Future of the H-Cup

Questions for the players, the management, the UAFC, the URSC or other supporters... Someone might answer you!! (and pigs might fly)

Moderator: Moderators

mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Re: Future of the H-Cup

Post by mikerob »

bazzaj wrote:Completely out of context.
I will reitorate keep it as it is.
There is just as much of an need for two Italian teams than 7 English.
It is a European competition.
Again we have been lamentable in this competition so now we arent in that position suddenly you want to exclude teams as they are not as good as others.
I have argued this to death now and I am starting to repeat myself as you havent read my previous posts properly.
If you want to go over things again refer to my previous posts.
I have read your previously posts and your argument seems to be that some teams should be guaranteed entry into the HEC and it doesn't matter how sh!te they are. You have't given any justification why the HEC needs 2 Italian teams and why you don't care if these teams are rubbish.

Personally, I don't agree with this and think that a so-called "premier" competition should have better quality control than this.

Where have I said that Ulster should have some privileged position? If the proposed rules were applied back in seasons like 08/09 when Ulster were third from bottom of the ML, then Ulster would have been in the ACC and I would have no problem with this.

A sh!te team is a sh!te team and it shouldn't be in the premier competition whether it is Italian, Ulster or any other nationality.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

I don't think Rugby can use the champions league model of European competition.

Football big in, England, Scotland, France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Germany, Holland, Belgium, Russia, Ukraine, I could go on. Each have their own top leagues providing top teams.

Rugby big in, England, France, Ireland, Wales, Scotland and Italy. The last three are debatable and the last 4 share a league!

Rugby is not a broad, mature enough sport in Europe to base around a Football model. It should be more about spreading the game rather than making money for failing English clubs.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Jackie Brown wrote:I don't think Rugby can use the champions league model of European competition.

Football big in, England, Scotland, France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Germany, Holland, Belgium, Russia, Ukraine, I could go on. Each have their own top leagues providing top teams.

Rugby big in, England, France, Ireland, Wales, Scotland and Italy. The last three are debatable and the last 4 share a league!

Rugby is not a broad, mature enough sport in Europe to base around a Football model. It should be more about spreading the game rather than making money for failing English clubs.
100% JB :thumleft:

Mind you I did snigger at Scotland having a top league providing top teams, but yeah, I know what you mean.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

So the Scarlets finish 15 points behind Ulster at the end of the league programme yet are given another opportunity to be crowned champions...where do they come in the $hite scale?

Anyway...there's no fcukin chance the IRFU are going to agree to a reduction in their HEC representation while the English keep theirs.
The Zebre issue is a distraction...this is about money...pure and simple.
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

browner wrote:So the Scarlets finish 15 points behind Ulster at the end of the league programme yet are given another opportunity to be crowned champions...where do they come in the $hite scale?

Anyway...there's no fcukin chance the IRFU are going to agree to a reduction in their HEC representation while the English keep theirs.
The Zebre issue is a distraction...this is about money...pure and simple.
The Scarlets come 56 points above Zebre in the sh!te scale.

If it comes down to losing the HEC, or doing a deal with the English and French, the IRFU and WRU will do a deal, knowing that they will likely grab additional places rather than the Scots and Italians.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Jackie Brown wrote:I don't think Rugby can use the champions league model of European competition.

100% JB :thumleft:

Mind you I did snigger at Scotland having a top league providing top teams, but yeah, I know what you mean.
Yeah should have said they provide 1 competitive team, but didn't want to over complicate the post. You get my point though.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Rocket
Novice

Post by Rocket »

I think they should have the Top 6 from each league get automatic qualification. The rest go through a knock out competition during the late summer before leagues start to qualify for the remaining places probably 3rounds of knock outs should do it. This way most teams should be there on merits. Similar to the early champions league games. Losing teams go into the Amlin.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

If we were looking at starting a new competition from scratch it might make sense to build it around the three pro leagues in Europe. But the English in particular seem to like to ignore the fact that the competition was set up by and belongs to the 6 rugby unions with the aim of developing and improving the game across all the unions. Why would the FIR or the SRU agree to forfeit any guarantee of involvement in the competition for their clubs?
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

pwrmoore wrote:Why would the FIR or the SRU agree to forfeit any guarantee of involvement in the competition for their clubs?
You could apply that to the IRFU and WRU as well. As unlikely as it is, it would be possible for all of the Welsh teams or all of the Irish teams to miss out if it was top six qualifiers.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Gael
Steward

Post by Gael »

Has there been any word on this since they were heading for meetings all over Europe and discussing it with seemingly no outcome?
There was never a guard nor a customs man, got his nose inside that transit van.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

ruckover wrote:
pwrmoore wrote:Why would the FIR or the SRU agree to forfeit any guarantee of involvement in the competition for their clubs?
You could apply that to the IRFU and WRU as well. As unlikely as it is, it would be possible for all of the Welsh teams or all of the Irish teams to miss out if it was top six qualifiers.
Absolutely. Never meant to imply otherwise. Was thinking tonight about the performance of Connacht all those years in the amlin and the step-change improvement since qualifying for the main competition. Surely this shows that any union with ambitions to improve should do everything it can to ensure as many clubs as possible play in the HEC.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Proposed reductions for Irish,Welsh,Scottish and Italian participation....the European cup?...the Anglo/French cup would be more appropriate.
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.