Refs for HEC Semis

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Husky
Novice

Refs for HEC Semis

Post by Husky »

http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/news/16536.php

We've got Poite again :cheers:

Poor Leinster. They've got Barnes, Owens and Pearson :puker: to contend with.
“I have as much authority as the Pope. I just don’t have as many people who believe it.”
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Refs for HEC Semis

Post by Cornerfleg »

No idea what to make of that ... Poite is usually an onion ... who if he has an idea what he wants to say soon gives up, but continues to ping sides for it anyway. On the other hand it's not Barnes, who struggles with the concept of raising the bar to being mediocre.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Poite has generally been good for Ulster (home win vs Leicester, QF win vs Munster) however I suspect he may have got a telling off for not penalising Afoa's tackle, so all players will need to be really careful about this.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Cornerfleg wrote:No idea what to make of that ... Poite is usually an onion ... who if he has an idea what he wants to say soon gives up, but continues to ping sides for it anyway. On the other hand it's not Barnes, who struggles with the concept of raising the bar to being mediocre.
Poite likes the game to flow though and is not overly fond of the whistle, players know how far he can be pushed so advantage Ulster
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

Very picky at the scrum though which will give Edinburgh a considerable advantage if we go with TC at Tighthead.
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

mikerob wrote:Poite has generally been good for Ulster (home win vs Leicester, QF win vs Munster) however I suspect he may have got a telling off for not penalising Afoa's tackle, so all players will need to be really careful about this.
I'd agree with this if the incident was something nefarious and done behind Poite's back but it was a tackle made right in front of him. If he got told off it was nothing of Ulster's doing so he should take it like a man. If he decides to watch Ulster more than Edinbra and ping us more then he's a sad sack. I can't see it happening, but he has shown in the past that if you keep chirping in his ear he'll do you no favours. My worries will be to do with how he referees the scrum if TC is in at THP.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

stickinout wrote:
mikerob wrote:Poite has generally been good for Ulster (home win vs Leicester, QF win vs Munster) however I suspect he may have got a telling off for not penalising Afoa's tackle, so all players will need to be really careful about this.
I'd agree with this if the incident was something nefarious and done behind Poite's back but it was a tackle made right in front of him. If he got told off it was nothing of Ulster's doing so he should take it like a man. If he decides to watch Ulster more than Edinbra and ping us more then he's a sad sack. I can't see it happening, but he has shown in the past that if you keep chirping in his ear he'll do you no favours. My worries will be to do with how he referees the scrum if TC is in at THP.
I certainly don't see him being biased against Ulster because of this... but if he has had a "gentle reminder" of the IRB/ERC memos on 10.4 J, then all players from both sides will need to watch themselves regarding this offence.
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

BuckRogers wrote:Very picky at the scrum though which will give Edinburgh a considerable advantage if we go with TC at Tighthead.
Agree with you, TC could hardly deal with Connachts 2nd choice LH and considering how picky Poite is at scrum time and the fact he generally penalises the disadvantaged pack I would think it is another case for Macklin to start unless TC really improves his scrummaging in the tight.

Apart from that, still failry happy with Poite being ref and I reckon that the game will be very fast flowing since Poite isnt overly whistle happy in running rugby but yes, also agree that after him missing Afoas tackle our players will need to be extra careful
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Poite could be bad, especially with the scrum. TC or whoever is playing front row will have to be very strong there or we're sunk. Probably will be kicking himself over the Afoa incident as well, we must be well disciplined.

Surprised Owens isn't reffing the other game. Wasn't Barnes supposed to be demoted? :scratch:
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Good omen getting Poite, when Munster last won the cup in 2008 Nigel did all three knock out matches. On current form Poite could well get the final, though with not getting either game, Nigel or Blind Dave will probably get the final, if Poite gets it it will be because Leinster rather than Clermont are there. If Clermont one of the other two.

Alain must be raging. :lol:

From Ulster's point of view, getting the same ref again helps, we should know how he refs. I'm happy.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
MACKTHEKNIFE
Initiate

Post by MACKTHEKNIFE »

G-Clancy.jpg
G-Clancy.jpg (18.32 KiB) Viewed 722 times
If its an Ulster- Leinster final then a MR G.Clancy MAR will be officiating, an neutral Irish Ref for an Irish Final.
Last edited by MACKTHEKNIFE on Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Standing Up for the Ulstermen on May 19th.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Listen you lot; as far as I'm concerned Poite was right, it was an accidental tip tackle and noone was hurt or even in danger of being hurt. The RFU need to distinguish a malicious spear tackle from an accidental tip. The scrum laws also need to go back to what they were; no hit or push until the balls in and straight put-ins please!!! No, i'm not a dinosaur! :D

t
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

ruckover wrote:Poite could be bad, especially with the scrum. TC or whoever is playing front row will have to be very strong there or we're sunk. Probably will be kicking himself over the Afoa incident as well, we must be well disciplined.

Surprised Owens isn't reffing the other game. Wasn't Barnes supposed to be demoted? :scratch:
Nonsense.....Poite is a top ref and we know his style. He’ll have moved on since the QF. I’m with Baggy this is a good selection for us. Johann is always appropriately deferent to refs and our best French friend will like that.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

MACKTHEKNIFE wrote:
G-Clancy.jpg
If its an Ulster- Leinster final then a MR G.Clancy MAR will be officiating, an neutral Irish Ref for an Irish Final.
Oh please no. Oh please, no! :banghead: :duh: :argue: ># :puker:
Snipe Watson wrote:
ruckover wrote:Poite could be bad, especially with the scrum. TC or whoever is playing front row will have to be very strong there or we're sunk. Probably will be kicking himself over the Afoa incident as well, we must be well disciplined.

Nonsense.....Poite is a top ref and we know his style. He’ll have moved on since the QF. I’m with Baggy this is a good selection for us. Johann is always appropriately deferent to refs and our best French friend will like that.
I agree that Poite is a top ref, I have always said that. But for this game he could be bad because of the way he refs the scrum. IMO it is the weakest point of his 'game' and due to the way he does ref it, our scrum could come under a lot of pressure next week.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
MACKTHEKNIFE
Initiate

Post by MACKTHEKNIFE »

blind dave.jpg
blind dave.jpg (5.29 KiB) Viewed 586 times
Standing Up for the Ulstermen on May 19th.