SCHOOLS CUP 2013

ny and all to do with skules

Moderator: Moderators

ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Re: SCHOOLS CUP 2013

Post by ColinM »

am hearing the Ballyclare coach got the Inst job, any truth in it?
RuPi
Initiate

Post by RuPi »

Thought that was lined up for Keiran Campbell? Very strange.
The Boo Radleys
Warrior

Post by The Boo Radleys »

News from son at Ravenhill:

Inst 18, Ballyclare 9 final score >happyparty
The six most dangerous words in the English Language - Your reward will come in Heaven...
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Match report:

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/11248.php

RBAI outscored their opponents by three tries to one with Iain Jones, Nathan Brown and Rory Bell all crossing the whitewash in response to three Jack Irvine penalties.
The game started at a frenetic pace with both teams looking to spread the ball wide and offload at every opportunity. The majority of the first half was played in the middle third of the pitch but despite Ballyclare enjoying most of the possession; it was RBAI who opened the scoring.

Left winger Rory Campbell collected his own Garryowen and produced a neat pass to inside centre Bell, who in turn fed Jones and the speedster ran in from 40 metres out. Brown was unable to add the touchline conversion.

Ballyclare HS responded well with captain Jonny Darling and prop Paddy Reid carrying strongly and outhalf Irvine was orchestrating the attack well. Indeed, Irvine almost created a try with a superb line break and pass to send fullback James Beattie down the touchline, only for him to be ushered into touch five metres out by his opposite number Fraser Wright.

Irvine did manage to register his side’s first points on the half hour mark, when after a mix up in getting a kicking tee onto the pitch for a penalty; he dropped a goal to reduce the arrears to 5-3. Irvine was enjoying a purple patch at this stage and another fine run should have put James McKee under the posts but the winger failed to hold the scoring pass.

Half time: RBAI 5 - 3 Ballyclare HS

RBAI started the second period well and scored another try five minutes after the break when Brown cut an excellent angle from a John McClure pass and sliced through the Ballyclare defence. Brown was again wide with his conversion attempt but his side now held a seven point advantage.

Irvine and Campbell traded penalties to take the score to 13-6 with ten minutes to play. The Ballyclare threw everything at the Inst and were rewarded with another Irvine penalty, his third of the afternoon, to make it a four point game.

But heroic defence from the entire RBAI team and astute tactical kicking by outhalf McClure kept the danger at bay and it was the Belfast side that had the last say with a try from Bell.

Inst will now face the winners of Wednesday’s semi-final between Methody and RS Armagh in the Danske Bank Schools' Cup Final on Monday 18th March

The Inst 12 looks like a really good player from what i've seen, not the biggest but a playmaker type centre.
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

breakdown wrote:Match report:

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/11248.php

RBAI outscored their opponents by three tries to one with Iain Jones, Nathan Brown and Rory Bell all crossing the whitewash in response to three Jack Irvine penalties.
The game started at a frenetic pace with both teams looking to spread the ball wide and offload at every opportunity. The majority of the first half was played in the middle third of the pitch but despite Ballyclare enjoying most of the possession; it was RBAI who opened the scoring.

Left winger Rory Campbell collected his own Garryowen and produced a neat pass to inside centre Bell, who in turn fed Jones and the speedster ran in from 40 metres out. Brown was unable to add the touchline conversion.

Ballyclare HS responded well with captain Jonny Darling and prop Paddy Reid carrying strongly and outhalf Irvine was orchestrating the attack well. Indeed, Irvine almost created a try with a superb line break and pass to send fullback James Beattie down the touchline, only for him to be ushered into touch five metres out by his opposite number Fraser Wright.

Irvine did manage to register his side’s first points on the half hour mark, when after a mix up in getting a kicking tee onto the pitch for a penalty; he dropped a goal to reduce the arrears to 5-3. Irvine was enjoying a purple patch at this stage and another fine run should have put James McKee under the posts but the winger failed to hold the scoring pass.

Half time: RBAI 5 - 3 Ballyclare HS

RBAI started the second period well and scored another try five minutes after the break when Brown cut an excellent angle from a John McClure pass and sliced through the Ballyclare defence. Brown was again wide with his conversion attempt but his side now held a seven point advantage.

Irvine and Campbell traded penalties to take the score to 13-6 with ten minutes to play. The Ballyclare threw everything at the Inst and were rewarded with another Irvine penalty, his third of the afternoon, to make it a four point game.

But heroic defence from the entire RBAI team and astute tactical kicking by outhalf McClure kept the danger at bay and it was the Belfast side that had the last say with a try from Bell.

Inst will now face the winners of Wednesday’s semi-final between Methody and RS Armagh in the Danske Bank Schools' Cup Final on Monday 18th March

The Inst 12 looks like a really good player from what i've seen, not the biggest but a playmaker type centre.

Sorry Breakdown but you have it completely wrong with the Inst 12.

For start he is a very big fella. I'm not saying he isn't a playmaker but he seems to love contact (tackling and bashing it up), a Nathan Grey type player.

Although he is without doubt one to watch,Inst's real danger man is the winger (Rory Campbell). He has the 'X factor'.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Maybe it was a different 12 or something, apologies anyway. But yes Campbell is brilliant, lightening quick, good kickers from the hand, good feet and knows his way to the try line.
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

breakdown wrote:Maybe it was a different 12 or something, apologies anyway. But yes Campbell is brilliant, lightening quick, good kickers from the hand, good feet and knows his way to the try line.
10,12 and 13 are all quite big.

I think the 15 played 12 earlier in the season. He is a playmaker,very good skills.
Bopeep
Novice

Post by Bopeep »

Campbell is a great player great feet and very fast. Thought that Ballyclare did a great job going through the Inst defence but the final ball did not go to hand or there was a covering tackle.
All credit to inst in holding out but Ballyclare deserve some credit.

When inst spread it wide it was all over great backs.
Rob6
Initiate

Post by Rob6 »

MCB beat RSA 29-3 to set up an all Belfast Final....

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/11257.php
Methody set up an all-Belfast Danske Bank Schools' Cup Final with RBAI after beating RS Armagh 29-3 in the second semi-final at Ravenhill on Wednesday.

The defending champions confirmed their status as competition favourites with a comprehensive win, registering three first half tries and two after the break.
It took them just 8 minutes to open the scoring when outside centre Patrick Colhoun benefitted from good work by Rudolf Benade to scorch down the right hand touchline and score in the corner. Methody continued to dominate territory and excellent ball retention created an opportunity for flanker Matthew McIvor to burrow over from close range.

Outhalf was unable to convert both touchdowns so Ali Wright’s well struck penalty left the score reading 10-3 midway through the first half.

Conor McKee, who started last year’s final, was menace throughout with ball in hand and he notched for his side’s third try after 26 minutes. Wright had two chances to reduce the arrears but he saw both penalties come back off the uprights as the half drew to a close.

Half time: MCB 15 - 3 RSA

Influential number 8 James Gallagher started the scoring in the second period after a strong run, with Bingham converting to extend the lead to 22-3. Alex Thomson then crossed from close range for the final try of the afternoon, again converted by Bingham, who produced an assured display.

RS Armagh responded with a passionate last ten minutes, ably led by captain Michael Hoey and his front row colleague Darryl Morton, but the Methody defence was equal to the challenge. Ross Kane epitomised the work rate and tenacity of the Methody forwards with some crunching tackles in the closing stages.

His side will now meet fierce rivals Royal Belfast Academical Institution in the Danske Bank Schools’ Cup Final on Monday 18th March (kick off 3.00pm).
Hustle......Loyality......Respect

U...L....S...T...E...R...R...R...R...R...R...R

Don't Stop Believing!!!!!!!!

Supporting Ulster Rugby should come with a health warning!!
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Outstanding performance by Methody...Jim Gallagher at 8 was an inspiration..hard as nails and great ball carrier. Three cup games down with only 3 points conceded along the way and that's the key...defence and workrate. Armagh battled hard but they came up against one of the best Methody sides in recent years. RBAI are a good side so it will be a great final.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Beattiespastie wrote:Outstanding performance by Methody...Jim Gallagher at 8 was an inspiration..hard as nails and great ball carrier. Three cup games down with only 3 points conceded along the way and that's the key...defence and workrate. Armagh battled hard but they came up against one of the best Methody sides in recent years. RBAI are a good side so it will be a great final.

Who you reckon will win final?
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

The best team.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Beattiespastie wrote:The best team.
So no insight then? :lol:
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Two great teams and I have massive respect for RBAI plus I think the two best teams throughout the season made it to the final. Of course the rivalry is red hot and I am MCB through and through but I have close family in the INST camp who lifted a schools cup so I have nothing but respect for ye olde enemy! May the best side win.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

kingofthehill wrote:Who you reckon will win final?
Beattiespastie wrote:The best team.
Beattiespastie wrote:Two great teams and I have massive respect for RBAI plus I think the two best teams throughout the season made it to the final. Of course the rivalry is red hot and I am MCB through and through but I have close family in the INST camp who lifted a schools cup so I have nothing but respect for ye olde enemy! May the best side win.
So that's MCB TWICE then! >EW
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right