Heating Oil Prices Here.

Who needs ebay?

Moderator: Moderators

bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Heating Oil Prices Here.

Post by bootlaced »

It would seem that it is always better to buy at the start of the summer than the end,buy in bulk,and make sure to phone around.

You can take these prices with a pinch of salt or not,

http://www.consumercouncil.org.uk/oil-price-watch/
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Heating Oil Prices Here.

Post by Rooster »

bootlaced wrote:It would seem that it is always better to buy at the start of the summer than the end,buy in bulk,and make sure to phone around.

Oil goes up and down by the minute hence the differences when you phone round as some work on spot price and others on what they paid for the stuff or what the replacement will cost, always reckoned it was better to stick to one reliable firm then if you run out at some stage you stand a better chance of quick service and also get a better deal anyway.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Rooster wrote:
bootlaced wrote:It would seem that it is always better to buy at the start of the summer than the end,buy in bulk,and make sure to phone around.

Oil goes up and down by the minute hence the differences when you phone round as some work on spot price and others on what they paid for the stuff or what the replacement will cost, always reckoned it was better to stick to one reliable firm then if you run out at some stage you stand a better chance of quick service and also get a better deal anyway.
That's my take on it too Rooster, I have been with Hylands for 31 years and they meet my every whim the oil often arriving within an hour or two despite my having moved 13 miles away from them. On occasions where I have run out they will always bleed the system and make sure its running, happened a few times & though I know what to do myself it's great service from them.

I have occasionally checked prices & Hylands are always there or thereabouts.

Have heard of a local Bangor supplier who has dodgy metres on the trucks, get someone reliable and stick with them.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
colind
Squire

Post by colind »

This site is useful for comparing prices http://www.cheapestoil.co.uk/Heating-Oil-NI.aspx
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Have heard of a local Bangor supplier who has dodgy metres on the trucks, get someone reliable and stick with them.
Meters are MEANT to be checked by weights and measurs people, but I often wonder how often and how accurately.

I have had a Bangor company TWICE deliver oil to me which wasn't ordered (I have NEVER ordered from them) and it was not a nice experience either time. I won't name them, but it was very obvious they were a "Bangor" company - if you know what I mean! (Their office was actually in North Belfast - but that doesn't sound grand enough for Bangorians). I now keep my tank locked. First time, the driver demanded cash from my wife having delivered the oil withot even knocking the door. She ended up writing a cheque under duress having felt very threatened. I ended up eventually getting the cheque back and the oil pumped out but with a feeling that they may have taken more than they put in.

About a year later the same company delivered again without being asked (meant to deliver to the house around the corner but couldn't read either of the two large numbers on the door and wall of the house). On this occasion I had had the tank filled by my own supplier only the week before and it was almost full - driver still insisted that he had put in 250l and complained to my wife that we shouldn't have ordered from him when it was such a small amount. This time he got nothing, and when I pointed out that there wasn't even room for 100l let alone 250 they CLAIMED to have delivered, they eventually backed down.

Never figured out if they were real crooks or just totally incompetent to twice deliver to the wrong address without even checking first.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Pity the tank wasnt empty the second time Grumpy, you could have been quids in.

Myself, I used to check the prices each time and found that the usual supplier was coming out tops or within a pound or two on a 900L order. So now I have a direct debit with them and get a slightly better deal as a result as well as mostly same day service. I've even had a small 'overdraft' on the direct debit account for a week or two until the next payment goes in without any complaints or charges.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

I would say the meters are probably accurate enough but you have to trust the driver to give you what he says he gave you, you will get the occasional rogue who could give some of yours to his previous customer, meter should read zero and ticket should not be in it before he arrives if you think he is dodgy.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

Appreciate all the input,I have learned quite a bit.
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

Grumps & Baggy - would you mind PM-ing me on this?

I get my oil from a supplier in Bangor & I suspect it may from who you are both referring to so I'd appreciate any detail on what to look out for.
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

Well I've just about enough Oil to get me through to 1 January 2015. Should I buy now or wait?
Discuss asap.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

HwoodMike2umate wrote:Well I've just about enough Oil to get me through to 1 January 2015. Should I buy now or wait?
Discuss asap.
Buy now.

Too many traders are getting antsy in the run up to Xmas. They want a bonus

Problem is, there is a lot of government pressure to break Russia. This goes on 2 more months and Russia ceases to exist
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Wait. Crude is still at stupid prices. Put a coat on.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Well I filled up last Friday at 42p per litre
Rory Best
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Cheaper than a can of coke!
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Coke prices are artificially high.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk