Yellow/red cards

Use this forum for anything related to the UAFC website or this messageboard.

Moderator: Moderators

darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Re: Yellow/red cards

Post by darkside lightside »

I appreciate what others have said about the level of moderation that goes on in the background, which may be the case. I still think having a formal 'line' on, and sanction of, ad hom attacks is a useful thing - it makes people think twice and self-edit, and I think that this is at the root of a lot that has made this place progressively less interesting over time - it might only take one post from some blustering blowhard of an armchair hardman to make a decent poster think to himself 'feck it why do I even bother?' and not come back..

The way it would work is - we already have the ability to report posts, just stick in a 'Yellow Card - man not the ball' category, and it's submitted for review by mods. There could be a Yellow/Red Card thread, where cards are recorded. 2 or 3 yellows, you get a red.

I would also introduce a sanction for spamming threads with 'amusing' images from of the internet.
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

darkside lightside wrote:I appreciate what others have said about the level of moderation that goes on in the background, which may be the case. I still think having a formal 'line' on, and sanction of, ad hom attacks is a useful thing - it makes people think twice and self-edit, and I think that this is at the root of a lot that has made this place progressively less interesting over time - it might only take one post from some blustering blowhard of an armchair hardman to make a decent poster think to himself 'feck it why do I even bother?' and not come back..

The way it would work is - we already have the ability to report posts, just stick in a 'Yellow Card - man not the ball' category, and it's submitted for review by mods. There could be a Yellow/Red Card thread, where cards are recorded. 2 or 3 yellows, you get a red.

I would also introduce a sanction for spamming threads with 'amusing' images from of the internet.
Just stumbled across this.

May I make an observation? This site belongs to Fermain - everyone else entering here is a guest. If we were visiting Fermain in his house, would we be telling him who he should allow into his own house, when and under what conditions? NO we would not! Fermain's house, Fermain's rules!

Same applies to the site. Can I suggest that if we visit this site, we accept the rules as Fermain chooses to set and enforce them? If someone wants different rules, then my I respectfully and politely suggest you set up your own site, then you can have all the red cards, yellow cards and even star-spangled purple and pink ones if it tickles yer fancy?

This is not to show favour to either side of the various arguments debated above - simply a show of respect for our host. End of!

But to be clear ..... if anyone doesn't like what I post and wants to show me a yellow ....... Tell tale bieber :shock: , yer grannie can't knit ......... :lol:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I on the other hand would simply introduce a 6 months ban for people who are so endlessly tedious that when the rank and file have rubbished a stupid idea come back again for another go. :evil:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Yellow/red cards

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

darkside lightside wrote:
WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:Folks like me just dont go away.
I know you may fancy yourself as the board's resident bad boy, but if I'm being honest, I wasn't thinking about you at all when I was making this suggestion.. sorry to disappoint :)
gutted. Truly and utterly stone cold stupified.

Perhaps I need to up my post rate. I have been quiet in recent months.
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Yellow/red cards

Scranner wrote:
WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:
Scranner wrote:Someone asked a while ago where all the posters had gone. IMO they got fed up with having to wade through all the excrement to find posts they could enjoy or contribute to without being subjected to abuse. I'm all for sanctions for personal attacks and red and yellow cards seem to be the perfect answer. A warning from the mods, followed by yellow (a week's suspension) followed by red (a month). Two red cards and you're out for six months.
Ho ho, one of the funnier posts I've read in a while.
Spoken like a shy ginger kid who has just been slapped across the chops and been given a wedgie. Tell me, do you feel picked on? Victimised? Made to feel inadequate?

Absolutely not and certainly not by a numpty like you who seems to think that seems to think he has a divine right to ridicule others' posts. You sound like the gormless idiot (bully) who made smaller, younger kids' life a misery at school and before you ask - no I wasn't one of them.

You might not agree with me ridiculing your posts. Perhaps if you thought before you posted we wouldn't be in this pickle, would we? It's moronic, brainless goons who ruin this site. Not the fine folks who spend considerable time and effort trying to highlight the error of their ways. For all I know, were I or goonhead not to 'chastise' or 'instruct' some of you clowns, you might step out onto a busy road without looking. You might put a knife in the toaster. Take the electric heater with you when you're having a bath. Shave your ar$e and wipe your face with bog roll.

