Ulster Snr League

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster Snr League

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Good enough for that shower of Rainey, I have no doubt they would do it themselves, swings and roundabouts
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Pob
Novice

Post by Pob »

This sort of thing happens all the time at every level below 1st xv. If the 5 guys who are normally benching for the 1s come into the 2nds team its obviously going to give them a big boost. C'est la vie, dry yer eyes etc. I am a Rainey man by the way......
RuPi
Initiate

Post by RuPi »

How did the Deramore devils do this weekend?
Tighty
Initiate

Post by Tighty »

RuPi wrote:How did the Deramore devils do this weekend?

Think they got ''tanked'' by Queens' 2's 69 -11 ...and the match was blown up early. Hardly surprising as Quins'1's had a game !!!

looks like ''good coaching'' is going to take a bit longer to yield results ???!!!
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Makes an absolute joke of last weeks result at Rainey. I see the Boneyard tag has been dropped to the moree GAA friendly Deramore Sports Complex
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
dublane
Novice

Post by dublane »

without exaggeration, queen's could've won by 100 on saturday. devels look to be very poor.
Flanker123
Novice

Post by Flanker123 »

Devels Flame Extinguished (Again)
Ards 2s 13-12 Belfast Harlequins 2s.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Sour grapes match report, why not just write we were thumped again by a crap team and a crap ref, this boy Henderson can write some pooh

The "Deramore Devels" travelled to Hamilton Park to face Ards 2nd XV in the Ulster Senior 2nd XV league hoping to move towards a second spot in the league but this was to be denied by the home side.

By Mark Henderson

Although Ards had worked out that to keep the ball in the first half would cut down any chance of the Quins side scoring neither side had counted on the match officially odd decisions.

The first half was uninteresting with the home side retaining the ball and and not even passing past their 10, it was an effective tactic but with the strong Quins defence the game was played out in between the two 10 metre lines. The only two times Ards made it to the Quins 22 was through a break in the line due to an injury and what looked like a sure try but for the Ards player to drop the ball is if tackled by an invisible defender, the other occasion was 28 mins into the game when a penalty was awarded near enough to take a shot at the post which was successful. 3-0

The penalty count was in this half was to pave the way for some odd decisions with the match official giving a penalty on an average of every 3 minutes which on occasions baffled both sides and spectators, this along with Ards game plan made for a very uninteresting but effective first half for the home side.

The second half was to become controversial and credit to Ards they made most of the situation reading the referee and spoiling any Quins scoring opportunities.

The second half was to be more open with Quins getting their hands on the ball and dominating the collision area but only 4 mins into the half a penalty for hands in a ruck gave the home side the opportunity to take their deserved lead to 6 - 0.

The restart kick off appeared to go the required 10 metres but was played anyway by an Ards prop, pressure caused him to loose the ball and the referee to blow his whistle and award the scrum to Ards as the ball hadn't gone the 10 metres?

Both side played some good rugby over the next 10 to 15 minutes but Quins started to get into the game and put pressure on the Ards line. This soon lead to a forwards try scored by "Devels" debutante jack lavery, conversion was missed., 6 - 5

Quins kept the pressure on and this resulted in a number of 5 metre mauls and scrums, however the match official was again to produce some good decisions, on 3 occasions when Quins mauled over the touchline to score the referee adjudicated they were held up and as a result of not grounding the ball the scrums were awarded to the defending side ? Unfortunately soon after this passage of play a lapse in defence concentration saw Ards run in an easy converted try. 13 - 5

On another occasion when Quins had a 5 metre scrum the Ards scrumhalf made his way infront of the referee and took up a position behind the Quins number 8 as if he was a Quins player so when the 8 broke from the scrum the 9 tackled him and another scoring opportunity went.

Quins were frustrated in the game and although the stronger side and creating good scoring opportunities the decisions stopped this from happening.

Four minutes before full time former Ards player PK McKee went over the line to score out wide after some good handling, Matt Mullan made the conversion, 13 - 12.

Quins secured the restart but an error caused the ball to be lost and the full time whistle.

An interesting game in which credit to the home side they played the decisions to their advantage, Quins must lick their wounds and move on. They have a small break in fixtures and during this time a number are going to the Dubai Sevens to take part in that tournament which will be good training for the rest of their season
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
FailureBeforeExcellence
Novice

Post by FailureBeforeExcellence »

Maybe a touch harsh on the teams beating the Devels there, after all, I think some of the teams are progressing well, compare Ards to last season (2nds), they were dismal (we'll not mention their 1sts), but have picked up a few wins this season, twice against 'quins, and Rainey. It shows how some teams use the 'Conference' system to improve their players rather than being boshed every week by 'gannon/'mena/'hinch...
sus5
Novice

Post by sus5 »

The Deramore Devels are not doing too well.....but yet I saw they thrashed Rainey......so they cant be all bad ??? Are they just a young team ???
Pob
Novice

Post by Pob »

Rainey are pretty poor and Quins had their 1sts subs available that day hence had a strong team.

Few boys on here seem a bit obsessed with the (mis)fortunes of a 2nd XV team :?

No discussion of the good result they had against CoD a few weeks back though for some reason..... :stir:
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Maybe kofi could look at his own clubs firsts rather than disparage others seconds and their signings.

Ffs he still thinks Adam Darcy is at Ballynahinch but thinks he's fit to comment on the Quins seconds
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

ColinM wrote:Maybe kofi could look at his own clubs firsts rather than disparage others seconds and their signings.

Ffs he still thinks Adam Darcy is at Ballynahinch but thinks he's fit to comment on the Quins seconds
Colin, I did admit my faux pas regards Darcy, due to an early liquid lunch one was quite confused, however , I do know a crock of pooh when I see it and Quins 2nds fit snugly into that crock,

My own firsts are great it's just that the coach is below par, he has taken them as far as he can and its time for a change then more can be got out of the current squad.

Ards 2nds are doing very well this year just think how we'll they would have done in the Jnr leagues if they had got their way.
FailureBeforeExcellence
Novice

Post by FailureBeforeExcellence »

Kofi Annan wrote:Ards 2nds are doing very well this year just think how we'll they would have done in the Jnr leagues if they had got their way.
I think they may well be weaker than they are now, alot of the younger players they are playing may have went elsewhere rather than challenge for Senior rugby...

The mighty Banbridge this week should be a test of their strength. :thumleft: :D

The branch can be proud I think of the results their decision to keep Senior sides in the 2nd XV League, and the conference leagues/split 2nd XV league has helped.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Results for Saturday,December 22

ULSTER SENIOR LEAGUE

Armagh 16 Ballymena 9 :D

Dungannon 23 City of Derry 19 :D

Banbridge 33 Rainey OB 21

Ballynahinch w/o Ards (no team)

Belfast Harlequins v Queen’s - postponed

Instonians v Malone - postponed
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best