Big Merv's furrin fillum thread :)

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Big Merv's furrin fillum thread :)

Post by darkside lightside »

big mervyn wrote:I'm also partial to european fillums - Almodóvar for example but that probably merits another thread.
I live to serve :D

can I kick off with Time Crimes (Los cronocrimenes) a stonking Spanish time-travel whatsit! (a good double bill would be with Primer, which is another class time travel flick - although it's a bit of a head-messer, and you have to pause it quite a few times, to go through in your head what's going on!)
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Big Merv's furrin fillum thread :)

Post by big mervyn »

Thankyou DL.

What Have I Done to Deserve This? ( ¿Qué he hecho yo para merecer esto?) is my favourite Almodóvar flick - a kitchen sink surreal comedy set in post Franco Spain. Low on budget - big on laffs. As good or better than his more celebrated later efforts imo.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Pretty well everything by Almodóvar is very watchable but some favourite foreign films are the coming-of-age Mexican film Y Tu Mamá También and another Mexican film Amores Perros which is 3 different stories all connecting with each other.

The two French gangster films about the real life criminal Mesrine are really good (Killer Instinct and Public Enemy Number one)

Probably my favourite foreign film of recent times is the Argentinian film The Motorcycle Diaries (rugby link: it shows a scene of the young Che Guevara playing rugby.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

If you enjoy extreme and nasty stuff then A Serbian Film is just the ticket. Be advised though if you have a weak stomach you could be in trouble watching this one.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Shan wrote:If you enjoy extreme and nasty stuff then A Serbian Film is just the ticket. Be advised though if you have a weak stomach you could be in trouble watching this one.
That is one real sick film :puker:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

mikerob wrote:Pretty well everything by Almodóvar is very watchable but some favourite foreign films are the coming-of-age Mexican film Y Tu Mamá También and another Mexican film Amores Perros which is 3 different stories all connecting with each other.
Couple of excellent ones there.

Goodbye Lenin is a very good wee German fillum and Pan's Labyrinth is fantastic.

...and anything with Audrey Tatou in it.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
monkee
Novice

Post by monkee »

Some top class foreign movies:

The Secret in Their Eyes - best film I've watched in manys a year.

The Vanishing (original) is a classic

Julia's Eyes is also very good
monkee
Novice

Post by monkee »

Can't forget Funny Games (original again) - superb
monkee
Novice

Post by monkee »

The Beat That My Heart Skipped

Nightwatch & Daywatch (Russian)

Three Colours Trilogy

Festen

The Green Butchers

Nightwatch (danish version)

The Consequences of Love

Sorry, I'll stop now...
AyeYerMa
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by AyeYerMa »

Funny Games
La Haine
La Vie En Rose
La Vita Y Bella
La Vie Rêvée Des Anges
Der Untergang
Amelie
Batoru Rowaiaru
Rec
Idi I Smotri
Stalker
9 Rota
I came for my woman, he came with a razor blade,
Bound like us all for the ocean
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

Amélie
Les Choristes
A Very Long Engagement
Amores Perros
Downfall
Metropolis
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

The original versions of The Millenium Trilogy, The girl with the Dragon Tattoo etc.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

big mervyn wrote:What Have I Done to Deserve This? ( ¿Qué he hecho yo para merecer esto?) is my favourite Almodóvar flick - a kitchen sink surreal comedy set in post Franco Spain. Low on budget - big on laffs. As good or better than his more celebrated later efforts imo.
sounds interesting, I have actually watched little by Almodóvar - did you see The Skin I Live In? How did you think it measured up? I thought it was ok - but some critics completely wet themselves about it, I didn't think it was that special... The one you mention sounds interesting, must check it out...

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

big mervyn wrote:
mikerob wrote:Pretty well everything by Almodóvar is very watchable but some favourite foreign films are the coming-of-age Mexican film Y Tu Mamá También and another Mexican film Amores Perros which is 3 different stories all connecting with each other.
Couple of excellent ones there.

Goodbye Lenin is a very good wee German fillum and Pan's Labyrinth is fantastic.
In the last while I have seen a ton of Latin American films which I have loved - as well as the ones above, Carancho (about a slightly dodgy lawyer type who acts as an intermediary in car accident lawsuits, who gets tangled up with a chick and some bad guys and what have you) and Las Acacias (about a guy who gives a lady and her baby a lift in his lorry from Paraguay to Buenos Aires - that's it! But it's brilliant) were released last year. Going back a bit there's a class Argie conman flick called 'Nueve Reinas' (Nine Queens) - stars Ricardo Darin (the same guy as in Carancho, and the Secret in their Eyes - he's a brilliant actor, bit of an Argentinian stalwart, reminds me a little of Daniel Auteuil), it's good crack..

del Toro is another South American (Mexican) - Pan's Labyrinth is awesome, if you like Spanish, it's worth watching for the voiceover alone, I could listen to it all day! The Devil's Backbone is pretty good too - and the Orphanage (which he produced, a young Spanish director directed) is probably the scariest and most tense film I've ever watched in the cinema..
big mervyn wrote:...and anything with Audrey Tatou in it
I have a bit of a soft spot for her, check out "A la folie, pas du tout" (He loves me, he loves me not I think it was in English) it's kind of Amelie's twisted sister!

darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

just watched a Norwegian flick 'Headhunters', pretty good stuff! Maybe I'm seeing ghosts, because I'm now of a certain age - but if anyone else has seen this, do you think the director was evoking/hat-tipping a load of '90s films? I flagged Thomas Crown Affair at the start (Brosnan remake), Trainspotting, Heat, Twelve Monkeys, I'm sure there were more...