Travel In/Around London

Get together, pool resources, share information on everything from trips to meeting places and social arrangements.

Moderator: Moderators

bangorboy
Steward

Travel In/Around London

Post by bangorboy »

Amazed that return flights to London gatwick are £50 then the train to the city from airport is £35 return!!!!

Given I'll be there with child from Friday to Monday is there a cheaper way to travel around?

Have done some googling but there just seems so many different travel sites/train and bus companies its all a bit confusing.

Just looking for something to get us in/t the airport and the odd train/tub around the city while we are there. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Nevin Spence - Forever an Ulsterman
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Travel In/Around London

Post by Rooster »

bangorboy wrote:Amazed that return flights to London gatwick are £50 then the train to the city from airport is £35 return!!!!

Given I'll be there with child from Friday to Monday is there a cheaper way to travel around?

Have done some googling but there just seems so many different travel sites/train and bus companies its all a bit confusing.

Just looking for something to get us in/t the airport and the odd train/tub around the city while we are there. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
Usually an option for group ticket for 4 available at the station, then Oyster card if much on tube or a group taxi can be cheaper
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
bangorboy
Steward

Post by bangorboy »

Cheers Rooster - just the two of us so sharing/pooling prob not going to work as as its my son I'll be paying for him anyway!

Incredible that a 500 mile flight is only £15 more than a 15 mile train journey!!!
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

bangorboy wrote:Cheers Rooster - just the two of us so sharing/pooling prob not going to work as as its my son I'll be paying for him anyway!

Incredible that a 500 mile flight is only £15 more than a 15 mile train journey!!!
What age is son as he may qualify for free or reduced travel, if in doubt buy tickets at station also ordinary train is not much slower and is cheaper than Gatwick express if you are not tight on time.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Can you get an advanced saver fare on the normal train? It takes a bit longer and does a couple of stops but not the end of the world. Main reason the express is expensive is for people on expenses.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

http://www.thetrainline.com and go that way. Standard train will not be £35 booked this far in advance.
Last edited by Jackie Brown on Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
bangorboy
Steward

Post by bangorboy »

Cheers JB - cheapest direct train return coming in at £43!!!

I spend about two weeks a month in England but thankfully never in London! Unbelieveably expensive!
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

bangorboy wrote:Cheers JB - cheapest direct train return coming in at £43!!!

I spend about two weeks a month in England but thankfully never in London! Unbelieveably expensive!
Try networkrail.co.uk as they're usually cheaper London Victoria is normal station to arrive at
Rory Best
Tenyarder
Novice

Post by Tenyarder »

There are usually all sorts of deals about. If staying out of town you can get a day return which will cover all stations (including Underground) within London which is quite useful as you don't know where on earth Sarries will decide to play the game!
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

I'm only going as far as Clapham junction but you can get tickets at £20 return for 2 people all in.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
ayepod
Initiate

Post by ayepod »

National Express also run buses from Gatwick to Victoria station, but as said above you can get the train much cheaper if you dont get the express train. I use thetrainline for buying tickets, but you can buy just as easy at the station on the day. One benefit of Heathrow is you can take the neverending tube journey into town which saves a few of your pennies for overpriced pints
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Jackie Brown wrote:

I'm only going as far as Clapham junction but you can get tickets at £20 return for 2 people all in.

Be as well going that far on the big train then undergrounding the rest on the oyster card bangorboy
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Easybus do dirt cheap transfers from Gatwick if you book ahead - as low as £2 each way if memory serves.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

As mentioned before, if you are coming from Gatwick, don't bother with the Gatwick Express unless you are in a huge hurry.

The Southern Railways service from Gatwick into London only stops twice so isn't much slower than the Express and is a lot cheaper.
Surrey Red Hand
Warrior Assassin

Post by Surrey Red Hand »

IF I were coming from Norn Ire, I would be looking at flights to Luton or Heathrow if possible as they will be closer to any prospective venue, and I'm thinking Wembley/Twickers/Vicarage Road here .. but until the venue is actually announced it's all a gamble.