Ali Birch

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

rotherhamtillidie
Novice

Ali Birch

Post by rotherhamtillidie »

Has signed for rotherham titans in England for next season according to their supporters twitter feed @titansrugbynews and in the rugby paper, both are very reliable sources.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Ali Birch

Post by kingofthehill »

rotherhamtillidie wrote:Has signed for rotherham titans in England for next season according to their supporters twitter feed @titansrugbynews and in the rugby paper, both are very reliable sources.
It's true.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Good luck to him. Hopefully the move will benefit him no end :salut:
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
promsandwich
Steward

Post by promsandwich »

ruckover wrote:Good luck to him. Hopefully the move will benefit him no end :salut:
The lad looked a prospect at 7. I had hoped he would be a bit better than Willie Faloon who was almost there. Disappointed to see that he hasn't quite made it. He needs more game time than he has had this year. Hope it works out for him. :salut:
tommyblue
Novice

Post by tommyblue »

Good luck to Ali. Disappointed he didnt kick on when given opportunities although they were few and far between.
Loki
Warrior Assassin

Post by Loki »

I hope he does brilliantly in Rotherham and wish him all the best. I hoped he would go on to provide competition to CH but he hasn't quite developed as yet; regular games at a decent level will do him the power of good.

would like to see him back if he progresses well, he's someone I'd like to see make the grade.
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Post by Hans Indaruck »

Shame to lose a promising young talent but the reality is that he won't get the game time at UR. I could see him doing well at the Titans - good luck to him! :thumleft:
Hope is not a strategy.
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

Meh.

All the best to the fella, but ultimately not good enough and never going to be for a club aiming at winning HECs and Pro12s.

[For those going on about promise... as I said on here before - 1 week younger than Sam Warburton and a year older than Justin Tipuric.]

edit: Sean Doyle looks much more promising and is younger.
nonplussed
Warrior Chief

Post by nonplussed »

Good luck to him, had chances and didn't kick on
rotherhamtillidie
Novice

Post by rotherhamtillidie »

Gareth Steenson
Sean dougall
Robin copeland
Shane Monaghan
James McKinney
... And players like mccomb and McCormish all came to Rotherham because below the regional teams there's such a huge drop off in terms of professionalism (not a criticism) in Ireland, but an abundance of talent. Several directors of rugby in England have publicly stated using this as part of their recruitment strategy.

We've just signed a player called scanlon from munster too, so it looks like the policy is continuing.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

The IRFU are more than happy to allow the RFU Championship teams to act as feeder clubs for the provinces while the AIL feeds the RFU Championship teams. Suits all round.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Does this mean Doyle is seen as the long term prospect now for the 7 shirt?

To those Rotherham fans reading you have got an honest workman like forward who is comfortable anywhere in the back row, you will not be disappointed.

Having watched Dungannon several times he is a stand out player in the AIL when playing at club level. Some may say big deal, as you rightly point out there is a big drop between provincial and club in Ireland. However there are many professionals who do not stand out when representing their affiliated club team.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Windeos
Warrior Chief

Post by Windeos »

rotherhamtillidie wrote:Gareth Steenson
Sean dougall
Robin copeland
Shane Monaghan
James McKinney
... And players like mccomb and McCormish all came to Rotherham because below the regional teams there's such a huge drop off in terms of professionalism (not a criticism) in Ireland, but an abundance of talent. Several directors of rugby in England have publicly stated using this as part of their recruitment strategy.

We've just signed a player called scanlon from munster too, so it looks like the policy is continuing.
It's a very sound policy and once you mix the irish guys into the players Rotherham have brought in locally, you'll have a very competitive team over there.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

For players coming out of the academy aged 21 -22 the problem is to break into the senior squad forwards frequently lack the physical wherewithall and experience and backs lack the experience so unless they get a championship chance they may wilt playing club rugby and loose the desire to make it as a professional.

The B & I gives them the window of opportunity to be seen playing at a level above club and playing in the championship while some way short of Pro12 and the Premiership is stronger than the Irish club game and provides them with experience to come back into Pro12 better than when they left .

The Championship teams obtain a player who has been schooled physically mentally and taught how to maintain fitness.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

Hans Indaruck wrote:Shame to lose a promising young talent
There seems to be a misconception about just how "young" Birch is, though; not significantly younger than David Pocock or Sam Warburton and nearly a year older than Justin Tipuric, for example.

I think this is a good move for the guy - I hear good things about his performances in the AIL but has never stood out for Ulster. The Championship seems a good level for him to play more regularly. Good luck to him.