SCHOOLS CUP 2013

ny and all to do with skules

Moderator: Moderators

weejack48
Novice

Re: SCHOOLS CUP 2013

Post by weejack48 »

Derry Academy was just another school based in stroke city - I believe it was more properly referred to as Londonderry Academical Institution and it amalgamated through the Foyle College Act 1896 retaining the latters name. (It was only through another Act of Parliament in 1976 that it gained the "& Londonderry" bit when it merged with Londonderry HS, and in 2012 started to style themselves as Foyle College again, although their legal name remains "Foyle and Londonderry College" - I believe a legal name change would require another Act of Parliament).

The Connacht Schools' Cup did not start until 1913 or there abouts. In the first 20 or 30 years of the Ulster Cup the likes of Sligo GS, Galway GS and one or two others from outside Ulster also entered, I seem to remember a couple of Leinster schools even entered at one stage.
weejack48
Novice

Post by weejack48 »

On the 1911 thing, further to my (quick) response last year. The roots of the argument actually came from 1910 when Portora were thrown out of the cup at the semi-final stage for refusing to travel to Belfast to play CCB. The problem was never sorted out and consequently resurfaced the following year and some of the correspondence in the press was quite "strong" considering the times. The Headmasters got into quite the slanging match.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

On the subject of Schools Cup History, is there any word on Davy Wells' long awaited tome on the subject?

Maybe he needs to Try Harder?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Hopefully the end of this month....have it pre ordered since last year. David Wells..gentleman and legend.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Probably waiting to amend the stats.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Was at school with him and his girl-friend!! :oops:
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
RuPi
Initiate

Post by RuPi »

Impressive second half performance by MCB, inst defended well but MCB dominated the breakdown and used the choke tackle very effectively. A few errors by MCB in the first half which was unlike them, thought Campbell and Gallagher both performed well whilst Conor Kelly looked useful, I am guessing he has at least another year left?
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Think Kelly is only 5th form but I'm not sure.

MCB have a handful of good players, im sure its a smaller list to name players that are average, but I thought the 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14 all looked good. Not taking credit away from Inst they were good but have less game changers than MCB, they seemed to fall apart when their captain went off. Disappointing performance from Rory Bell and Rory Campbell but I thought both their second rows were good, especially Magee, made a fair few tackles and was like a back row at the breakdown.

Anyway, congratulations MCB, good win that flattered the performance really IMO.
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

Fairly even first half but there was only one team in it after the break. Thoroughly deserved win for MCB.
Bangors
Novice

Post by Bangors »

Find it strange to describe Davy Wells Snr as a legend
Considering MCB's dominance in the Schoos Cup when he was in charge
How many players did he provide to both Ulster and Ireland ?
Glad to see we NOW have quite a few MCB old boys in pushing for honours
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

I don't find any problem calling Davy Wells a legend at all...he was and is an outstanding coach and a true gentleman who has left a great legacy to schools rugby....MCB lift another schools cup with a great second half performace!! RBAI were a credit with a great battling perfomance so well done lads...Gallagher at 8 was my man of the match...what a warrior.
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Post by Hans Indaruck »

Beattiespastie wrote:I don't find any problem calling Davy Wells a legend at all...he was and is an outstanding coach and a true gentleman who has left a great legacy to schools rugby....MCB lift another schools cup with a great second half performace!! RBAI were a credit with a great battling perfomance so well done lads...Gallagher at 8 was my man of the match...what a warrior.
Davy Wells - indeed a legend! I noticed in some of the pre match footage that he was still watching on (and no doubt having an input) as Nicky was putting players through their paces. Is it just me or is Nicky becoming more like his old man every day? No doubt the shoulder twitch will come in time!!

Solid performance from Methody - after a bit of a shakey start. Credit to Inst for a robust defence - but it was a case of the 'irresistible tide'.

One thing is clear - Schools rugby is becoming more 'professional' in its approach.
Hope is not a strategy.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Davy Wells is without doubt a LEGEND of schools rugby.

MCB deserved it.

I agree Gallagher was excellent but at the same time to have such a solid platform it makes his job so easy,credit must go to the front 5 of MCB.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

I thought that winger Benade, looked very, very talented. Great break, fend, step and pass by him to set up the try. I think he still has another year left at schools rugby?
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Big-al wrote:I thought that winger Benade, looked very, very talented. Great break, fend, step and pass by him to set up the try. I think he still has another year left at schools rugby?
He does but can't play due to his birthday.
The King is dead. Long live the King.