Team V Bayonne

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

mea97mb
Squire

Team V Bayonne

Post by mea97mb »

Players in line for debuts against Bayonne
Brian McLaughlin has called on a mix of youth and experience for his side's first pre-season friendly against Bayonne on Wednesday evening at the Stade Jean Dauger.
Development outhalf James McKinney and Phoenix Academy winger Ricky Andrew will both make their debut for Ulster during the 5 day camp in France. McKinney was a member of the Ireland U20 squad which competed in the IRB Junior World Championships in June. The twenty year old was awarded a development contract with Ulster ahead of this season.
Andrew spent the past season at the Castres Academy, as he completed a compulsory year in France for his French and Spanish Joint Honours degree at Queen's. The 21 year old is a current member of the Phoenix Ulster Academy and plays his club rugby for Ballymena.

Darren Cave, who showed impressive form on his return from injury at the end of last season, is partnered in the centre by Ian Whitten. At 26, scrum half Paul Marshall is the most senior member of the Ulster backline, which also includes Conor Gaston and Adam D'Arcy in the back three alongside Andrew.

The pack has a more experienced look about it with Tom Court, Andi Kyriacou and Declan Fitzpatrick making up the front row. Tim Barker and Neil McComb have been given a chance to impress as a second row partnership. Chris Henry will captain the side from openside flanker and will combine once again with back row colleagues Pedrie Wannenburg and Robbie Diack.

New recruits Callum Black, Lewis Stevenson and Mike McComish are among 11 replacements hoping to see some action. Academy players Adam Macklin and John Burns are also in line to taste their first action in a senior Ulster shirt. Dan Tuohy, Ian Humphreys, Nevin Spence, Luke Marshall and Nigel Brady are being rested to give them extra time to prepare for the new season.

Meanwhile, Ulster remain without a number of other senior players who are with international sides in the build up to the World Cup next month.

Ulster (15-9): A D'Arcy; C Gaston, D Cave, I Whitten, R Andrew; J McKinney, P Marshall;
(1-8): T Court, A Kyriacou, D Fitzpatrick, T Barker, N McComb, P Wannenburg, C Henry, R Diack.
Replacements: C Black, P McAllister, A Macklin, J Cronin, J Burns, L Stevenson, M McComish, W Faloon, I Porter, P Jackson, C Gilroy.
Has TC been released by Ireland, seems odd that he's named here? Haven't heard any announcement from the Irish squad regarding this.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Re: Team V Bayonne

Post by ColinM »

Can't read anything into a selection such as this, except of course for the selection of Tom Court 4 days after playing for Ireland. Very strange decision indeed, and I wouldnt expect him to play too big a part before making way for Black.

Wish the best of luck to Andrew and McKinney, two of the lesser talked about starlets. Will be interesting to see who pushes on between Jackson and McKinney - certainly having the two of them in the squad will bring out the best in them both as they'll be fighting for the backup fly half role.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Maybe DK has asked if Court can get some more game time...?

A reasonably strong set of forwards... looks like BMcL is trying to ensure the younger backs get some ball to see what they can do with it.
thewaterboy
Novice

Post by thewaterboy »

Interesting that there is no Cochrane or Annett. Are they injured? UR list those that are being rested and they are on it...
:red: SUFTUM :red:
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

mikerob wrote:Maybe DK has asked if Court can get some more game time...?

A reasonably strong set of forwards... looks like BMcL is trying to ensure the younger backs get some ball to see what they can do with it.
Spot on I would think. Presumably DK is going to get Ross & Healy up to speed against France & England so it is a good move to get TC gametime with Ulster, Talk to of Ferris being given Ulster time depending on injury progress & I imagine other non-starting players he wants at RWC will play for their provinces in warm ups.

In my view this is excellent rather than strange thinking from Kidney. As for the Ulster selection, with 11 subs everyone should get a decent amount of game-time. McKinney & Small p to gel ? Would be a relief but ............. anyone's guess.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

this is a disgrace

we pay good money for payne and afoa and they're not even being played?
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
Jockster
Squire

Post by Jockster »

Has anyone seen John Burns play? He's listed as a backrow on his academy profile and as a hooker on UR team news.
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

Hooker at Ballymena, haven't seen him play so no idea what he is like.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

DK is on record as stateing he would be releasing squad members for provincials to become match ready with only 5 games before the RWC it is not easy to bring 30 players to match fitness.

That said I doubt as to whether he will want players released exposed to a full 80 mins similiarly I doubt if provincial coaches want to go into the PRO 12 without players being match fit because players who played preseason are on the plane to NZ.

So I would expect Court to play a half.

No IH or Spence I assume they are still at nil contact after surgery.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
gannonman
Steward

Post by gannonman »

Ricky Andrew seems as more of a full back than winger. He was very impressive in his short stint for Dungannon. Hope he gets on well but disappointed Cochrane is not in.
When life gives you lemons - take them because hey... it's free lemons.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Cochrane pulled his hamstring in training about two weeks ago and had that plasma injection in order to quicken recovery process- apparently back running this week!
The King is dead. Long live the King.
gannonman
Steward

Post by gannonman »

kingofthehill wrote:Cochrane pulled his hamstring in training about two weeks ago and had that plasma injection in order to quicken recovery process- apparently back running this week!
Been on twitter mate?
When life gives you lemons - take them because hey... it's free lemons.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Been on twitter mate?
Yes i have!!!
The King is dead. Long live the King.
bangorboy
Steward

Post by bangorboy »

Is there any way of keeping updated on the match tonight?
Nevin Spence - Forever an Ulsterman
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

bangorboy wrote:Is there any way of keeping updated on the match tonight?
Possibly on Ulster website or Facebook
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best