Leinster: Respect

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Tevez
Initiate

Leinster: Respect

Post by Tevez »

Folks, as we look forward to traditionally one of our biggest matches of the season I think we should pause to reflect on our opponent's reaction in our time of despair earlier in the season.

You will remember that following the Spence family tragedy, on his own initiative, Cian Healy's father drove up to Belfast to be one of the first to sign the book of condolence. Thereafter at their next Rabo Direct match (the match remembered by Ulster fans for the remarkable and moving tribute paid by George Hook on RTE) the Leinster squad wore red and white Nevin Spence t shirts. Then on the day of Spence memorial service at Ravenhill ,Leinster sent their whole first team squad to share in our grief and memories.

Leinster Rugby - a class act on and off the field.

Respect.

Let's give them a genuinely warm welcome on Friday night.
If only everyone had Neil McMillan's dedication....
KingLuba
Novice

Re: Leinster: Respect

Post by KingLuba »

Agreed.

I want us to win badly but part of that is because we hold Leinster in such high regard. An awesome rugby force. They mix the will to win with respect and grace.

Still praying for a 'saints away' style humbling though!!
DirtyRucker
Novice

Post by DirtyRucker »

Hear hear! I have a lot of time for the boys in blue after a few months ago! We can still give them a good hoofin' though! :cheers:
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

+1 Surprised by some of the reaction to our first loss in the best season I can remember. Yes, only bad thing of the weekend! You’d think they could have done it for my Birthday! It was always a possibility; Saints had 70% territory and possession last week too but Ulster were big in defense and took their chances four tries to nil. This week they had two or three chances but didn’t take them; dropped passes, unlucky calls from the referee, bounces of the ball and injuries. We’re still top of the group, top of the league and in the B&I cup so not all’s lost!
We really have been unlucky with injuries so it’s incredible we are where we are! Nevin Spence dead, Ferris, Best, Muller, Fitzpatrick out for most of the season. Bowe, McAllister, Fleming out for the season. Stevenson, Macklin, Doyle all coming back from Injury.

Three wheels on our wagon but we’re still rolling along…..
That was the first game this season where Ulster did not score a try. I’ll forgive them if they beat
Leinster this week – another monkey; seven years since we’ve beaten them! Respect definitely but SUFTUM!
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

+1 Tevez :salut:

We need to bounce back by getting this perennial Leinster duck off our backs.
AyeYerMa
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by AyeYerMa »

I tend to give everybody a decent welcome... But point taken.
I came for my woman, he came with a razor blade,
Bound like us all for the ocean
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

AyeYerMa wrote:I tend to give everybody a decent welcome... But point taken.
Same. Shook the hands of several Saints fans after the game on Saturday and they were very complimentary (apart from one guy who decided to yell COYS as Pienaar was kicking).

Leinster fans are always good banter - last season they brought a lot of fans and they were very friendly. What they did for Nevin was brilliant and I applaud them for that :salut:

On the pitch I hope we thrash 'em :lol:
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
SparkyClarky
Warrior

Post by SparkyClarky »

Setanta wrote:That was the first game this season where Ulster did not score a try. I’ll forgive them if they beat
Leinster this week – another monkey; seven years since we’ve beaten them! Respect definitely but SUFTUM!
24/10/09 16- 14 win for Ulster!

Anyway it will be a nervous night on the back of Saturdays result but no better test either.
Also haven't a clue whether like last season a full strength 15 will arrive @ Ravers.

Given their position it's a must win and with the pressure now on Leinster after their defeat at home might just be too much?

Can't wait!!!
noun "Fan"
an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport,

I'm Not an expert, not always right, I'm just enthusiastic....well most of the time!
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

From what I've read on Leinsterfans it sounds like it'll have to be a full team because of injuries.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

A good and timely reminder Tevez. >appl

They aren't my favourite team outside of Ulster to be honest, but they certainly proved the old saying of "a friend in need is a friend indeed" and they showed impeccable respect when our Nev died.

Whilst I usually like to have a pop at some of their squad in the build up to our matches, in truth I have respected them more than any other team in the last 4 or 5 years. So though it will lead to a dull week, I couldn't agree more with your sentiments.

I have said all season that this game needs to be won more than any other, its a giant sized monkey that needs to be excised from our collective backs. My greatest fear is that we haven't a second row for this week, that apart I expect a gigantic response from our lads after the weekend horror.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Tevez wrote:Folks, as we look forward to traditionally one of our biggest matches of the season I think we should pause to reflect on our opponent's reaction in our time of despair earlier in the season.

You will remember that following the Spence family tragedy, on his own initiative, Cian Healy's father drove up to Belfast to be one of the first to sign the book of condolence. Thereafter at their next Rabo Direct match (the match remembered by Ulster fans for the remarkable and moving tribute paid by George Hook on RTE) the Leinster squad wore red and white Nevin Spence t shirts. Then on the day of Spence memorial service at Ravenhill ,Leinster sent their whole first team squad to share in our grief and memories.

Leinster Rugby - a class act on and off the field.

Respect.

Let's give them a genuinely warm welcome on Friday night.
+1 Tevez SUFTLM :salut: Even despite the rivalry, always felt welcome at RDS, Aviva, or any of the clubs I played against down there. Especially Wesley and Landsdowne, who always treated us like lords.
Even on their own fan site, never get anything other than the feeling they genuinely want Ulster to do well (behind themselves of course.) Same at Twickers, banter was all good humoured, even though they outnumbered us and hoked us off the park.

The Nevin tribute and their teams' general and genuine conduct made a lasting impression on me. Respect indeed >appl

Still want to beat them tho... :thumleft:
Exterminate all rational thought
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Agreed this is the one game in December that we need to win as a team going forward, put out as strong a team as is possible then send a ravens team down to Thomand.

Would start with Black, Best and Afoa with Court, Herring and Macklin coming on about the hour
McComb and Hendo in the 2nd row with Simpson as cover
Backrow of Diack, Henry and Wilson with Nick and McComish as cover
Ruan and Jackson or if Jackson is injured the Marshy at 9 and Ruan 10
Backs as they were except Craig in place of Tommy and Luke Marshall for Paddy ( as Paddy took some serious knocks )

SUFTUM :red:
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

Firstly I agree with the general thrust of this thread. They stood with Ulster as tall as anyone three months ago.

I would disagree on the 'rugby' side of things. I don't think we *need* to win this game. I think it's conceivable that we could lose on Friday and still go on to win the Heineken Cup. It'd be brilliant if we do win, and no doubt would help our mentality going forward. But the idea of it being *must win* is a stretch, for me. That said, I only really consider a match 'must win' if it's a mathematical necessity, which is probably short of how most people view it.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

is it a duck or a monkey we have on our backs? Being a forward, I wouldn't know, but I have a hunch.

sent from my Trimphone 722 using sorcery
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

15. J Payne, 14. A Trimble, 13. D Cave, 12. L Marshall, 11. C Gilroy, 10. R Pienaar, 9. P Marshall; 1. C Black, 2. R Herring, 3. J Afoa, 4. I Henderson, 5. N McComb, 6. R Diack, 7. C Henry (c), 8. N Williams.

16. N Brady, 17. T Court, 18. A Macklin, 19. L Stevenson/J Simpson, 20. R Wilson, 21. M Heaney, 22. N O'Connor, 23. P Wallace.

Wallace and Best seemed to pick up small knocks so I'd rest them this week. Black gets another chance but Court on the bench just in case. Wilson deserves a rest too. Hopefully Stevenson's back.