If you were picking a Lions team now

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

lovesthehardground
Steward

Post by lovesthehardground »

I know its a year early and there's still next week's matches to go but what are your choices for a Lions team if it was picked now. Pick 2 players for each position, indicating who would be your starter.

15. Kearney & Halfpenny. Possibly with Halfpenny starting because of his goal kicking option.
14. Cuthbert & Hogg. Cuthbert to start. Have to include Hogg as he deserves a place in the squad.
13. Davies & Barritt. Davies just shading it.
12. Roberts & Tuilagi. Roberts starts.
11. Bowe & North with our Tommy starting.
10. Sexton & ROG. Sexton to start. Went for ROG over Priestland as an alternative style. Priestland & Sexton too similar.
9. Phillips & Dickson. Dickson to start.
8. Morgan & Denton. Denton to start, just. Gone for youth here but both players have looked ahead of the others.
7. Warburton & Tipuric. Warburton to start but Tipuric looks good as backup.
6. Ferris & Lydiate. Ferris to start by a country mile.
5. POC & Gray. POC to start. Have named Gray as back up (middle jumper) but would love him as POCs partner.
4. Botha & Jones. Botha to start. Good grunt and shows up well in the loose.
3. Jones & Ross. Jones to start. A weak area in the squad.
2. Best & Ford. Rory to start.
1. Healy & Jenkins. Jenkins to start.
LTHG
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Re: If you were picking a Lions team now

Post by Big-al »

15. Kearney/Foden/Halfpenny - Kearney, to start. Very close
14.Bowe/Fitzgerald - Bowe to start, Fitzgerald is an incredible talent mind.
13.Tuilagi/Davies - 50/50. Neither are renowned passers
12.Roberts/Barritt - Roberts
11.North/Earls - North
10.Sexton/Farrell/Priestland - Sexton, best 10 in the NH, Priestland is overrated. Had a very poor tournament.
9.Phillips/Dickson/Murray - Phillips, experience and power
8.Faletau/Heaslip - Toby needs to sharpen up
7.Warburton/SOB - Welsh man
6.Ferris/Croft - Ferris by a mile
5.POC/AWJ - Captain again
4.Gray/Charteris/Ryan - Gray to start, he jumps at 2, not 4 BTW.
3.Jones/Cole - Jones by a mile
2.Best/Rees/Ford - Best in great form
1.Healy/Jenkins/Corbisero - In current form Jenkins, but next season Healy will probably overtake him.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Owen Farrell will be the Lions 10 next year.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

15. Halfpenny
14. Bowe
13. Davies
12. Roberts
11. North
10. Farrell
9. Philips

1. Healy
2. Best
3. Jones
4. Gray
5. O'Connell
6. Ferris
7. Warburton
8. Faletau

16. Ford, 17. Jenkins, 18. Ross, 19. Botha, 20. O'Brien, 21. Dickson, 22. Priestland, 23. Kearney
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

I think BOD will still be in the reckoning if he can shake off his injuries.

EDIT: know this is based on form now by the way but just saying he'd likely take the 13 spot if he's 100% fit
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

15. Kearney
14. Cuthbert
13. Tuilagi
12. Roberts
11. North
10. Sexton
9. Dickson

1. Healy
2. Best
3. Jones
4. Gray
5. O'Connell
6. Ferris
7. Warburton
8. Heaslip

16. Ford; 17. Jenkins; 18. Charteris; 19. O'Brien; 20. Phillips; 21. Farrell; 22. Halfpenny
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

Couldn't look past Owen Farrell, has shown an ability to take the right options and execute them with precision that still eludes Sexton. The only thing that remains to be seen is whether or not he'll go down the route of other notably English talents e.g. Cipriani, Youngs, Care etc. You'd hope with Farrell Snr keeping an eye on him he could really become one of the best 10's in world rugby.

15-Kearney, 14-Bowe, 13-Tuilagi, 12-Roberts, 11-North, 10-Farrel, 9-Phillips, 8-Morgan, 7-Warburton, 6-Ferris, 5-POC, 4-Gray, 3-Jones, 2-Best, 1-Healy

Subs-
Ford, G.Jenkins, D.Ryan, Rennie, Dickson, Sexton, Halfpenny/Jon Davies
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

BuckRogers wrote:Couldn't look past Owen Farrell, has shown an ability to take the right options and execute them with precision that still eludes Sexton. The only thing that remains to be seen is whether or not he'll go down the route of other notably English talents e.g. Cipriani, Youngs, Care etc. You'd hope with Farrell Snr keeping an eye on him he could really become one of the best 10's in world rugby.

15-Kearney, 14-Bowe, 13-Tuilagi, 12-Roberts, 11-North, 10-Farrel, 9-Phillips, 8-Morgan, 7-Warburton, 6-Ferris, 5-POC, 4-Gray, 3-Jones, 2-Best, 1-Healy

Subs-
Ford, G.Jenkins, D.Ryan, Rennie, Dickson, Sexton, Halfpenny/Jon Davies
Think next week will be interesting to see how the English players get on as it will be the first game where there is a level of expectancy put upon them following their win in Paris.
The pressure is on them and we will truely see what they are made of.
Of all their players who have impressed thus far, Tuilagi would be their only lions shoe in at this point in time for me.
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

15. Kearney/Foden/Halfepenny - Kearney. RK and Foden are good counter attackers but Halfpenny adds the kicking option
14. Bowe/Cuthburt - Bowe is a better finisher but Cuthburt looks for more work and has more bulk. Bowe to start.
13. Tuilagi/Davies - Tuilagi to start. Shown how vital he is to England and a threat to any backline.
12. Roberts/Morrison - Both big guys but has to be Roberts for me. A big midfield is good.
11. North/Ashton - North. North is excellent, a real modern winger and lots of time to improve.
10. Sexton/Priestland- currently sexton would play but if Priestland gets his rwc form back its a tough one
9. Blair/Phillips - Phillips will play, real threat and a perfect mold for a modern 9. Blairs also been good.

8. Falatau/Morgan - Morgans been a revelation but Faletau has an awesome workrate so gets my pick.
7. Warburton/Robshaw - Both very good players but Warburton has more experience internationally.
6. Fez/Lydiate - Ferris by a mile.
5. POC/Gray - POC definitely. One of the most consistant players in Europe, always brings his all. Both good in the lineout
4. Chateris/Botha - Chateris had a brilliant world cup but both players do alot in the loose but LC gets my pick.
3. Cole/Jones - Cole will come round good again so gets my pick although Jones is very good backup.
2. Best/Hartley - Hartleys discipline will cost him so Best for me.
1. Healy/Jacobson - Healy is my first choice simply for his work rate and he improves with every game
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
brianc
Warrior Assassin

Post by brianc »

Neil F wrote:15. Kearney
14. Cuthbert
13. Tuilagi
12. Roberts
11. North
10. Sexton
9. Dickson

1. Healy
2. Best
3. Jones
4. Gray
5. O'Connell
6. Ferris
7. Warburton
8. Heaslip

16. Ford; 17. Jenkins; 18. Charteris; 19. O'Brien; 20. Phillips; 21. Farrell; 22. Halfpenny
Feck sake Neil, half of them wouldnt get on DL's Ulster team on another thread :lol: :lol: :lol:
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

breakdown wrote:15. Kearney/Foden/Halfepenny - Kearney. RK and Foden are good counter attackers but Halfpenny adds the kicking option
14. Bowe/Cuthburt - Bowe is a better finisher but Cuthburt looks for more work and has more bulk. Bowe to start.
13. Tuilagi/Davies - Tuilagi to start. Shown how vital he is to England and a threat to any backline.
12. Roberts/Morrison - Both big guys but has to be Roberts for me. A big midfield is good.
11. North/Ashton - North. North is excellent, a real modern winger and lots of time to improve.
10. Sexton/Priestland- currently sexton would play but if Priestland gets his rwc form back its a tough one
9. Blair/Phillips - Phillips will play, real threat and a perfect mold for a modern 9. Blairs also been good.

8. Falatau/Morgan - Morgans been a revelation but Faletau has an awesome workrate so gets my pick.
7. Warburton/Robshaw - Both very good players but Warburton has more experience internationally.
6. Fez/Lydiate - Ferris by a mile.
5. POC/Gray - POC definitely. One of the most consistant players in Europe, always brings his all. Both good in the lineout
4. Chateris/Botha - Chateris had a brilliant world cup but both players do alot in the loose but LC gets my pick.
3. Cole/Jones - Cole will come round good again so gets my pick although Jones is very good backup.
2. Best/Hartley - Hartleys discipline will cost him so Best for me.
1. Healy/Jacobson - Healy is my first choice simply for his work rate and he improves with every game
Morrison
Ashton
Robshaw
Jacobson
Hartley

:scratch: :lol: :lol:
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Didnt really think much but on reflection Barrit/Farrell could be second choice 12
Yes I dont like Ashton either but he does run some good support lines and hopefully with a full season at Sarries he will improve.
It was a tough choice for Robshaw or Tiperic but Robshaw has more leadership qualities and has more experience.
Should be Jenkins ahead of Jacobson and Rees/Ford at back up hooker.
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

What about James Hook at 10?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I do not get Tuilagi. I think he is just a lump and wouldn't have him near a test team.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Not eligible now but one person who may well come into contention next year for the Lions (if I have my eligibility dates right) on the wing will be Tim Visser. Will be interesting to see if he can transfer his try scoring exploits at club level to international level, although to be fair even at this stage, he has done very well in a realtively modestly performing team.