Ulster Annual Awards Dinner

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Ulster Annual Awards Dinner

Post by Kofi Annan »

Dinner tomorrow night at the New Venue of Culloden Hotel (Next years Hotel Partner) strange as i thought they would have used this years Hotel Partner. I take it then the cabs used are Fone a Cab as they are going to bin Value Cab
One of the most anticipated dates in the Ulster Rugby calendar, the Heineken Ulster Rugby Awards Dinner, will be held at the Culloden Hotel next Tuesday 10th May.

The Awards aim to celebrate the achievements and development of rugby at all levels and brings together the cream of the crop in Ulster.

From schools, youth, club and professional levels the Awards recognises the role that they all play for the development of the game with the coveted top award, the Heineken Ulster Rugby Personality of the Year awarded to the player, coach, official or administrator who, through their performance during the season, has done the most to raise the profile of Ulster Rugby. Last year Chris Henry collected the top prize and this year’s winner will remain a closely guarded secret until it is revealed towards the end of the evening.

There are still a number of tables of ten available at the event at a cost of £1200 plus vat – to book contact please contact alison@ulsterrugby.com or fiona@ulsterrugby.com or phone 028 9049 3222

The nominees for all awards as are follows:
CALOR GAS YOUTH PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Conall Doherty (City of Derry), Jay Malcolm (Malone), Lee Steenson (Dromore)

NORTHERN BANK SCHOOLS PLAYER OF THE YEAR
John Creighton (Campbell College), Chris Farrell (Campbell College), Peter Nelson (Royal School Dungannon)

PHOENIX GAS ACADEMY PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Criag Gilroy, Luke Marshall, Patrick Jackson

KUKRI CLUB OF THE YEAR
Ballynahinch RFC, Banbridge RFC, City of Armagh RFC

BELFAST TELEGRAPH MOST IMPROVED ULSTER PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Adam D’Arcy, Paul Marshall, Paddy McAllister

PERENNIALS DORRINGTON B. FAULKNER, “UNSUNG HERO” AWARD
Ronnie Clements (Limavady RFC), Willie Latimer (Ulster Branch Youth Committee), Billy Savage (Dromore RFC)

URSC PLAYER OF THE SEASON (as voted by URSC members)
Johann Muller, Ruan Pienaar, Nevin Spence

KEN GOODALL AWARD FOR THE OUTSTANDING CLUB PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Peter Henderson (City of Derry), Paul Pritchard (Ballymena), James Simpson (Ballynahinch)

BANK OF IRELAND ULSTER PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Rory Best, Chris Henry, Ian Humphreys, Ruan Pienaar

VODAFONE YOUNG ULSTER PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Craig Gilroy, Paddy McAllister, Nevin Spence

HEINEKEN ULSTER RUGBY PERSONALITY OF THE YEAR – to be announced on 10th May
Strange to not see Dungannon in with a shout of Club of the Year: Snr Cup Final winners,Snr League Winners, All Ireland Cup Finalists, one point away from Play off for promotion to 1a, all teams being succesful on and of the park. If Armagh don`t get it then its an award for something other than Club of the Year!, Whats Banbridge done to even get nominated?, and as for Ballynahinch ? without Bambry they would never have got promoted but thats another story :wink:

Pritchard and Simpson for Club player of the year> someone must have been watching them in their sleep. Anyone watch Adam Duhig from Dungannon or Michael Rainey even Glen Telford. But then again my moneys on Simpson to boost his "profile" as he gets a development contract for next year.

Nevin Spence is a shoe in for UPOTY

Darcy has to be best improved as he has went from woeful to average.

Personality of the year has to be the Colonel as we are on the first step of the spiral staircase to world domination and its all thanks to him :sleeping:

For the first time in ten years i shall not be there as i have to wash my hair :?
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulster Annual Awards Dinner

Post by Rooster »

Sign of the times perhaps that tickets are being offered to season ticket holders at £85 including VAT, more realistic to start with than £120 + VAT
Like yourself YM why not a few ladies awards chucked in and even a mention for the mini rugby coaches and players ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

It is club of the year not 1st XV of the year, Armagh should get it their 2nd XV had a superb year as well as there 1stXV and their Under 19's won the Nutty Crust as well.

Simpson and Pritchard have both been superb this year anytime I have seen them and are very worthwhile nominations, how Simpson isn't in the academy Is beyond me.
gannonman
Steward

Post by gannonman »

Rainey, Duhig, Telford or Cochrane who has been brilliant for us but to be fair to Hinch and Armagh they have done very well this year even though I feel we have had a very good season. That guy Scholes not in for school player of the year?
When life gives you lemons - take them because hey... it's free lemons.
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

I can only presume their 1s getting to the play off and Under 17s making All Ireland semi finals and winning the Ulster trophies, it is a strange selection.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

YoungMan wrote:
cjp wrote:It is club of the year not 1st XV of the year, Armagh should get it their 2nd XV had a superb year as well as there 1stXV and their Under 19's won the Nutty Crust as well.

