More flegs and crap...

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

More flegs and crap...

Post by Snipe Watson »

shamalicious wrote:A couple of people asked my OH why he had the yella flag. Can't win even when you try to be neutral.
Yella fleg isn't neutral either. I thought the St Patrick's Saltire was neutral too. :roll: :roll: :roll:
MACKTHEKNIFE
Initiate

Re: Irish Times Letters to the Editor.

Post by MACKTHEKNIFE »

Snipe Watson wrote:
shamalicious wrote:A couple of people asked my OH why he had the yella flag. Can't win even when you try to be neutral.
Yella fleg isn't neutral either. I thought the St Patrick's Saltire was neutral too. :roll: :roll: :roll:
The Yellow Flag is the most neutral you can get, the Saltire is a key part of the "Apron".
It was actually the letter regarding the flags that caught my attention,
Standing Up for the Ulstermen on May 19th.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

I would say the UR flag is the most neutral one... does what it says on the tin, no arguments about colour schemes or inclusiveness but it will still cause offence somewhere :wink:
MACKTHEKNIFE
Initiate

Post by MACKTHEKNIFE »

Good point MR
Standing Up for the Ulstermen on May 19th.
Mummer
Novice

Post by Mummer »

mikerob wrote:I would say the UR flag is the most neutral one... does what it says on the tin, no arguments about colour schemes or inclusiveness but it will still cause offence somewhere :wink:
+1
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Mummer wrote:
mikerob wrote:I would say the UR flag is the most neutral one... does what it says on the tin, no arguments about colour schemes or inclusiveness but it will still cause offence somewhere :wink:
+1
+40,001
Any ejit, knows a decent UR fleg is the answer.....................
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Jackie Brown wrote:I was in Upper South East corner and all we could hear was ULSTER ULSTER ULSTER through the Edinburgh team announcement.
I was in West stand and that was all I heard as well, didn't even realise Edinburgh side were on the pitch till we realised match had started :shock:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

fermain wrote: Neither do i have a problem with whatever fleg people wave (unless a swastika) unlike the bloke in front of me, who needed to be told to calm down at the sight of a provincial yella fleg,
He looked like he needed a good dig in the snatter anyway.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

fermain wrote:Neither do i have a problem with whatever fleg people wave (unless a swastika)
T'is a shame really - the colours are perfect :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

FFS you've totally pre-empted my magnum opus for the FRU ># :lol:
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
moondance
Warrior Assassin

Post by moondance »

MACKTHEKNIFE wrote: The Yellow Flag is the most neutral you can get, the Saltire is a key part of the "Apron".
Firstly - I strongly object to your use of such an offensive term

Secondly - your use of the term puts you in some 'charming' company

Thirdly - the Cross of Saint Patrick is at least 500 years old, why, it even appears TWICE on the crest of that well known loyalist city CORK.
corkcitycouncil23.png
corkcitycouncil23.png (124.38 KiB) Viewed 1625 times
Oh hang on a minute - you are from Cork! :roll:
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

A History of Irish Flags from Earliest Times by G A Hayes-McCoy is the definitive tome on the subject if you want to read it.

He goes for 1601 at the Battle of kinsale as the earliest use. Personally I like the 1612 seal of TCD which features the saltire. The 1601 account does have some merit, but it’s too contrived and tied in with an old Spanish flag. the 1612 use is beyond challenge and as a bonus, 1612 also means that this is the 500th anniversary and I shall be carrying mine to Twickenham as a celebration of the momentous year and true Irishness.

I thankyou.........
Mummer
Novice

Post by Mummer »

Snipe Watson wrote:A History of Irish Flags from Earliest Times by G A Hayes-McCoy is the definitive tome on the subject if you want to read it.

He goes for 1601 at the Battle of kinsale as the earliest use. Personally I like the 1612 seal of TCD which features the saltire. The 1601 account does have some merit, but it’s too contrived and tied in with an old Spanish flag. the 1612 use is beyond challenge and as a bonus, 1612 also means that this is the 500th anniversary and I shall be carrying mine to Twickenham as a celebration of the momentous year and true Irishness.

I thankyou.........

Erm...you're a hundred years too soon Snipe!
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

Mummer wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:A History of Irish Flags from Earliest Times by G A Hayes-McCoy is the definitive tome on the subject if you want to read it.

I thankyou.........

Erm...you're a hundred years too soon Snipe!
Hard to argue with that, in fairness.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: indeed :duh: :duh: :paperbag:
400th
What's a hundred years between friends :D
I blame Moondance