UR and UK City of Culture

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

cables
Lord Chancellor

UR and UK City of Culture

Post by cables »

Draft Programme of Events:

An entry is also made in the document for August 11, 2013 where it says that Ulster Rugby will play a match in the city

http://www.londonderrysentinel.co.uk/sp ... -1-3819015
A pre-season game or an extra game?
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
bigchiefally
Initiate

Re: UR and UK City of Culture

Post by bigchiefally »

Ulster should play one proper, ie league, game there every year.
weeHughF
Novice

Post by weeHughF »

cables wrote:

An entry is also made in the document for August 11, 2013 where it says that Ulster Rugby will play a match in the city

August 11 is pre season son!
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

bigchiefally wrote:Ulster should play one proper, ie league, game there every year.
:salut:
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Big-al wrote:
bigchiefally wrote:Ulster should play one proper, ie league, game there every year.
Can any of you suggest where? You will want a good crowd say in excess of 5k, so what is your plan?
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

weeHughF wrote:
cables wrote:

Doubt if you are old enough to be my parent weeHughF.

I thought it would have been understood by everyone as referring to the pre-season games normally played at Ravenhill and therefore normally part of the ST package. Obviously I was wrong.
bigchiefally
Initiate

Post by bigchiefally »

Kofi Annan wrote:
Big-al wrote:
Can any of you suggest where? You will want a good crowd say in excess of 5k, so what is your plan?
Why not the Brandywell stadium?
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

What flegs can you fly in the Brandywell?

Presuming its the only place that could hold 5k, and hoping if that sort of capacity is involved it would be open and included in ST holders package. Would be a bit of a smack in the chops for a regulay ST holder from Co LDerry or Donegal to have to pay extra to go to a match thats been staged on their own doorstep
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Someone calling cables "son" has really made my day. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Kofi Annan on Wed May 09, 2012 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

BCA; technically, the pitch isn't big enough - the pitch at the Brandywell is exactly 100m long and, due to the shape of the playing surface because of the greyhound track, couldn't readily be extended. The corners of the football pitch sit on the extremity of the surface. Rugby requires a playing surface at least 120m, in principle - 100m of playing surface and two 10m in-goal areas. I am, of course, aware that Celtic Rugby have made exceptions to this rule (the surface at Firhill, for example, is 105m long and has both a shortened pitch surface and smaller in-goal areas).

5m may not seem much to split hairs about but a 90m long rugby pitch in the professional game seems a bit of a stretch, to me at least. Plus, it might be deemed unfair if we played there because Ruan could kick the penalties from the edge of his own 22...
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

by bigchiefally » Wed May 09, 2012 9:48 am

Ulster should play one proper, ie league, game there every year.
Why?!

Ravenhill is Ulster Rugbys home ground!
Mary had a little lamb . . .
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

ColinM wrote:Presuming its the only place that could hold 5k, and hoping if that sort of capacity is involved it would be open and included in ST holders package. Would be a bit of a smack in the chops for a regulay ST holder from Co LDerry or Donegal to have to pay extra to go to a match thats been staged on their own doorstep
The 2012/13 Season ticket Application Form states:
You can attend any pre-season friendly and Ulster Ravens games played at Ravenhill FREE OF CHARGE.

We are already familiar with the 'played at Ravenhill' in respect of Ravens matches. I have not been able (as yet) to check the full wording in previous years in respect of the pre-season games.

EDIT:
The wording last year was - "You have the opportunity to attend any pre-season friendly and Ulster Ravens games played at Ravenhill free of charge."

Essentially no change of intent.
Last edited by cables on Wed May 09, 2012 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

bca: Dont talk without knowing it saves you the embarrassment :duck:
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

weeHughF wrote:
cables wrote:

FFS wee shug, I'll have you know that Cables should under no circumstances be known as "son" :shock: , he is a much venerated member of this forum and is universally shown respect - with the exception of a bit of nose-tweaking from Welder (where has he gone now? Tell be you haven't banned him mods?). Then you come along :roll: For shame sir, if manners maketh man, where are yours?

That is a post we would expect from Big Shug. :puker:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Seamus
Novice

Post by Seamus »

cables wrote:
ColinM wrote:Presuming its the only place that could hold 5k, and hoping if that sort of capacity is involved it would be open and included in ST holders package. Would be a bit of a smack in the chops for a regulay ST holder from Co LDerry or Donegal to have to pay extra to go to a match thats been staged on their own doorstep
The 2012/13 Season ticket Application Form states:
You can attend any pre-season friendly and Ulster Ravens games played at Ravenhill FREE OF CHARGE.

We are already familiar with the 'played at Ravenhill' in respect of Ravens matches. I have not been able (as yet) to check the full wording in previous years in respect of the pre-season games.

EDIT:
The wording last year was - "You have the opportunity to attend any pre-season friendly and Ulster Ravens games played at Ravenhill free of charge."

Essentially no change of intent.
As the match would be part of the 2013/'14 season a tweak to the wording could well feature for that season's season ticket application/renewal if there is going to be a match in Derry