2013 Super Rugby Final

A forum to discuss all things rugby on the Southern Hemisphere leagues.

Moderator: Moderators

2013 Super Rugby winners

Chiefs
57%
Brumbies
43%

Total votes: 7

ruckover
Lord Chancellor

2013 Super Rugby Final

Post by ruckover »

So, Chiefs vs Brumbies. Who do you fancy? Being a Brumbies man I feel obliged to say them although I do think it's the Chiefs' to lose.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Ithryn
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: 2013 Super Rugby Final

Post by Ithryn »

I enjoy watching the chiefs play, but as they are all out attack and cab to defend I would hate to be a die hard fan of theirs.

The Brumbies are well coached and have a balanced style, and have come on massively recently.

I did hear that apparently on lions years its always been the lions host union that wins the super 12/14/15.
Why? Why not?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I always support an Aussie team against NZers and this will be no different.

Think Chiefs will win it mind you.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Chiefs captain Craig Clark playing for Connacht next season which is one of those signings thats hard to get your head around and says a lot for Connachts ambition.
He is a tremendous work horse who escapes plaudits and has captained the Chiefs to super 15 success last season.
Had a great semi against the Crusaders and looks a real man to have in the trenches where he will spend the majority of his time the next season.
Think I can safely that Connacht will not miss McCarthy that much.

As for the game, got to fancy the Chiefs experience and home advantage to count for the win but Jake White has worked miracles this season for the Brumbies so it will go to the wire I would have thought.
28-25
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

No doubt Paul Moore would tell me to google it myself but can anyone tell me is this match on tomorrow morning and is it on Sky?
If so what time and channel number. Gotta get back to work.
will check here again at 4.55pm.
Thanks in anticipation.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

HwoodMike2umate wrote:No doubt Paul Moore would tell me to google it myself but can anyone tell me is this match on tomorrow morning and is it on Sky?
If so what time and channel number. Gotta get back to work.
will check here again at 4.55pm.
Thanks in anticipation.

Yes Mike. There are people out there who can tell you when and where you can watch the match >EW
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Sky Sports 1, 8am
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

As if by magic :shock: :lol:
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Thanks. Full report on game may follow on Monday.

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Craig Joubert is trying his hardest to ruin the game of rugby and make it the Joubert show
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

bazzaj wrote:
As for the game, got to fancy the Chiefs experience and home advantage to count for the win but Jake White has worked miracles this season for the Brumbies so it will go to the wire I would have thought.
28-25
4 points out, dammit!
I am slipping.
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Excellent game and well worth getting up for although unfortunately I cant report whether or not there were any Cheerleaders as the game was just starting when we put telly on (8.30am kick off) and I was in the shower at half-time. Full match report here - http://www.superxv.com/39964/1/chiefs-w ... f9vZoNwaM8

All I'll add is that some great kicks and a try by the Brumbies Christian Lealiifano - he scored all their points, decent game by Chiefs full back Gareth (son of Mark) Anscombe although he was sub'd on 58 mins, and Connacht have done very well to get the Chiefs captain Craig Clarke for 3 years. Crowd was 25,140. Man of the match was Chiefs Liam Messam and his try (albeit unconverted) on 65 mins (to bring the Chiefs within 5 points) was probably the turning point in the game.

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

To add to Mikes comments I dont actually think I have seen Lealiifano miss a kick yet.
Doesnt even look like he is going to.

I was so impressed with that Chiefs side which lacks the big name stars but focuses on the collective team effort with every player in the squad bringing something to the table.
Their coach Dave Rennie has to take the credit for their success.
They are one of the few sides I have seen that back themselves to regularly move the ball wide in their own 22.
They know that with the full backs and wings standing deep for the kick there will be a natural over lap every time the ball is moved wide.
Their off loading game is great but what they do is recognise that sometimes they are going nowhere so the player in possession will take the ball up straight and hard to get the go forward momentum again.
Ulster take note.

Would have been easy to stray from their game plan when they were chasing the game but they believed in it and it came off for them.
Two times winners in a row is no coincidence, they are best side with the best coach.
Gael
Steward

Post by Gael »

5 Chiefs in the AB squad and 6 Hurricanes. Bit unfair maybe.
There was never a guard nor a customs man, got his nose inside that transit van.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Would love to have seen that 22 stone prop Tameifuna involved.
Some of those hits on the Brumbies centre and George Smith were teeth shattering.
What an impact he would be.
The fact there is only 5 involved when most of the squad is New Zealand qualified goes with what I am saying that they have no real stars but are a proper team.

Did not mention that Wayne Smith is the assistant coach of the chiefs and it is clear to see his blueprint written over that side as well.
Always had a back yourself mantra and shows what you can do if you give your players the self belief and the confidence to try things.
Helped turn them from also rans into winners in one season.