Ulstermen Playing Abroad

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

midulsterrugby
Novice

Ulstermen Playing Abroad

Post by midulsterrugby »

Tommy Bowe --- Winger --- Ospreys
Returns to Ulster for the 2012/13 season.

Roger Wilson --- No.8 --- Northanpton
Returns to Ulster for the 2012/13 season.

James Sandford --- 2nd Row --- London Irish--- 8 apps--- 5 as sub
Listed as an Academy player for Irish.

Sean Dougall --- Flanker --- Rotherham Titans
Signed for Munster next season.

Tommy Seymour --- Winger --- Glasgow Warriors

David Young --- Prop --- Leeds Carnegie --- 18 apps --- 9 as sub
Young prop, much travelled already. Having had stints at Leicester, Gloucester and Edinburgh.

David Bradford --- Flanker --- Doncaster Knights
Scored 3 tries in his first three games for Doncaster.

David McIlwaine --- Full Back --- Doncaster Knights
Signed for Bristol Rugby next season, will be playing in the Aviva Premiership.

Michael Heaney --- Scrum Half --- Doncaster Knights
Signed from Belfast Harlequins, 2nd choice at the minute.

David McGregor --- Hooker --- Plymouth Albion
Former Ballynahinch hooker, previously played for Rotherham Titans.

Mark McCrea --- Winger ---Connaught

TJ Anderson --- Flanker --- Connaught

Niall O'Connor --- Out Half --- Connaught

Ryan Caldwell --- 2nd Row --- Bath --- 29 apps

Neil Best --- Flanker --- Worcester Warriors --- 10 apps

Jamie Smith --- Full Back --- Newport Gwent Dragons

John Andress --- Prop --- Exeter Chiefs
Has signed a contract with Worcester Warriors for next season.

Apologies if i've left any out. Some decent young players gaining valuable game time across the water. Perhaps bring a few back in a year or two's time. What ya'll think?
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulstermen Playing Abroad

Post by Jackie Brown »

That Neil Best fella sounds interesting, worth a punt for our final backrow spot?
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
midulsterrugby
Novice

Post by midulsterrugby »

Stranger thing's have happened! By the way, I hear Rob Dewey is back on the market. Released by Glasgow, still only 28. :scratch:
Scranner
Warrior

Post by Scranner »

Heard that Neil Best was player/coaching at Worcester. And forby all the nonsense, in and on his day he was a cracking flanker.
STATE PRO VIRIS ULTONIAE
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Discovered from another thread that David Young is now NIQ having played for Scotland A I think.

Tommy Seymour also Scottish qualified, would be surprised if he doesnt pick up a cap or two to ensure he's 'captured'

Hard to believe Dewey is only 28 !

Think Barker is on the way back to the Weegies this time, and Faloon to Connacht

Whitten heading across the water to the Chiefs, think he'd be better served in Connacht myself in terms of keeping the Irish selectors eyes on him.

Neil Best's days as a 'cracking flanker' were all too short. He has egg on his face for slagging Ulster off following his move, and contrast the fortunes of he and UR now...
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I don't think Barker is leaving NI
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Hope thats correct Snipe and he stays with UR. A very useful squad man although we'll undoubtedly want to start blooding Henderson in the next year so his gametime may be even more infrequent
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

From all those listed, would only really like to see Seymore and McIlwaine back in the future, along with possibly Whitten.
Mary had a little lamb . . .
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

fuzzylogic wrote:From all those listed, would only really like to see Seymore and McIlwaine back in the future, along with possibly Whitten.

Seymour while decent and a good physical specimen is hardly likely to want to come and wait behind Trimble, Bowe & Gilroy to get an odd game during the 6Ns only to find out that Cochrane or Gaston has been selected ahead of him when he can stay in Scotland and possibly play in the 6N.

McIlwaine needs to prove himself in the AP if he is to be considered anywhere near a squad containing Payne, D'Arcy and competition from Nelson & Gaston

Unfortunatley for Whitten he lacks the creative spark offered by Wallace, Spence and hopefully Luke Marshall in due course.
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

Sean Dougall was an exile who was brought over to our academy so hard to describe him as an Ulster man.

Gareth Steenson isn't on that list. That list is only going to increase in years to come with young players wanting to prove themselves and having to move elsewhere.
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

by ColinM » Tue May 01, 2012 6:20 pm
fuzzylogic wrote:
From all those listed, would only really like to see Seymore and McIlwaine back in the future, along with possibly Whitten.

Seymour while decent and a good physical specimen is hardly likely to want to come and wait behind Trimble, Bowe & Gilroy to get an odd game during the 6Ns only to find out that Cochrane or Gaston has been selected ahead of him when he can stay in Scotland and possibly play in the 6N.

McIlwaine needs to prove himself in the AP if he is to be considered anywhere near a squad containing Payne, D'Arcy and competition from Nelson & Gaston

Unfortunatley for Whitten he lacks the creative spark offered by Wallace, Spence and hopefully Luke Marshall in due course.
Colin, I was totally in agreement with your post until the last line. The only thing Spence creates is the odd hole in the middle when he puts his head down. Whitten, while not looking as athletic does pretty much the same. Only difference is that we know Whitten can cover for us and do a decent job on the wing, Spence hasnt been given that shot much.

On McIlwaine, (maybe biased because I know him/have played with him/have seen him from a young age going up the ranks) but I would gladly take him back. I dont know much about Nelson so I cant comment, but I reckon he has more potential than Gaston and would give a totally different style of fullback than D'Arcy.

Seymore, always looked like an exciting prospect to me, was a little disappointed to see him leave to tell the truth. Again, dont know much about Cochrane so cant comment too much, but a squad really does need 4 good wingers and next season that will make Bowe, Trimble, Gilroy and I could easily see Seymore in that 4th spot.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

There you are being harsh on Spence again.

FFS, give it a rest, he has shown in recent weeks thats more than capable of making a break. If Nevin Spence made that pass that Cave did in the 2nd half that landed at Trimbles boots he'd have been hung, drawn and quartered. Wasted a nailed on try if Trimble drew his man.
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

by Big-al » Tue May 01, 2012 7:39 pm

FFS, give it a rest, he has shown in recent weeks thats more than capable of making a break. If Nevin Spence made that pass that Cave did in the 2nd half that landed at Trimbles boots he'd have been hung, drawn and quartered. Wasted a nailed on try if Trimble drew his man.
Ah yes al, your right. Silly me, sorry for having an opinion on a player. God forbid I dont agree with you :duh:

"Spence is a brad pitt player, absolute waste of space on the pitch, hands like feet. Has no right to be anywhere near the Ulster shirt. Possibly the worst player ever to play for us"

To above statement would be player bashing.

"I dont think Spence is that creative a player"

The above is an opinion.

Spot the difference Al? Good! Learn it!
Last edited by fuzzylogic on Tue May 01, 2012 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Jackie Brown wrote:That Neil Best fella sounds interesting, worth a punt for our final backrow spot?
Naughty naughty boy Jackie, both of you.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

fuzzylogic wrote:
by Big-al » Tue May 01, 2012 7:39 pm

Ah yes al, your right. Silly me, sorry for having an opinion on a player. God forbid I dont agree with you :duh:

"Spence is a brad pitt player, absolute waste of space on the pitch, hands like feet. Has no right to be anywhere near the Ulster shirt. Possibly the worst player ever to play for us"

To above statement would be player bashing.

"I dont think Spence is that creative a player"

The above is an opinion.

Spot the difference Al? Good! Learn it!
Since when was a linebreak not creating something? :duh: