Cricket season

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Cricket season

Post by big mervyn »

WhiteKnightoftheWeld wrote:does cricket not have it's own forum?
Sure, most of the shyte that gets talked in the back room has it's own forum. Plenty of other places to talk about golf, Man Ure and crap jokes I'd have thought.

Historically cricket and rugby have close ties -summer and winter games at many schools and often played under the auspices of the same club, Doakie being the the most famous recent exponent of both here.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Only Americans & philistines abhor cricket
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

I'm a fan.
Played at school and for a club as a teenager.
Watch a bit on TV, although not as much as when on GCSE home study.

Are CI as kno8-like in the cricketing world as they are in rugby circles?
Did they a number of years ago have craig mcmillan or some guy who went on to play for the Proteas or something? splash te cash around do they?
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

Well, i'm not involved in CIYMS club finances or admin but i can report that despite pints of Guinness being only £2.70 and membership fees not that pricey, there seems to be plenty of ££ around @ CIYMS. And as well as the rugby/tennis/hockey/cricket and squash the place is busy enough most evenings with other things like indoor bowling, bridge club and amateur drama etc etc. I'm only a Tennis member but i can report we now have the best "bubble" in Norn Iron covering 3 of our courts during the winter months. Due to come down around end of this month i believe.
That said i dont think (although i could be wrong) CIYMS (inc. Grosvenor rugby & hockey) currently excel at any particular sport or activity. But sure it's not the winning that counts, it's the participation - and drinking. And you can join just as a Drinking only member if you are so inclined.
Anyway that's enough PR for CIYMS and apologies for getting off topic.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
brianc
Warrior Assassin

Post by brianc »

I will be happy to join in cricket forum gannonman, wee bit surprised to see you here, not a great history of cricket in Dungannon? Agree with Baggy about those that hate cricket btw :D :D :D :D .

Pity that DL has gone, as I am sure it would be DK's fault if Ireland fail to make it to U20 world cup, would have been entertaining to see his fuzzylogic!!

Welder is right about CIYMS, complete kn*bs at cricket as well as rugby. Sold off a bit of land & use it to pay loads of players at both sports, with absolutely no benefit at rugby & some limited benefit at cricket. Really hope they dont do well this year, all it proves is that they have more money than other teams. Assuming CI mess up, I have no doubt that usual suspects such as Waringstown, North Down & Inst will be there at the end of the season. As for my own team, the mighty Holywood, assuming we can get loads of the Adair clan on the paddock then we have a decent chance in section 2. Cant wait!!

By the way, can't get interested in test cricket anymore :puker: :puker:
gannonman
Steward

Post by gannonman »

Agree CIYMS are the definition of buying success. The fact they nearly got relegated last year and now are one of the favourites for the league this year is just ridiculous. Many rugby players play cricket. Ian Whitten is a very handy medium pacer, Doak was good, Ian humph also has played. Michael Heaney and McKinney arn't bad either. Also many club players combine rugby and cricket for clubs. Off the top of my head I've seen Rory McCann play 10 for Instonians and Fisher for Ballymena.
When life gives you lemons - take them because hey... it's free lemons.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Don't recognise all this Tosh about CIYMS paying "lots of players" at Rugby or cricket. That just doesn't fit with my knowledge of the club.

The sale of the 3rd pitch a few years ago was used to finance the new clubhouse not to "buy success". Because of the structure of the club whith numerous sections (2 rugby clubs, 2 hockey clubs, cricket, tennis, squash, drama, bridge, athletics etc.) there is no way that the sale of land could be used to finance operational costs of a single section or even two - to my knowledge any of the proceeds of the land sale were used for facilities improvements.

After an excellent 2010/2011 season the Rugby club gained promotion to Qualy 1 for this season and has manged to stay up with a mid-table performance. If they have been paying loads of players then I guess they're paying the wrong ones. I believe the cricket section does have a major sponsor who finacned one or more of the Pro players that all Cricket clubs are allowed under the league rules.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
colind
Squire

Post by colind »

I'll second that Paul.

Just to add that the only things that CI Rugby & Cricket clubs have in common is the name and the home ground. Both are run as totally separate entities with regard to finance, management structure etc.
gannonman
Steward

Post by gannonman »

I wasn't talking about the rugby and cricket just to make that clear. Just the cricket. I know they are separate.
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

Good tennis courts at CI.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Ireland safely through to the World T20 finals then.

The Afghanistan match will decide whether or not we face Engerland in the Group stage. A win for Ireland will mean they avoid England.

Good side, the Afghans, btw
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
gannonman
Steward

Post by gannonman »

Last I heard big Merv they (Ireland) were set to win needing 47 from 42 balls and had 8 wickets in hand.
gannonman
Steward

Post by gannonman »

LastKnightoftheproms wrote:Think they won with 5 wickets to spare and now avoid Engerland. :cheers:
:salut: :salut: Thank you!
gannonman
Steward

Post by gannonman »

CIYMS making their intentions clear by signing Zimbabwe u19 player Pj Moor and with Butterworth having a local wife they have room for a professional. Waringstown sign South African all rounder Glen Addicott as new pro.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

pwrmoore wrote:Don't recognise all this Tosh about CIYMS paying "lots of players" at Rugby or cricket. That just doesn't fit with my knowledge of the club.

.......... I believe the cricket section does have a major sponsor who finacned one or more of the Pro players that all Cricket clubs are allowed under the league rules.
Cricket club is financed BIG TIME by one of its members - proprietor of Hughes Insurance Brokers.

Have spent silly money on trying to buy success in recent years without managing it yet. This year they seem to have gone even more nuts, bringing in players from North West and Leinster Cricket Unions, as well as recruiting from other Northern Cricket Union teams. They may (like all other local teams) only be recruiting one "foreign" professional, but there is some serious money being paid to recruit these local "amateurs" from around Ireland.

Nothing (transparently) against the NCU rules though, and if that's how they want to spend their money, there's plenty of players willing to take it.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right