Cricket season

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Cricket season

Post by Snipe Watson »

Hopefully the Aussies get gubbed by the Black Caps
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I’ve had a feeling for a while that England’s obsession with chasing would bite them on the Brennan at some point.

Despite meticulous planning and preparation in most respects, Morgan seemed to win a lot of tosses and invariably insert the opposition.

When the chips were down, Jordan, Rashid and Woakes didn’t execute their skills under pressure when it really mattered.

In saying that, the difference between winning and losing was probably down to Bairstow running out of room on the boundary.

The barest of margins, as they say.

Could obviously go either way on Sunday but it’s pretty clear that most of the decent blokes in NZ tend to opt for cricket. Good luck to them.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Always amazed me that the one nation can produce such lovable sporting folks like the cricket team ( winning or losing ) at the same time as a rugby team , who for all their skills and expertise, will nonchalantly turn to thuggery when under the cosh ( see BOD and the posts 're 71 Nz tour),
Let's hope they stuff the Aussies on Sunday

're today.........Never thought I would ever see Warner walk when he wasn't out! Damascus road conversion or what?!
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Bobbievee wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:21 am

're today.........Never thought I would ever see Warner walk when he wasn't out! Damascus road conversion or what?!
Thought that was an extraordinary lapse of judgement.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

A very bad day for cricket today with the Rafiq parliamentary enquiry. Yorkshire in dire straits and promoting the game to youngsters and families will be very difficult.

What happened was terrible and the way Yorkshire handled it shows what some of the influential people there thought about it.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Bart S wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:39 am A very bad day for cricket today with the Rafiq parliamentary enquiry. Yorkshire in dire straits and promoting the game to youngsters and families will be very difficult.

What happened was terrible and the way Yorkshire handled it shows what some of the influential people there thought about it.
I see where you're coming from, but I'd call it a great and important day for cricket and sport in general. This contagion needs to be dragged out into the light and dealt with, without fear or favour. "Passive sectarianism", which this type of supposedly banter based racism is, is an insidious and malign blight on society.
I applaud the things that sports are doing to spotlight racism, but there is too much pussyfooting around it.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

When England list 5-0 after winning the Ashes in 2005 it was against what was still a very good Aussie side with mcgrath, Warne, ponting etc and competed OK at times before throwing it away.

The batting in particular has been abject but I suppose no surprise given what they have done this year.

A bit like Jo schmidt saying the focus was on the 2019 world cup, Silverwood saying the build up over the past couple of years was around the Ashes in Australia makes things look even worse.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Snipe Watson wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:06 pm
Bart S wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:39 am A very bad day for cricket today with the Rafiq parliamentary enquiry. Yorkshire in dire straits and promoting the game to youngsters and families will be very difficult.

I see where you're coming from, but I'd call it a great and important day for cricket and sport in general. This contagion needs to be dragged out into the light and dealt with, without fear or favour. "Passive sectarianism", which this type of supposedly banter based racism is, is an insidious and malign blight on society.
I applaud the things that sports are doing to spotlight racism, but there is too much pussyfooting around it.
It says a lot about how easy it was in the past to be offensive without necessarily meaning to be, or indeed to have previous comments examined under a new light, when one day after you posted that, Rafiq himself had to apologise for anti-semitic messages sent to a fellow cricketer more than a decade earlier.

Let he who is without sin . . . etc etc. . . .

. . . but by that, I do not mean do nothing.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Dunno wot the world's coming to.

You can't even say "shower of useless pommie b@stards" without being labelled a racist :roll: :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Not so much racist but bigoted oh ye of doubtful parentage
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

big mervyn wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:23 pm Dunno wot the world's coming to.

You can't even say "shower of useless pommie b@stards" without being labelled a racist :roll: :lol:
I believe that's still regarded as a "term of endearment" in the Antipodes.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:01 am
big mervyn wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:23 pm Dunno wot the world's coming to.

I believe that's still regarded as a "term of endearment" in the Antipodes.
I don't want any endearment in my antipodes, thank-you very much. :shock:

but anyway, I suggest "xenophobe" might be a more accurate label applied, rather than racist or bigot, even if they are actually a "shower of useless pommie b@stards".
I'm not arguing -
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

20211230_083838.jpg
20211230_083838.jpg (136.08 KiB) Viewed 764 times
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dave wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:39 am 20211230_083838.jpg
Beat me to it.

Was just about to post the same image. :lol:
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Ireland win ODI series against the Windies in the Windies. :cheers:

Nearly blew it at the last as all the Dubliners decided to collapse like Englanders with victory in sight, but the Ulstermen got us over the line. :fleg:
I'm not arguing -