Top of the league + a game in hand?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Top of the league + a game in hand?

Post by BR »

Scarlets lost and it looks like Munster are about to. We're a point clear with a game in hand :cheers:
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Top of the league + a game in hand?

Post by Snipe Watson »

BR wrote:Scarlets lost and it looks like Munster are about to. We're a point clear with a game in hand :cheers:
It's a thing of rare beauty BR :cheers: :cheers:
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

I know it's early days but there's no denying it - we're in a fantastic position. Leading up to Europe it's even better.

5 points against Connacht next weekend would be the icing on the cake for me.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

This time last year we lost 4 games in a row in the league I think after having a good start,I don't believe that history is going to repeat itself but we should just take one game at a time.
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
Scranner
Warrior

Post by Scranner »

Not to mention that our game in hand is against Zebre. It's a good feeling!!
STATE PRO VIRIS ULTONIAE
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

LastKnightoftheproms wrote:
BR wrote:Scarlets lost and it looks like Munster are about to. We're a point clear with a game in hand :cheers:
Just watched RTE Munster v ospreys and "highlights" of the other two provincial matches. Phrases such as "briefly, what about Ulster?" and also build up to the big one next week,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ring in with the correct answer and win tickets and 500 yoyos spending money to watch,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Leinster v Munster. :roll:

21/12/12. Even the date has 1st and 2nd in it. :wink:
It's a plot I tell ye. RTE ignoring Ulster hoping we will lose................
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

There ye go with the negativity again...................
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

So ye did.....
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Scarlets (A) - Week before the Heineken double header so we'll have our full team out. Winnable.
Leinster (H) - Don't think they'll send up a full strength side, but we will since we'll rest players the week after. Winnable.
Munster (A) - Think the sacrificial lambs will travel down, so I wouldn't hold out much hope. Should make a good game of it though.

I'd say 9 points from those 3 games isn't unreasonable.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Sorry, forgot one:

Scarlets (H) - Again, week before Heineken, full team out. Winnable.

That's 13pts from 4 games. Perfectly reasonable.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

We've also just jumped above Munster to become the bookies' 2nd favourites to win the Rabo Grand Final. Heady days indeed.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

LastKnightoftheproms wrote: I also think we don't have sacrificial lambs to send to Munster. Now, we have Ulstermen. :red:
Agree with this. Yes there are still areas where we are vulnerable but with
the whole squad depth and strength that the :cowboy: has brought and developed
thus far it has been, I have to say, a been a bit of an eye opener!
Image Image
If You Have To Ask....You Don't Understand
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

I just want to urge caution - let's not get ahead of ourselves folks. We're only 4 games in, emotions are running high etc. etc.

Even before JP's try last night I could feel myself thinking about what this game and the inevitable result could mean for the rest of the season and then I caught myself on. I don't want us getting an air of arrogance about us that makes us the same as some of our (albeit deluded at times) rivals.

For me it's Leinster that we have to get something from, I don't care what, where or how but that is the standard we should be aiming for (regardless of their wee blip in Galway yesterday).

Let's take things one game at a time yeah?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

From memory, our wins were v current 3rd, 4th, 5th and 8th, and ashas been said our game-in-hand is v 12th. Our points diff is also best in league.

However Connacht looked great last night, really stuck the knife in Leinster; we probably should have been 10-0 down after 5 minutes last night, where the game may have panned out differently, so caution is the watch-word. I'll be more than happy with a 4 point win next week.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Wee Woman wrote:I just want to urge caution - let's not get ahead of ourselves folks. We're only 4 games in, emotions are running high etc. etc.

Even before JP's try last night I could feel myself thinking about what this game and the inevitable result could mean for the rest of the season and then I caught myself on. I don't want us getting an air of arrogance about us that makes us the same as some of our (albeit deluded at times) rivals.

Ach Wee Woman, we want to look up the road to glory & you want caution :wink: I'll have none of it, ya hear? :lol:

Thing is not simply our current position but don't forget that we have played two won two in Wales where in the last couple of seasons we have struggled more often than not. By a strange quirk of the fixture list we will have played all 4 away games in Wales by 2nd December. If we are unbeaten at that stage there will be a really great omen, when we won the Magners we won all 4 in Wales. EDIT: Damn just remembered, we drew with Scaaaaaaalets, I was there.

In all honesty this season is very very different. Forget what some fool might say about losing 4 in a row last year, that mindless nonsense ignores the fact that last year we had 11, I think, at the RWC so its an irrelevant comparison. What is so different this year is that we have yet to play what most would consider "our best team", indeed we still have 3 top class players to return before long - the 3 Rs - Roger Rory & Ruan. Even better we have seamlessly shifted our squad around and we now know that we have a real squad who if they are needed we know they are up to the mark - think poor young Allen who I hope is not as badly hurt as he looked.

Then you have other chubish suggestions that we will send a rag tag & bobtail team to Thomond, not going to happen because Maaaak is using his squad, players are playing in strong teams & not thrown out en masse to sink or swim. I don't see it in Maaaaaaaaaaaak's make up to throw a game - hope I'm not wrong. Last year I understood it and in reality it worked but I hated young players going out as sacrificial lambs.

Look at our "squad" players - McComb for example. A man never touted as much more than a make-weight but last night he made his weight count alright as he shoved Tom Court deep down the Caaaaadiff TH's neck & lets not forget the good hands he showed to send Tommy in & also his sublime pass in teh build up to teh winner at Chavspreys. He got his start and made the most of it, do you think he'll doubt himself next time the call comes? No chance.

Anyone care to suggest that the Mike McComish who struggled to have any impact last year is the same guy who has performed well each time he's been called upon this season? These guys are getting games & getting confidence that they have a role to play.

This boys & girls is very different. I'm excited. :red:
Last edited by BaggyTrousers on Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.