What are you watching?

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: What are you watching?

Post by justinr73 »

That’s true but the bar is set so low this side of the Atlantic.

Casualty v ER for example.

Even Doc Martin, a show which I enjoy, is not on the same planet as the show upon which it is based - the brilliant Northern Exposure.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

The publicly funded BBC would struggle to match the likes of HBO for budget size. I'm not sure how american audiences would manage without the 'and previously on...bla bla bla'.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

I didn't think Marcella was as bad as some say on here. True, plot pretty implausible, and some weird Belfast accents ( even from local actors? E.g. The Pr/press lady?) But a good insight into the mental challenges faced by deep undercover poluce. If you want an insight into their real world, try the aptly named book by a local guy "Undercover Cop" by Paddy Craig ( not his real name!) Chronicling his work mostly in England and the continent chasing drug importers. These undercover people obviously get very little recogitiion and reward for their efforts on behalf
of society
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

The ‘shoot-out’ at the end was the least convincing and most cringeworthy in TV history.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

No argument there!!
colind
Squire

Post by colind »

justinr73 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:28 pm The ‘shoot-out’ at the end was the least convincing and most cringeworthy in TV history.
It was very Benny Hill.

I was expecting half a dozen sexy nurses or French maids to run across the gardens chased by a wee baldy bloke.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

justinr73 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:42 am That’s true but the bar is set so low this side of the Atlantic.

Even Doc Martin, a show which I enjoy, is not on the same planet as the show upon which it is based - the brilliant Northern Exposure.
Nonsense some of the best TV has come from this side of the atlantic. The Yanks produce more than their fair share of dross.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Took me to half way through the second episode of bloodlands to figure out jock from the young offenders manged to turn his life around and get a decent job.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Snipe Watson wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:35 pm
justinr73 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:42 am That’s true but the bar is set so low this side of the Atlantic.

Nonsense some of the best TV has come from this side of the atlantic. The Yanks produce more than their fair share of dross.
Of course but you’ve got to know where to look.

You’d take Juliet Bravo over Hill Street Blues or NYPD Blue would you?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

justinr73 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:39 am

Hill Street Blues was legendary. Didn't watch the others.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

I'd take The Sweeney over any of them ... you slag.

My own observation is that, while Snipe has a point, the quality of US tele has improved somewhat in recent years whilst British tele has got somewhat worse. Satellite TV and an exponential increase of channels has diluted the quality of UK output but the like of HBO in the US has given their stuff an edge which it previously lacked.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Man in Room 301 on BBC 4 was OK, but no better than that.

Think the writer was a Brit with her work being translated/adapted into Finnish.
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

I've really enjoyed 3 series of By the Lake on All 4. French cop show starting with Vanished by the Lake, then Killer by the Lake and the final series Fear by the Lake. I know a lot of folk couldn't be bothered with reading subtitles but there is a treasure trove of good foreign tv available these days.
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
armalig
Novice

Post by armalig »

Really Enjoyed the Murray Walker tribute on bbc /iplayer.
Very insightful & times laugh out loud and others wipe eye moments ..
Legend of a man
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

big mervyn wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:52 am

I'd take The Sweeney over any of them ... you slag.

My own observation is that, while Snipe has a point, the quality of US tele has improved somewhat in recent years whilst British tele has got somewhat worse. Satellite TV and an exponential increase of channels has diluted the quality of UK output but the like of HBO in the US has given their stuff an edge which it previously lacked.
Life on Mars and Ashes to ashes.