Simpson and Pritchard have both been superb this year anytime I have seen them and are very worthwhile nominations, how Simpson isn't in the academy Is beyond me.
And if its club of the year can you explain er Banbridge ?
Perhaps Rory nominated them and no one had the nerve to ask why ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

LastKnightoftheproms wrote:
If its not Armagh then something is seriously rotten in the state of Denmark.
Rory Best
penfold
Novice

Post by penfold »

Not here to justify the nomination but can tell you that notable success for Banbridge this season included the following:

U17s won Ulster League and CE Bowman Cup double.
U15s won Premier League division, and drew Ulster League final against Carrick who were awarded the league title on the first try rule. (Carrick had finished behind Banbridge in the Premier League). U15s also made the final of the U15 (RB Fleming) Cup losing out to City of Derry.
U13s won the U13 Plate competition.

3rds won Junior 2 and are into the final of the Harden Cup after defeating (the mighty :wink: ) Armagh 2nds in the preliminary round.

All other adult teams finished no lower than 5th in their respective leagues.

I suspect that Banbridge's notable successes at Youth level had a significant bearing on the nomination and if so at least it confirms that the Branch look at more than the 1st XVs.

Would agree that Dungannon is a notable omission from that list and perhaps City of Derry as well who made an emphatic return to Senior rugby winning Division 3 and finishing third in the Ulster Senior League.
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

YoungMan wrote:
cjp wrote:It is club of the year not 1st XV of the year, Armagh should get it their 2nd XV had a superb year as well as there 1stXV and their Under 19's won the Nutty Crust as well.

Rory? :stir:
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

Rooster wrote:
YoungMan wrote:

Perhaps Rory nominated them and no one had the nerve to ask why ?
Maybe no one could make him out.... :mrgreen:
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
earl the beaver
Novice

Post by earl the beaver »

Any chance of this Pritchard lad making it for Ulster?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/9376.php
Second row Johann Muller scooped the top accolade of Heineken Ulster Rugby Personality of the Year, singled out for his work both on and off the field this season.

Recruited for his playing and leadership ability, Muller, who arrived in Belfast from the Natal Sharks last summer, can take much of the credit for Ulster’s success this season. Driving and demanding the highest of standards, he is a tremendous ambassador for Ulster Rugby, carrying out a large number of engagements for sponsors and within the local community, many in his own time. Intelligent, good humoured, he’s quickly become a firm favourite with staff, supporters and the media and he has the utmost respect from his team-mates and coaching staff.

The other award winners in full were as follows:

Calor Gas Ulster Youth Player of the Year – Conall Doherty, City of Derry RFC

Conall has been involved with the Ulster Youth team for two years, culminating this year in being capped for the Irish Youth team. He is an accomplished footballer, and has the ability to play anywhere from 10 to 15 in the backs. He played most of the time at full back and treated high balls with confidence, clearing his line with a solid left boot. He also gave the option of attack from deep.

Northern Bank Ulster Schools player of the Year – John Creighton, Campbell College

This season John captained not only his school, Campbell College, winners of the Northern Bank Schools’ Cup, but also the Ulster and Irish Schools sides and as a leader he has displayed a tremendous capacity to bring players together as a team. He has an excellent all around skill set but a particular strength is his passing game and be it at scrum-half or out-half he acts as a very effective link man between team units.

Phoenix Gas Ulster Academy Player of the Year – Craig Gilroy Dungannon RFC

Craig joined the Phoenix Ulster Academy at the start of the season and his outstanding form for Dungannon in the All-Ireland League earned him his first start with the senior side against the Cardiff Blues in November. It was a memorable debut for the youngster who scored two tries in Ulster’s 37-15 triumph. In an extremely competitive category, Craig’s ability to beat someone one-on-one, his strike rate and skill in making something out of nothing, single him out as winner of this award.

URSC Player of the Season – Johann Muller

Presented by the Ulster Rugby Supporters’ Club, this award is made to an Ulster player who has
had an outstanding season with the club. Johann receives a magnificent trophy designed by local artist and URSC member Bob Sloan and a Frederique Constant watch supplied by McNeilly’s Jewellers.

Kukri Club of the Year – City of Armagh RFC

On hearing of the winner of this category it would be natural to assume that it has been achieved solely on the back of a very successful season by the 1st XV which not only won Kukri Qualifying League 1, thereby securing promotion to the All Ireland League, and who were runner’s up in the Millar McCall Wylie Junior Cup Final. However this award is to recognise the achievements of the entire Club as also represented by the success of the 2nd XV in winning Junior League 1 and the Crawford Cup. The 3rd XV who finished 2nd in Minor League South and were finalists in the Butler Shield and the Under 15’s as winners of the Under 15 Central League

Belfast Telegraph Most Improved Ulster Player of the Year – Adam D’Arcy

An unknown quantity at the start of the season when he arrived in Belfast from Australia on a two week trial, Adam quickly nailed down a starting sport in the match day fifteen and has improved throughout the season. Excellent both defensively, where he’s a safe pair of hands at the back and in attack where his broken field running ability has created numerous chances for Ulster, the fact that he has recently accepted an two year contract is testament to the impact he’s made this season

Dorrington B Faulkner Award sponsored by Perennials – Ronnie Clements Limavady RFC

Ronnie first played rugby for Limavady RFC in the mid-fifties while still attending Limavady Grammar School where he captained both the Rugby 1st XV and Cricket 1st XI. On entering Stranmillis College in 1958 he continued to play for Limavady at the weekends as well as representing Kings Scholars in mid-week. On returning home in 1961 he continued to play both rugby and cricket for the town teams and captained the Rugby Club in 1965/66. He also fulfilled the arduous duties of Club Honorary Secretary from 1962 until the mid-70’s. On hanging up his rugby boots in 1979 he became the Club’s representative on the Ulster Branch Club’s Committee and for an astonishing 31 years continued in that role until his retirement in April this year.

Bank of Ireland Ulster Player of the Year – Ruan Pienaar

From Bloemfontein to Belfast, Ruan surprised world rugby by joining Ulster last summer and has been instrumental in the team’s success this season. A match winner that exudes professionalism he is quick to share the credit for his final minute, match-winning kicks with his team-mates. From his attitude in the gym, through the mentoring role he plays with younger players to the quality of performance he delivers consistently each week, Ruan is a worthy winner of this coveted award.

Ken Goodall Award For Outstanding Club Player of the Year – Paul Pritchard (Ballymena RFC)

Back row forward Paul was a major factor in Ballymena’s successful promotion to Division 1B of the Ulster Bank All-Ireland League this season. He was the club’s top try scorer and his high work rate combined with dynamic tackling and ball carries also resulted in regular call ups to the Ulster Ravens side.

Vodafone Young Ulster Player of the Year – Nevin Spence

Nevin got his chance as a result of international call-ups and injuries to Ulster’s more established centre partnerships but has quickly became one of the first names on the teamsheet each week. With a very physical and direct style, the consistent level of his performances have marked him out this season. Despite having just turned 21 years of age, Nevin has shown he can mix it at the highest level of European rugby and a personal highlight will be a memorable try against Bath at The Rec in December.
Rory Best
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

earl the beaver wrote:Any chance of this Pritchard lad making it for Ulster?
Was in the academy at one stage, think he will just turn out to be a good club player.
The FRU
Squire

Post by The FRU »

Still plenty to vote for in the biggest Ulster award! http://thefrontrowunion.com/2011/05/the ... ar-update/
Save the Cheerleader, Save Hollywood Mike!

http://thefrontrowunion.com
Jockster
Squire

Post by Jockster »

penfold wrote:Not here to justify the nomination but can tell you that notable success for Banbridge this season included the following:

U17s won Ulster League and CE Bowman Cup double.
U15s won Premier League division, and drew Ulster League final against Carrick who were awarded the league title on the first try rule. (Carrick had finished behind Banbridge in the Premier League). U15s also made the final of the U15 (RB Fleming) Cup losing out to City of Derry.
U13s won the U13 Plate competition.

3rds won Junior 2 and are into the final of the Harden Cup after defeating (the mighty :wink: ) Armagh 2nds in the preliminary round.

All other adult teams finished no lower than 5th in their respective leagues.

I suspect that Banbridge's notable successes at Youth level had a significant bearing on the nomination and if so at least it confirms that the Branch look at more than the 1st XVs.

Would agree that Dungannon is a notable omission from that list and perhaps City of Derry as well who made an emphatic return to Senior rugby winning Division 3 and finishing third in the Ulster Senior League.
Would add 1st XV got into the AIL promotion play offs. The club consistently produces more than it's fair share of youth players for Ulster and Ireland. Has a good mini-rugby setup with a large number of players. Is a very friendly and social club for the whole community, and.........Rory :salut: