was a week ago , but maybe with a little more experience."

It's easy to jump to all sorts of conclusions and stories, but in the cold light of day, he has been a plonker of the highest degree and nothing more.
Hey I love your supporters, guy thrown in the slammer for the night & they think - good lad get it down your neck :cheers: Look forward to meeting such a forward looking band of men. :wink:

See what I did there St Ken ? arf arf - love a laugh I does. :wink:

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

backawaygoonahead wrote:Look forward to meeting such a "ruggedly-handsome, want-to-shaft-them-all" looking band of men. :wink:
See what I did there? arf arf - love a laugh I does. :wink: