Backrow bench cover.

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

colwynvet
Novice

Backrow bench cover.

Post by colwynvet »

Now that Robbie Diack is injured who do you think should get his spot on the bench?

Willie (obvious cover for Chris, who's maybe not 100% fit) or Iain Henderson (or both if we don't waste a bench spot on Ihumph)?

Imagine the scene, 5 minutes to go. Pedrie, having run himself into the ground taking many Mexicans with him, is withdrawn from the fray to a standing ovation. Big Iain comes on. Next short lineout on halfway. Iain takes the ball in midfield (after a dummy run from 1F) and runs over D'arcy, leaves Bod clutching at shadows and then outpaces the "cream" of European rugby to score between the posts as they all scratch their heads wondering WTF was that!

I can't wait! Getting excited now! :cheers:
You don't know! You weren't there!
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Re: Backrow bench cover.

Post by Neil F »

Henderson would be the 'left-field' call but I wonder how he could offer less than Faloon has offered in his recent outings? Whilst this scenario of Henderson coming on with plenty of youthful energy, no fear and a pair of fresh legs with ten to go is a nice though, I think there is the conservative side of me, and I'm sure other posters as well, that thinks that Henry and Wannenburg have been injured recently and Ferris is never a guarantee to make it through the 80 and that if one of those goes down 10 minutes in, then Henderson might not be the best option there. Tough call but I'm actually siding with the thought of Henderson at the moment. Faloon really hasn't been at the races recently.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Has to be Willie, given the three on the pitch can cover 6/8
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Using Henderson is just asking for a rabbit in headlights moment. If we are talking about the last 5, I'd move Dan back to 6 and shift 1F over to 7.
Bring Humph On!!
Squire

Post by Bring Humph On!! »

For me it highlights the need for more back row recruitment for next year. For me, I'd go with (not so) mad willie and the option of moving dan back if needs be.
"But going forward, at Ulster Rugby, one thing will never change. As long as this great club exists, the person and the player, Nevin Spence, will never be forgotten."

IF!!! ..... I CAN DO NOTHING WITH IF!!
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Or else we could bring another second row instead, McComb for instance who can cover lock and back row
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Willie and Lewis
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

Snipe Watson wrote:Using Henderson is just asking for a rabbit in headlights moment. If we are talking about the last 5, I'd move Dan back to 6 and shift 1F over to 7.
It'll be interesting to see the first couple of scrums on Saturday. During the semi-final we saw Ferris playing right side of the scrum and Willie playing left. This could have been for a couple of reasons - Deccie was playing 3 and Stevie's shove may have been used to keep the tight-head side sweet, with big Tom doing the loose-head shift with the weaker Faloon flanking. Or it could have been that Willie is weak scrummaging off his left shoulder.
That said, the "7" position tends to be denoted by much more than a number on your back, and which side you scrummage on. But in any case Id really rather not have to have Ferris as our "first to the ruck" man, I'd rather have him as our "first to run over Sean O'Brien" man. Not to say Stevie isn't awesome in the ruck, he is, but utilisation of best abilities and all.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

I think being first to the ruck man is what has kept 1F on the pitch for a whole season injury free(ish). It may be what he needs to do to prolong his career, but this is a Heineken Cup final and a couple of bullockign runs from the big man may be needed as a statement of intent.
bigchiefally
Initiate

Post by bigchiefally »

Stevenson and Henderson.

Falloon has been really poor of late. Just so disappointing.

Pity Diack is out.
firebell53
Novice

Post by firebell53 »

has to be willie and lewis. hendersons day will come but not in the final. lambs to the slaughter etc.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

We need to have another 7 on the bench as key contest area will be the breakdown and we have to deny Leinster quick ball, to have any chance, by being a nuisance at the ruck and also by knocking them back in the tackle. Henry is only back from injury and needs to be covered. Willie or Birch, but not Henderson, he wouldn't have the guile just yet.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

McComish
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Snipe Watson wrote:Using Henderson is just asking for a rabbit in headlights moment. If we are talking about the last 5, I'd move Dan back to 6 and shift 1F over to 7.
Agree with this, and bring in Lewis at 5. If we're going for a 7, rather have BIrchy or Henderson than Mad Willie atm
Exterminate all rational thought
Ted
Novice

Post by Ted »

Willie despite dip in form still our best option imho.