Connacht and Elwood.

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Re: Connacht and Elwood.

Post by fuzzylogic »

Is it any wonder, Ulster, Munster and Leinster raid all their best players like Cronin, Keatley and Carr and replace them with the likes of Niall O'Connor, McCrea and Anderson.
Mary had a little lamb . . .
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

fuzzylogic wrote:Is it any wonder, Ulster, Munster and Leinster raid all their best players like Cronin, Keatley and Carr and replace them with the likes of Niall O'Connor, McCrea and Anderson.
?
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

by Snipe Watson » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:18 pm
fuzzylogic wrote:
Is it any wonder, Ulster, Munster and Leinster raid all their best players like Cronin, Keatley and Carr and replace them with the likes of Niall O'Connor, McCrea and Anderson.
?
McComish . . . errr ok, maybe ive made better posts :lol:
Mary had a little lamb . . .
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

fuzzylogic wrote:
by Snipe Watson » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:18 pm
fuzzylogic wrote:
?
McComish . . . errr ok, maybe ive made better posts :lol:
"their best players" bit threw me. :lol: :lol: :lol:
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

fuzzylogic wrote:Is it any wonder, Ulster, Munster and Leinster raid all their best players like Cronin, Keatley and Carr and then don't even play them and replace them with the likes of Niall O'Connor, McCrea and Anderson.
Yes Fuzzmeister, trust you don't mind my little addition. The truth is they are taken as back up squad players for international & injury cover.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

LastKnightoftheproms wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
fuzzylogic wrote:Is it any wonder, Ulster, Munster and Leinster raid all their best players like Cronin, Keatley and Carr and then don't even play them and replace them with the likes of Niall O'Connor, McCrea and Anderson.
Yes Fuzzmeister, trust you don't mind my little addition. The truth is they are taken as back up squad players for international & injury cover.
Up until recently Carr has been playing AIL. :roll:

Seriously, Wigglesworth and Browne could content themselves sorting out maximising the use of the players we've got rather than frigging up the NIQ thing.
Tax break means they cannot control the players to that extent. Wigglesworth needs to wake up and smell the coffee; Ireland is two jurisdictions. They want to micro manage, but it cannot work.
porterbelly
Novice

Post by porterbelly »

'The players are all good players & can compete at a top level. They are totally capable of winning for their region. There are diseases at bay..........'

Posted by Mr. Ezra Taylor, former Connacht player on the Connacht Facebook Page

By that he means Eric Elwood

He also makes it clear in his tweets to the players which go along the line of 'It's bull, you guys deserve better' and 'blame shouldn't be on you'.

Not a ringing endorsement for Elwood, and it would have some credence seeing as he's still in contact with most of the players.

Having said that, it's completely unprofessional from someone who hardly set the world alight in the green jersey, spent most of his time injured and getting barred from nightclubs
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

porterbelly wrote:'The players are all good players & can compete at a top level. They are totally capable of winning for their region. There are diseases at bay..........'

Posted by Mr. Ezra Taylor, former Connacht player on the Connacht Facebook Page

By that he means Eric Elwood

He also makes it clear in his tweets to the players which go along the line of 'It's bull, you guys deserve better' and 'blame shouldn't be on you'.

Not a ringing endorsement for Elwood, and it would have some credence seeing as he's still in contact with most of the players.

Having said that, it's completely unprofessional from someone who hardly set the world alight in the green jersey, spent most of his time injured and getting barred from nightclubs
He speaks highly of you
porterbelly
Novice

Post by porterbelly »

LastKnightoftheproms wrote:
porterbelly wrote: By that he means Eric Elwood

Have to say I'm a bit disappointed by that have a lot of time for Elwood. Great players don't always make great coaches but it struck me that Elwood has a brain and I though he started well. That's why I was shocked you'd lost 13 on the bounce. Though Quinns riding high in the AP looked mighty relieved to beat you at their place.

Hope it picks up for you guys. Who knows, wouldn't bet against Leinster again this year so more Heiney next year might attract players who don do "tw@tter".
The jury is out about Elwood.

Connacht legend, no doubt about that, he has huge passion and commitment to the province. However, he is very hands on and doesn't let the other coaches get involved as much as their brief says they should. Billy Melrose, our former backs coach left for London irish during the summer, the reason believed to be largely to do with Elwood not giving him enough responsiblilty with the backs. The same seems to be the case with Billy Millard this season. We don't look like a team that's well coached. Because of the budget constraints and things that aren't in our favour, we need to be well drilled and essentially better than the sum of our parts. We haven't been that for much of the season.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Watched some of Aironi game Connaught look like a team caught in two game plans neither of which are working far to many simple needless errors at the moment of opportunity. Everybody seems to think its their fault and lose concentration waiting for the next one. Little monents of promise dashed on the brick wall of incompetence.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
SDK
Novice

Post by SDK »

A reliable kicker would help. I've seen 3 different kickers in the recent matches and all of them only average kickers. A better kicker and they would have beaten Leinster recently.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

SDK wrote:A reliable kicker would help. I've seen 3 different kickers in the recent matches and all of them only average kickers. A better kicker and they would have beaten Leinster recently.
What about NOC? I hear he has a big boot on him... :duck:
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Harold7
Warrior

Post by Harold7 »

It doesn't look great for the Westies.n There are plenty of good players kicking their heels on the various provincial benches or having to settle for AIL that would be better used at Connacht. And I'm talking about players who only make their provincial benches when the internationals are away. If these guys were sent west it would force the other provinces to stick a few more kids on the bench from time to time and thus achieve what the IRFU want without having to feck around with the NIQ policy. Plus it would strengthen Connacht. For example why did Leinster need to sign Carr when they have Conway, Madigan (can play back three) and Kearney coming through?

Anyway back to Connacht one positive for them is that I believe their U20s won the Inter Pros this season and there seems to be a lot of them involved with the Irish U20s so hopefully a few of them make the grade out west.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Being in the HEC has probably made the situation worse. In the ACC, Connacht could probably rely on winning 3 or maybe 4 of those games up to this point, but the HEC is tougher.

They were discussing Connacht's plight on the On the ball podcast last night and the feeling was that Billy Millard may have scored an own goal with his public criticism of the players. Yes, he was probably speaking from the heart but those sorts of things are usually kept within the changing room walls.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

It doesn't look great for the Westies.n There are plenty of good players kicking their heels on the various provincial benches or having to settle for AIL that would be better used at Connacht. And I'm talking about players who only make their provincial benches when the internationals are away. If these guys were sent west it would force the other provinces to stick a few more kids on the bench from time to time and thus achieve what the IRFU want without having to feck around with the NIQ policy. Plus it would strengthen Connacht. For example why did Leinster need to sign Carr when they have Conway, Madigan (can play back three) and Kearney coming through?

Anyway back to Connacht one positive for them is that I believe their U20s won the Inter Pros this season and there seems to be a lot of them involved with the Irish U20s so hopefully a few of them make the grade out west.
The truth is The IRFU don't care about Connacht , Keatley, Carr, Hagan and Cronin shouldn't have been allowed to leave Connacht and warm the benches at Leinster and Munster...
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.