I think before I post and I stand by my right to be wrong or to have a different opinion from others. I'm not intimidated by name calling nor am I being precious. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. If it's half a*sed it does no harm to point that out but I always thought that there was merit in constructive criticism not just slagging for its own sake. Then again perhaps you want to keep the site all to yourself and your mates with nobody else getting a look in. And that just makes you an ar$e.
you, sir, are a disgrace.

A balloon who is only fit to be burst by the fat kid with the crew cut.

And - so you're aware - anyone who makes a post this long by way of complaint might be being just a smidgen 'precious'. Even if he tells the world that he's not.

I wasn't a bully at school. I was in fact, in the orchestra. And I was (still am) very smart. My broad appeal however allowed me to befriend most of those in my year. So there.

Wrong this one is. Wrong, a moron, and hopefully, soon to be gone.
Scranner
Warrior

Post by Scranner »

White Knight
“A balloon who is only fit to be burst by the fat kid with the crew cut. “ Call me what you like. It doesn’t make you right. Just because you were in the orchestra doesn’t mean you weren’t a bully. And I’ve seen nothing in your posts that leads to believe that you are “very smart”.
“Wrong this one is. Wrong, a moron, and hopefully, soon to be gone. “ - not exactly scintillating prose. But I still maintain it’s my right to be wrong and why would I go anywhere? Certainly not on your sayso, Numpty. Short enough for you?
STATE PRO VIRIS ULTONIAE
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Scranner, I tried the indirect approach with some gentle advice but it has fallen on deaf ears so now to be a little more direct.

As one with the interests of all posters at heart - barring of course the type of chube who would originate a ridiculous thread like this - you are engaging in an unwinnable argument, Welder will merely vary his thrust & counter-thrust depending on the content of your replies and the amount of pique you reveal. He is a man of infinite patience.

Much as I find it all endlessly amusing I thought it best you know the facts of the matter. Of course there is the possibility that you are not at all piqued and are enjoying the exchange in which case, have at it Sirrah.

Do I hear Cornerfleg warming up for a chorus of "fight fight fight"?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Scranner wrote:White Knight
“A balloon who is only fit to be burst by the fat kid with the crew cut. “ Call me what you like. It doesn’t make you right. Just because you were in the orchestra doesn’t mean you weren’t a bully. And I’ve seen nothing in your posts that leads to believe that you are “very smart”.
“Wrong this one is. Wrong, a moron, and hopefully, soon to be gone. “ - not exactly scintillating prose. But I still maintain it’s my right to be wrong and why would I go anywhere? Certainly not on your sayso, Numpty. Short enough for you?
The orchestra was to highlight the fact that I mingled with those who typically would be on the receiving end of a bully's thuggery. I had only the odd scuffle in the playground at school - once I kicked a football in the quad, and, when it (100% non-deliberately) caught a teacher on the side of the head, and got confiscated, the guy who owned the ball punched me. I punched him back, bit of handbags, he got a shiner, a broken thumb (he punched me with his thumb tucked INSIDE his fist - moron - and detention. And he'd lost his football. The moral, take your medicine when it comes, and count your losses.

Anyway, where was I?

Oh, yes, I certainly wasn't the sort to willy-nilly pick on a weaker being. My intelligence? Two A grades at A level enough for you? But who am I to waste my time, proving my worth, to someone who is only trying to throw cheap insults in an effort to make a name for himself on the forum.

I've been here a while. I've seen clowns like you come and go. Try and start a turf war, and hope that those who are against me, side with you. "Mine enemies enemy, is my friend" - or something on that jist?

THIS FORUM IS ALREADY MODERATED. BANS AND SUSPENSIONS ARE ALREADY DISHED OUT.
That was all I said (in more or less words albeit).

Where has this campaign to blacken my good name come from? What has fuelled your passion to get one over on me? Did I set you on fire and take a slash on your blackened carcass?

It is indeed your right to be wrong. You certainly exercise that right on a frequent basis, judging by the content of your posts.
Carry on if you will. Continue to 'try your luck' against the White Knight. If time permits, I'll play ball with you. I might even throw a gentle one back, giving you every chance to knock one out of the park - make you feel good about yourself, eh?
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Scratcher - are you a ginger?

Am struggling to understand where this (admittedly well worded) complex comes from...
I conclude either someone who doesn't quite fit in with the norm, or someone who doesn't quite realise what they're taking on.

Like a kid ordering the large rib eye. Never going to finish this thing. Going to end up broken, with meat sweats, and flatulent. Most likely.
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:May I make an observation? This site belongs to Fermain - everyone else entering here is a guest. If we were visiting Fermain in his house, would we be telling him who he should allow into his own house, when and under what conditions? NO we would not! Fermain's house, Fermain's rules!

Same applies to the site. Can I suggest that if we visit this site, we accept the rules as Fermain chooses to set and enforce them? If someone wants different rules, then my I respectfully and politely suggest you set up your own site, then you can have all the red cards, yellow cards and even star-spangled purple and pink ones if it tickles yer fancy?
listen matey, may I make an observation right back - I wasn't telling Fermain to do anything, I was merely throwing a suggestion out that he may or may not choose to pay heed to. So may I respectfully suggest that you read what other people actually write, rather than coming over all hoity-toity?

If you don't like this site, where posters can make friendly suggestions to Fermain and the mods, then I suggest you go and set up your own site, where nobody suggests anything to anybody. cheers.
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
Scranner
Warrior

Post by Scranner »

WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote: Anyway, where was I?

Oh, yes, I certainly wasn't the sort to willy-nilly pick on a weaker being. My intelligence? Two A grades at A level enough for you? But who am I to waste my time, proving my worth, to someone who is only trying to throw cheap insults in an effort to make a name for himself on the forum.

I've been here a while. I've seen clowns like you come and go. Try and start a turf war, and hope that those who are against me, side with you. "Mine enemies enemy, is my friend" - or something on that jist?

Where has this campaign to blacken my good name come from? What has fuelled your passion to get one over on me? Did I set you on fire and take a slash on your blackened carcass?

It is indeed your right to be wrong. You certainly exercise that right on a frequent basis, judging by the content of your posts.
Carry on if you will. Continue to 'try your luck' against the White Knight. If time permits, I'll play ball with you. I might even throw a gentle one back, giving you every chance to knock one out of the park - make you feel good about yourself, eh?
Is there such a thing as a megalomaniac paranoid? :-? I don't feel any need to make a name for myself or for that matter to blacken yours. You seem to be able to do that all by yourself. And yes, Baggy. I am starting to enjoy myself.
STATE PRO VIRIS ULTONIAE
Scranner
Warrior

Post by Scranner »

WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:Scratcher - are you a ginger?

Am struggling to understand where this (admittedly well worded) complex comes from...
I conclude either someone who doesn't quite fit in with the norm, or someone who doesn't quite realise what they're taking on.

Like a kid ordering the large rib eye. Never going to finish this thing. Going to end up broken, with meat sweats, and flatulent. Most likely.
What has my hair colour got to do with anything? Certainly nothing as far as my posting is concerned and as it happens not ginger. As for not realising who I am "taking on". Sounds a bit like "Do you know who I am?" and we all know the sort of people who use that line. Not really interested in finishing anything. Rather starting to enjoy the banter.
STATE PRO VIRIS ULTONIAE
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

darkside lightside wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:May I make an observation? This site belongs to Fermain - everyone else entering here is a guest. If we were visiting Fermain in his house, would we be telling him who he should allow into his own house, when and under what conditions? NO we would not! Fermain's house, Fermain's rules!

listen matey, may I make an observation right back - I wasn't telling Fermain to do anything, I was merely throwing a suggestion out that he may or may not choose to pay heed to. So may I respectfully suggest that you read what other people actually write, rather than coming over all hoity-toity?

If you don't like this site, where posters can make friendly suggestions to Fermain and the mods, then I suggest you go and set up your own site, where nobody suggests anything to anybody. cheers.
Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo - someone's a little touchy this morning Grumps :lol: :lol: :lol:

It is such a pathetically transparent "friendly suggestion" that its just a shame you didn't simply write "Please Fermain, Sir, is there any chance you could ban that Mr.Trousers, Sir, he makes my bowels move to a very strange rhythm. I want him gone Sir, please please please." That at least would be honest rather than making your suggestion, having it rubbished by most, having a second go & doubtless more & more attempts to try to get Diddum's wittle way.

For God's sake man, grow a set and stop whinging, you may not like me but there are plenty who appear to, live with it. I had heard from someone very dear to you who actually likes you who assures me you aren't a total prat, maybe you should try a little hard to convince more than one person - hell, I forgot MR - Ok, more than 2 people.

Let me assure you that moderation is alive and well on this site, how you have escaped attention I don't know but unless you wish to badmouth the moderators I suggest that you believe it, man up a touch and stop whining.
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Scranner wrote:Is there such a thing as a megalomaniac paranoid? I don't feel any need to make a name for myself or for that matter to blacken yours. You seem to be able to do that all by yourself. And yes, Baggy. I am starting to enjoy myself.
Scranner wrote:What has my hair colour got to do with anything? Certainly nothing as far as my posting is concerned and as it happens not ginger. As for not realising who I am "taking on". Sounds a bit like "Do you know who I am?" and we all know the sort of people who use that line. Not really interested in finishing anything (your mum prefers that I finish what I start). Rather starting to enjoy the banter.
I agree, I'm more than capable of getting myself a bad name around here. In fact, the egotistical S.O.B. inside of me positively craves it. $hit stinks out a room full of roses, eh? The attention, the harshly worded warnings from the mods (inside they're smirking, wishing they'd thought of some of my stuff themselves...), the way that some of the morons around here can't resist but bite back when I cast them a baited line. It's intoxicating, overwhelming, ecclesiastical, orgasmical...

What's your excuse though? Why are you barking like you're the dog with the biggest bone?

You're not a ginger, hmmm... Receding hairline from your early twenties? Overly hairy back? Large waist and short legs - do you need to get your jeans professionally turned up when you buy them? There is definitely something there, something that you're trying to compensate for. Let us all in on the joke please?

Glad you're enjoying yourself though. Always nice to hear of another living life to the MAX, embracing the opportunities they've been handed, and not getting dragged down into the bog of ruination that some enter when they cross my path... (yes, that's right, this is a thinly veiled "Do you not know who I am, mate?")
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:
Scranner wrote:Is there such a thing as a megalomaniac paranoid? I don't feel any need to make a name for myself or for that matter to blacken yours. You seem to be able to do that all by yourself. And yes, Baggy. I am starting to enjoy myself.
Scranner wrote:What has my hair colour got to do with anything? Certainly nothing as far as my posting is concerned and as it happens not ginger. As for not realising who I am "taking on". Sounds a bit like "Do you know who I am?" and we all know the sort of people who use that line. Not really interested in finishing anything (your mum prefers that I finish what I start). Rather starting to enjoy the banter.
I agree, I'm more than capable of getting myself a bad name around here. In fact, the egotistical S.O.B. inside of me positively craves it. $hit stinks out a room full of roses, eh? The attention, the harshly worded warnings from the mods (inside they're smirking, wishing they'd thought of some of my stuff themselves...), the way that some of the morons around here can't resist but bite back when I cast them a baited line. It's intoxicating, overwhelming, ecclesiastical, orgasmical...

What's your excuse though? Why are you barking like you're the dog with the biggest bone?

You're not a ginger, hmmm... Receding hairline from your early twenties? Overly hairy back? Large waist and short legs - do you need to get your jeans professionally turned up when you buy them? There is definitely something there, something that you're trying to compensate for. Let us all in on the joke please?

Glad you're enjoying yourself though. Always nice to hear of another living life to the MAX, embracing the opportunities they've been handed, and not getting dragged down into the bog of ruination that some enter when they cross my path... (yes, that's right, this is a thinly veiled "Do you not know who I am, mate?")

SHOCK NEWS: WELDER HINTS AT THE REAL MAN BEHIND THE "WHITEKNIGHT" NAME

In a move sure to cause a stir the artist known as WhiteKnightoftheWeld, a.k.a. Welder, gave a clue as to his real identity. Already known to be a North Down native he slipped in the vital clue in a post haranguing the one known as "Scranner" when he wrote "a thinly veiled "Do you not know who I am, mate?"

Students of North Down lore will recognise instantly that the line "Do you not know who I am?" was last used in public in the heart of Holywood, Co Down some years ago by a one time, real estate middle man. :lol:

The record of the conversation recalls that in response the spotty faced student/waiter loudly cleared his throat before asking the other diners, "can anyone help this man, he doesn't appear to know who he is?"

For those who are unfamiliar with North Down's folklore the man who issued those fateful words was none other than Eric Cairns.

As an interesting addition to the tale the student/waiter has not been seen in Holywood in many years, some wonder did he sleep with the fishes and was his the unidentified body washed up near Crawfordsburn a few years back?

Could WhiteKnightoftheWeld be Eric Cairns? Speculation will no doubt be rife throughout the borough and beyond.