Injury Update

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Re: Injury Update

Post by jean valjean »

Love to see this backline up against ireland, sorry leinsters.....

9- Cooney
10 - Burns
11 - Stockdale
12 - McCloskey
13 - Hume
14 - Baloucoune
15 - Addison

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

jean valjean wrote:Love to see this backline up against ireland, sorry leinsters.....

9- Cooney
10 - Burns
11 - Stockdale
12 - McCloskey
13 - Hume
14 - Baloucoune
15 - Addison

Mike at 10 after 6months embedding there without everyone saying ‘he’s a better 15’ after every ‘mistake’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

kingofthehill wrote:
jean valjean wrote:Love to see this backline up against ireland, sorry leinsters.....

9- Cooney
10 - Burns
11 - Stockdale
12 - McCloskey
13 - Hume
14 - Baloucoune
15 - Addison

Mike at 10 after 6months embedding there without everyone saying ‘he’s a better 15’ after every ‘mistake’.

I'd be happy to give Mike a run at 10 this year in order to find out if he is the future or not. I believe next season with kitshoff and perhaps a 6/8 to replace duane will be our best shot at a trophy. It also gives the younger guys another year to see who comes through. If Mikey doesn't work out then we should go for a 10 post world Cup also.

Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

I hate to set cat among pigeons but I actually think we will win some silverware this season!
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

jean valjean wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:50 pm
kingofthehill wrote:

9- Cooney
10 - Burns
11 - Stockdale
12 - McCloskey
13 - Hume
14 - Baloucoune
15 - Addison

I'd be happy to give Mike a run at 10 this year in order to find out if he is the future or not. I believe next season with kitshoff and perhaps a 6/8 to replace duane will be our best shot at a trophy. It also gives the younger guys another year to see who comes through. If Mikey doesn't work out then we should go for a 10 post world Cup also.

Elrigh Louw or Evan Roos please when the time comes to replace big D.
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

jean valjean wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:50 pm
kingofthehill wrote:

9- Cooney
10 - Burns
11 - Stockdale
12 - McCloskey
13 - Hume
14 - Baloucoune
15 - Addison

Almost all the 10s on our roster can run a backline competently or even well on their day. The big weakness we seem to have is kicking from hand. None of our 10s (maybe Madigan but it's so long since we've seen him play I've forgotten) seem to be able to kick the ball more than about 10 yards. This is a massive weakness in our game when it comes to clearing kicks (how often this season have we struggled to exit our 22), tactical/field position kicking) and perhaps most of all penalties to touch. Basically unless the penalty is awarded in the opposition 22, we seem to have no chance of getting anywhere close to the 5m line. This season we have regularly been getting penalties in or around the half way line which end up with a lineout somewhere between the 10m and the 22. That means we get very little, if any, advantage from a midfield penalty. Look at what other teams can do with a penalty around the halfway line. If Sexton is kicking he will be howling at the gods if he lands it even a few metres short of the 5m line. I'm not convinced Lowry has the boot to solve any of those issues, but am open to persuasion.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I’d agree with that.

Dan mentioned the psychologist the other night.

One would hope he’s trying to get Billy to forget about what happened the last time he tried to go for the corner…..
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

I repeat Lowry as a starting 10 is an injury waiting to happen and playing 10 at school against mixed quality half backs is no guide to survival in the pro game where the deliberate marginally late tackle is an assured happening against any half back who attempts and gives the opposition a red face .

And if your playing Lowry and denying him to ability to make a break then any advantage of Lowry at 10 is lost .

Any disbeliever only has to compare the Carberry who played in AIL and the Carberry playing for Munster and Ireland .

The difference between a standard out half and a good out half in the Pro game is timing and vision and the ability to provide his backline with quality ball .

Think PJ -- seldom breaks but has the vision to provide the right player with a timely pass .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

rumncoke wrote:I repeat Lowry as a starting 10 is an injury waiting to happen and playing 10 at school against mixed quality half backs is no guide to survival in the pro game where the deliberate marginally late tackle is an assured happening against any half back who attempts and gives the opposition a red face .

And if your playing Lowry and denying him to ability to make a break then any advantage of Lowry at 10 is lost .

Any disbeliever only has to compare the Carberry who played in AIL and the Carberry playing for Munster and Ireland .

The difference between a standard out half and a good out half in the Pro game is timing and vision and the ability to provide his backline with quality ball .

Think PJ -- seldom breaks but has the vision to provide the right player with a timely pass .
Only way to find out Run is to give him an extended run at 10.

I do feel you’re very wrong but just my opinion and you know know what everyone says about opinions….

PJ was not a 10 who could break the line even at school.

StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

rumncoke wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:27 am I repeat Lowry as a starting 10 is an injury waiting to happen and playing 10 at school against mixed quality half backs is no guide to survival in the pro game where the deliberate marginally late tackle is an assured happening against any half back who attempts and gives the opposition a red face .

Playing rugby is an injury waiting to happen. Occupational hazard. That’s not a reason not to give Mikey a run at 10.
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

rumncoke wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:27 am I repeat Lowry as a starting 10 is an injury waiting to happen
I'm not saying you're wrong, but in fairness to Lowry, he has been involved in a lot of big collisions this season and has handled them well for the most part (most recent one perhaps excepted). Granted a 10 would expect to see a bit more traffic than a 15 but on the other hand, the type of collisions a 10 sees nowadays are arguably less attritional than a 15 gets. When the opposition back row is running down your 10 channel it is usually off a set piece and your 10 always has the support either of a forward or the inside centre to double up on the tackle. When a back row ends up 1 on 1 with the 15, the 15 is usually completely on his own and the back row has usually accelerated to top speed by the time the tackle is required. So my feeling is that Lowry has shown himself to be a brave and fairly robust defender. My bet is that he would do ok defensively at 10 albeit he won't be capable of the hollywood stuff like reefing the ball loose or making a choke tackle like sexton can.

I'd be keen to see Lowry get his chance at 10 but I think whatever he does, he needs to have one position by the end of the season otherwise he will end up riding the bench for too much of his career.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

StandUp wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:31 pm
rumncoke wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:27 am I repeat Lowry as a starting 10 is an injury waiting to happen and playing 10 at school against mixed quality half backs is no guide to survival in the pro game where the deliberate marginally late tackle is an assured happening against any half back who attempts and gives the opposition a red face .

Playing rugby is an injury waiting to happen. Occupational hazard. That’s not a reason not to give Mikey a run at 10.
No it isn’t but the fact that we were only one defensive set away from (probably) winning the league last season would be, in the eyes of most professional coaches who rely on results to keep their jobs.

We saw what happened against the Bulls and Munster with, respectively, Mads and Mike at 10 and how long can you wait for someone to find their feet?

Despite Billy limping through three quarters of most games, he’s pretty durable and it would (presumably) need him to be injured for the jersey to be entrusted to AN Other for more than the odd game.

It’s not, of course, beyond the realms of possibility that it’s actually Flannery who’ll turn out to be ‘the future’……..
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

justinr73 wrote:
StandUp wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:31 pm

No it isn’t but the fact that we were only one defensive set away from (probably) winning the league last season would be, in the eyes of most professional coaches who rely on results to keep their jobs.

We saw what happened against the Bulls and Munster with, respectively, Mads and Mike at 10 and how long can you wait for someone to find their feet?

Despite Billy limping through three quarters of most games, he’s pretty durable and it would (presumably) need him to be injured for the jersey to be entrusted to AN Other for more than the odd game.

It’s not, of course, beyond the realms of possibility that it’s actually Flannery who’ll turn out to be ‘the future’……..
Ironic to think but Flannery is a better 15 than 10.

jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

It is possible to develop a game plan that avoids the 10 being nailed all the time. Just look at how ireland have protected sexton the last 12 months by relieving him of the duty in bringing the ball to the line. IMO ulster can play a similar game with the likes of moore and others able to offload at the gainline.

kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

jean valjean wrote:It is possible to develop a game plan that avoids the 10 being nailed all the time. Just look at how ireland have protected sexton the last 12 months by relieving him of the duty in bringing the ball to the line. IMO ulster can play a similar game with the likes of moore and others able to offload at the gainline.

Most top sides play with two playmakers either side of open play now.