Should I attend an Ulster game?

Questions for the players, the management, the UAFC, the URSC or other supporters... Someone might answer you!! (and pigs might fly)

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Should I attend an Ulster game?

Post by Snipe Watson »

Rooster wrote:Settle down or the lad will think you are all nuts and decide to stay at home !
It's better that he knows now, before he arrives and the whole thing is a total shock.

I thought this was your house...........
Monaghanulster
Novice

Post by Monaghanulster »

Some pair of tools :lol: That's one snazzy hen house.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Your bona fides appear to be crumbling somewhat Mona..................
tazman
Novice

Post by tazman »

I've been going to Ulster games for 3 or so years, since I moved to Belfast. I'm a Cavan man, and proud Ulster fan, and have never had a problem at Ravenhill. I'm gonna be bringing a Donegal man with me to the Connacht game on Friday for his first game. He can't wait, he's already picked up an Ulster jersey today . I've noticed a definite change in attitudes (for the better) to Ulster rugby in the 3 counties over the last number of years, more jerseys can now be spotted in Cavan lately and lots more supporting during games. Come on down to Ravenhill, it's never uncomfortable, we're all in this together
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Are you coming up for tonight's game Monaghan...is Kofi treating you?

If you are have a good one and don't let them oul flegs annoy you!
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
Monaghanulster
Novice

Post by Monaghanulster »

I'm not going to be at the game tonight but I'll be glued to BBC 2 at 7pm.

Good to hear Tazman.
TheElephantMan
Steward

Post by TheElephantMan »

tazman wrote:I . I've noticed a definite change in attitudes (for the better) to Ulster rugby in the 3 counties over the last number of years, more jerseys can now be spotted in Cavan lately and lots more supporting during games. Come on down to Ravenhill, it's never uncomfortable, we're all in this together
Tazman what was the attitude about UR like then,please explain.
tazman
Novice

Post by tazman »

It wasn't too good to be honest TheElephantMan. Was more indifference that anything else (Doesn't help that rugby is just not that big in Cavan). I suppose a lot of people in Cavan maybe seen Ulster as the 6 counties but I've seen that changing over the years now. I used to see people in Leinster and Munster jerseys and some travelling down to watch these teams. There are definitely more Ulster shirts seen on a weekend and not as many for the others.
Cavanman
Novice

Post by Cavanman »

Just came across this thread and am somewhat perplexed, it always been Ulster for me no.1, Cavan and Monaghan just isn't Rugby country but that could change easily.There is plenty of men in these counties that could pack down for Ulster in future years and I believe there is definitely an awakening occurring in these areas. Would seriously doubt the authenticity of the OP.Just seems very naive too. I take a lot of pride in the fact that the sport is a source of harmony between the communities in Ulster.
macca82
Novice

Post by macca82 »

Glad I found this thread cause it was a question I've been asking myself too. I've been following Ulster since I was a kid cause my family are from Ulster, but I grew-up on the U.K mainland. Firstly, I was never sure if I would have seemed out of place in the stands shouting with my English accent, and secondly my Mum always told me not to go (She's a Northern Irish catholic) as she'd seen the crown flag being flown in the stands. She was under the impression that if someone had heard my accent they would be intrigued as to why I supported Ulster, and then if I explained where my family were from (which would be a giveaway as to their religion), It might invite trouble.

After reading this thread I know now her paranoia is unjustified. I think I'll come to a few matches now instead of watching in front of the T.V in my jersey, screaming at the T.V! I'll set her strait too, maybe get her over for a match with me.

Must admit, it's seems really strange (from an outsiders perspective) that the crown flag is used as it only encompasses the 6 counties. Don't mean that in a derogatory way, I now how proud Ulster Brits are. It's just that as it's a provincial team, it seems more appropriate to use the yellow and red flag.

Think if I come I'll not bring a flag with me. Seems safer!

Anyway, it's been great following Ulster this season, specially in the Pro12. Was gutted about getting knocked-out of the H cup, but the highlight had to be the Leinster win. I actually lost my voice watching it!

Cheers guys. Hope to see you seen at Ravenhill. You'll know me from my accent!
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

We won't know you from your accent, plenty of accents from everywhere. including Ballymena.

The nice thing about Ulster is it doesn't matter what flag you're waving as long as you're supporting Ulster!
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

I was standing beside a lady with an English accent who was guldering all sorts of abuse in support of Ulster.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Plenty of English voiced supporters at Ravenhill
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

The crown fleg is also the team colours ...

#justsaying
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Russ wrote:The crown fleg is also the team colours ...

#justsaying
So is the fleg of NazI Germany.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall