McCarthy leaves Connacht for Leinster

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

mikerob
Lord Chancellor

McCarthy leaves Connacht for Leinster

Post by mikerob »

Mike McCarthy from Connacht to Leinster + some public inter-provincial bickering... interesting. The IRFU usually try to keep a lid on things like this and project the image that it is all one big happy family.
Chief Executive Tom Sears said: “We are bitterly disappointed to lose Mike McCarthy, who has been a popular senior member of our squad. While disappointed, particularly given the continued success of Connacht Rugby in recent years, we respect the individual player’s decision and wish Mike every success in his future playing career.”

Tom Sears explained “We have been aware of Leinster’s interest in Mike for some time. It is disappointing they have persistently targeted Connacht players in recent years, particularly when often not in the best interest of Irish Rugby.”
http://www.connachtrugby.ie/20121212831 ... acht-rugby
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: McCarthy leaves Connacht for Leinster

Post by breakdown »

Shame. Mike has been one of the Westies best players in a while, he's been a key player. Shouldn't have left Connacht really, look at what happened Carr and Cronin. Also doesnt really help with the whole 'Leinster poach players' argument.

although wouldn't have minded if Ulster signed him.... :stir:
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
tommyblue
Novice

Post by tommyblue »

shame that he has to go on the list of players 'I dont particularly like.'
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

You can't blame the player for wanting to progress and join a top club.
Connacht got good use of him for a good few years.
They are getting a bit above themselves of late. It's all very well for them to win big matches but they need to remember their place in the pecking order.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Dublin4 wrote:You can't blame the player for wanting to progress and join a top club.
Connacht got good use of him for a good few years.
They are getting a bit above themselves of late. It's all very well for them to win big matches but they need to remember their place in the pecking order.
Hopefully the last comment was tongue in cheek there D4.

Leinster will certainly be the better for having McCarthy in the squad to fill the shoes of Hines and Thorn, but that said it is a shame and this along with Eric's departure at the end of the season puts Connacht right back to square one in what they've started to build over the last two or three seasons.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Leinster not playing too well, go and find a mercenary player to boost their second row.

History repeating itself?

If McCarthy leaves the West, then who cares, they could buy 2 decent centres and still not have a chance against us next week
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Well said Mr Sears, Leinster have established a track record of taking Connacht's better players but they end up as squad men.

Given Ugly Kid Leo's great age & lack of convincing alternatives McCarthy may buck that trend but it's hard not to sympathise with Westies, every time they get a little success they lose players. Its the way of the world but a little sad none the less as they are on the brink of winning half their pool matches in the HC.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Scranner
Warrior

Post by Scranner »

Begs the question: what are the IRFU at when they allow an Ireland play to switch from Connacht to Leinster. If they're serious about building Connacht as a provincial feeder side for the Irish team they have to incentivise Irish players to stay there. I was p!ssed when Boss went to Leinster - though it was understandable given we were getting Ruan. Interprovincial poaching like that should be banned?????
STATE PRO VIRIS ULTONIAE
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

WHat's the difference between interprovincial poaching and development team?

McCarthy is hardly a spring chicken, Leinster are weak in the 2nd row so he will be an asset, unlike Cronin and Carr who would have been better served travelling down the N/M18 than the M6.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

I can understand Connachts annoyance in the lost of McCarthy who is an excellent player if not a tad old, the poaching of their best players will however continue to happen until The IRFU start to take Connacht seriously. The have lost Carr and Cronin both who are now bench warmers and they also lost Jamie Hagan, who with the arrival of Bent is now 3rd choice tighthead( the Hagan situation should never be allowed by the IRFU, 3 IQ TH's at one province :duh: ) If Connacht is to be used as a feeder club (and personnally I don't like that arrangement) but if that is the way it is then someone like Devon Toner or another Leinster 2nd row should be sent to Galway......
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Cormac
Initiate

Post by Cormac »

McCarthy was offered the same deal by Connacht as he was by Leinster and understandably enough chose to go with Leinster's offer. It's not exactly an area of strength for Leinster and he should be a regular starter when he joins up next season.

As for other players moving from west to east, it hasn't really been a good experience for Carr or Hagan but Cronin has improved quite a bit since he first arrived, looks a much better player to my eye and is getting regular game time in big matches. On the Carr move, he actually announced he was leaving Connacht a good 4/5 months before he actually put pen to paper with Leinster. I'm fairly convinced Leinster only signed him as cover, mostly for the World Cup and due to the chronic injury Shane Horgan had. If Leinster hadn't suffered some medium-long term injuries in the backline, I doubt they'd have kept him on for this season.
Cormac
Initiate

Post by Cormac »

scrum5 wrote:I can understand Connachts annoyance in the lost of McCarthy who is an excellent player if not a tad old, the poaching of their best players will however continue to happen until The IRFU start to take Connacht seriously. The have lost Carr and Cronin both who are now bench warmers and they also lost Jamie Hagan, who with the arrival of Bent is now 3rd choice tighthead( the Hagan situation should never be allowed by the IRFU, 3 IQ TH's at one province :duh: ) If Connacht is to be used as a feeder club (and personnally I don't like that arrangement) but if that is the way it is then someone like Devon Toner or another Leinster 2nd row should be sent to Galway......
Leinster have five senior squad locks out of contract at the end of the season (Cullen, Browne, Toner, Roux and Flanagan), wouldn't be surprised to see one of them move west. Browne would seem the obvious fit, him being a Connachtman.

btw, Leinster have five IQ tight-heads. Hagan, though, isn't good enough to play international rugby.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

So he joins the list of Connacht players to leave for a bigger side and end up being stuck in the reserves. Poor move for him if you ask me.

On the other hand, how much does this prove that Connacht are the fourth province. Leinster swoop in and steal one of their players without any trouble. If the IRFU want Connacht to develop, surely they should intervene - the fact they haven't would prove otherwise.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
ardsrugbyards
Initiate

Post by ardsrugbyards »

ruckover wrote:So he joins the list of Connacht players to leave for a bigger side and end up being stuck in the reserves. Poor move for him if you ask me.
i don't agree i think he is a great player and will make the Leinster HC side without any trouble Toner is a one trick pony and the rest of his game is poor, Cullen is past his best so i can easliy see him in the leinster starting team and also the Irish team over the next few years.

super signing for the :mexican:
DHK
Steward

Post by DHK »

I think its a good move for him. Should be a regular starter and if so will only improve his game