Team v Neath

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Team v Neath

Post by cjp »

Ulster (15-9):Peter Nelson; Michael Allen, Christopher Farrell, Luke Marshall, Craig Gilroy; Patrick Jackson, Ian Porter

(1-8): Paddy McAllister, John Burns, Jerry Cronin, Lewis Stevenson (capt), Neil McComb, Michael McComish, Willie Faloon, Robbie Diack

Replacements (16-23): Andrew Warwick, Callum Black, Adam Macklin, James Simpson, Ali Birch, Blane McIlroy, Stuart Olding, Conor Gaston.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Team v Neath

Post by Rooster »

cjp wrote:Ulster (15-9):Peter Nelson; Michael Allen, Christopher Farrell, Luke Marshall, Craig Gilroy; Patrick Jackson, Ian Porter

(1-8): Paddy McAllister, John Burns, Jerry Cronin, Lewis Stevenson (capt), Neil McComb, Michael McComish, Willie Faloon, Robbie Diack

Replacements (16-23): Andrew Warwick, Callum Black, Adam Macklin, James Simpson, Ali Birch, Blane McIlroy, Stuart Olding, Conor Gaston.
:scratch:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Gael
Steward

Post by Gael »

And another timbering will ensue.
There was never a guard nor a customs man, got his nose inside that transit van.
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

Gael wrote:And another timbering will ensue.
How? They are the equivalent of the Ravens, so giving some of the younger lads a run and getting a chance to see if they are anywhere near ready will do no harm. The first choice pack has some experienced heads in it and that backline with good ball would be very dangerous.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

cjp wrote:
How? They are the equivalent of the Ravens, so giving some of the younger lads a run and getting a chance to see if they are anywhere near ready will do no harm. The first choice pack has some experienced heads in it and that backline with good ball would be very dangerous.
Agree cjp but it is a strange way of building up to the season, we will effectively start against Glasgow with just the Quins match as a real warm up.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
gannonman
Steward

Post by gannonman »

Who are Andrew Warwick and Stuart Olding?
When life gives you lemons - take them because hey... it's free lemons.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Personally I like this idea of giving young lads their chance to make a claim for the season instead of waiting for injuries. How else are we going to unearth the next couple of diamonds to bring us to the next level. Great teams have big squads, last year we had a team and almost a bench - that's not good enough to make progress.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Warwick is a teenage looshead prop and Olding is a teenage flyhalf
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

I think this is the perfect team to play Neath.

Playing the full Ulster 1st XV minus the Irish and SA guys is a lose lose situation.

Either the full team destroy Neath, everyones happy, but nothing is really learnt at the game and we get set for a potential big fall against Quines . . . or . . . our 1st XV lose to Neath, and we start the season in a terrible frame of mind having been beaten by a Ravens level team

This team gives the very young guys a taste of what to expect at Ravens level. Lets not forget that in last years pre seasons we saw the beginnings of Gilroy, Spence, Marshall, Seymore, McIlwaine and D'arcy.
Mary had a little lamb . . .
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Any background on James Simpson?
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

I assume he's a lock as the rest of the players on the bench are frontrowers or backs (Birch being the exception)
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

mikerob wrote:Any background on James Simpson?
From a distance - great song from Tina btw. Also from a distance, James Simpson is reported by UR to be an Academy member along with others in this squad. Which year I ask? I cannot find him in the last two Academy squads - so is it the 2011/12 squad?

There was a James Simpson (Ballynahinch) who was listed as a 2nd row replacement for the game against Ireland U20 in the 2009/10 season (03 Jan 2010). Could this be the same guy? Is he coming to the Academy late?
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Tighty
Initiate

Post by Tighty »

cables wrote:
From a distance - great song from Tina btw. Also from a distance, James Simpson is reported by UR to be an Academy member along with others in this squad. Which year I ask? I cannot find him in the last two Academy squads - so is it the 2011/12 squad?

There was a James Simpson (Ballynahinch) who was listed as a 2nd row replacement for the game against Ireland U20 in the 2009/10 season (03 Jan 2010). Could this be the same guy? Is he coming to the Academy late?

HEINEKEN ULSTER RUGBY AWARDS ON 10th May 2011

KEN GOODALL AWARD FOR THE OUTSTANDING CLUB PLAYER OF THE YEAR
Peter Henderson (City of Derry), Paul Pritchard (Ballymena), James Simpson (Ballynahinch)
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

Hinch second row has also played blind side, he is mobile with good hands and an offloading game, 6 foot 6 as well i think and with the lack of young second rows around I guess Ulster want to see him in the academy for a year and see how he does. Warwick is from Ballymena and was in the enlarged Ireland Under 20 squad this year can also cover hooker I think. Olding was the B.R.A and Irish Schools out half this year, meant to be very good and has impressed alot of the squad already. Interesting to see Nelson moved to full back he played Inside centre for the Under 20's last week, will be interesting to see what position he ends up in.
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

Don't think so.
We should win this with that team