Thanks for the memories Danzer

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Ringer
Novice

Post by Ringer »

The try against stade in Dec 10 stands out for me but there were many fine performances . Also recall him scoring a cracking try out in Bourgoin not long after he joined

Simon Danielli To Retire From Rugby
10 May 2012, 11:45 amBy Lyndsey Irwin

Ulster Rugby today confirmed that Simon Danielli has decided to retire from rugby due to a back injury which has plagued the winger throughout this last season..
Simon joined Ulster at the start of the 2007/08 season from The Borders and has subsequently been capped 78 times by Ulster, scoring 26 tries.
Born in Edinburgh and educated at Cheltenham College and Oxford University where he studied Philosophy and Theology, Simon played in two victorious ‘blues’ matches

From Oxford he signed a full-time contract with Bath and within 2 years had made his full International debut for Scotland against Italy in 2003, ahead of the start of the World Cup. He has gone on to be capped 32 times by his country, playing in two World Cups and scoring 8 tries.

“Having been advised that I am no longer able to achieve the level of fitness required to play professional rugby, It is with great sadness that I announce my retirement from the game.”Simon commented

“I feel privileged to have been playing for over a decade and have thoroughly enjoyed my time as a professional rugby player, particularly my last five years here at Ulster”

“I would like to thank everyone who has helped me throughout my time here, to all the players, coaches, other members of staff and not least the fantastic supporters at Ulster that rival anywhere else in Europe, creating an atmosphere that has given me many special lifelong memories”

“I wish the boys the very best of luck for the biggest of games next week and long into the future, the club is well on the path to becoming a leading force in European rugby and I will be in the stands cheering them towards this for years to come”
Mummer
Novice

Re: Thanks for the memories Danzer

Post by Mummer »

:salut: :salut: :salut:
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Seems everyone is retiring with career ending injuries these day. Extra bit of cash for a couple of years with insurance.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Happy retirement Simon ... Gave of his best when we really needed it through some dark days. Hope he is regularly seen back at the Hill waving his fleg.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

kingofthehill wrote:Seems everyone is retiring with career ending injuries these day. Extra bit of cash for a couple of years with insurance.
Voice of experience King or is your nose firmly to the grindstone? :wink:

Happy retirement big Si. I was there when he cruised in over in Bourgoin, he was a glider, didn't have the all action running style but he covered the ground pretty quickly, shame about the way it finished but another of our good buy ins & glad to hear he will be joining the supporters :red: . :salut:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Bets of luck Simon, at times Andrew Trimble and your goodself carried the Ulster team through games with some outstanding finishes.
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

A good player for Ulster. For a few seasons he was the only back who looked threatening.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

I remember his face when he scored against Duffy ... Gavin in full Dayglow traffic directing outfit waved him though - priceless.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
petey11
Novice

Post by petey11 »

Cornerfleg wrote:I remember his face when he scored against Duffy ... Gavin in full Dayglow traffic directing outfit waved him though - priceless.
:) I remember that one so well and the Setanta commentary claiming that it would have been better for Connacht if they had fielded the Welsh singer Duffy :)

Thanks Si for all the great memories and for all your fine efforts.
I always rated the fella very highly despite the rantings of others and it's a great shame we won't see him play again.

Good luck and remember, once an Ulsterman always an Ulsterman!!!!!
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

petey11 wrote: Good luck and remember, once an Ulsterman always an Ulsterman!!!!!

Unless of course you are Andy Kershaw or Paul Emerick ...
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

When he was fit and going well he was a great finisher, :red: :salut: some cracking trys on the video page
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheUAFC/vid ... y=danielli
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
mea97mb
Squire

Post by mea97mb »

I'd like to reiterate other comments on here and say thanks to Simon for the last 5 years. Always thought he made the difference in the big games.

On another note it would nice to get some good news on the UR front, its all just about people leaving/retiring lately!!
oneshot7
Novice

Post by oneshot7 »

A couple of performances against Bath a few years ago stand out for me;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKnURgIJ2Qs

Great servant for UR, shame we haven't seen much of him in the last while for a number of reasons, was great while he was here, hope he enjoys well deserved retirement. :salut:
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

Rooster wrote:When he was fit and going well he was a great finisher, :red: :salut: some cracking trys on the video page
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheUAFC/vid ... y=danielli
On his day, he was great for Ulster - some really smashing tries. It's just a shame he was so plagued by injury.

He was also a fine sight to many a lady standing out on his wing at the Aquinas end, he shall certainly be missed in that respect, I've said too much :oops: :lol:

Best of luck Simon, now get to work on getting that Ulster born little fella of yours ready for a few years time :wink: :salut: :salut:
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Thanks Si. Great player when he joined and I'm sure he will be missed around the grounds, always gave his all, unfortunately he has lost a lot of pace but his game against Saints in the QF stands out, fantastic game for him that day.
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg