A little bit of politics folks`

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: A little bit of politics folks`

Post by big mervyn »

Laughable how these cabinet ministers are now so keen to distance themselves from an administration that they were all part and parcel of.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

big mervyn wrote:Laughable how these cabinet ministers are now so keen to distance themselves from an administration that they were all part and parcel of.
Rishi Sunak is going to fix the economy sure.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Tighthead Prod
Novice

Post by Tighthead Prod »

big mervyn wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:15 pm Laughable how these cabinet ministers are now so keen to distance themselves from an administration that they were all part and parcel of.
Watched the Channel 4 debate last night... interesting, but not surprising, that 4 out of 5 of the candidates couldn't/wouldn't say that Boris was untruthful, with the honourable exception being Tom Tugenhat ... and he hasn't a chance of winning !!
http://www.thefru.co.uk Valiant for Truth Justice and the Ulster Way.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Tighthead Prod wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:50 pm
big mervyn wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:15 pm Laughable how these cabinet ministers are now so keen to distance themselves from an administration that they were all part and parcel of.
Watched the Channel 4 debate last night... interesting, but not surprising, that 4 out of 5 of the candidates couldn't/wouldn't say that Boris was untruthful, with the honourable exception being Tom Tugenhat ... and he hasn't a chance of winning !!
Not that its an excuse, I guess politicians never want to close a door or alienate a person or part of the party. Was interesting that the girl Kemi was all about being honest and then couldn't give a straight answer to that question!
I guess in an ideal world if politicians tell lies there really need to be strong ramifications for talking BS, not sure if any democracy in the world has actually done that yet. Being a politician I imagine would be an absolutely horrible job, but it needs to attract people that tell simple truths.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Politicians (and espec government ministers) tell lies all the time. It's part of the job.

What sets this administration aside, is their inability to tell the same lie consistently, to make the lie remotely believable and to differentiate between lies that need to be told for the good of the country and those being told for the good of the Tory party/minister/PM.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

AT LAST.
Happy days following the 2021 census results.
At last NI Prods have got what we've always longed for. We can now claim that we're a minority, hopefully even a persecuted minority. Can't wait for all the great and the good to line up to give us their full support for anything we want.
Let the good times roll :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

There are more non religious people than Presbyterians. A huge W in my book.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dave wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:28 pm There are more non religious people than Presbyterians. A huge W in my book.
There are more non religious people in the Presbyterians! :duck:

Wot does a huge W in your book mean? Colour that bit in white?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Dave wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:28 pm There are more non religious people than Presbyterians. A huge W in my book.
There are more non religious people in the Presbyterians! :duck:

Wot does a huge W in your book mean? Colour that bit in white?
Yeah. Stay within the lines if you can.

I can't.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

I find it strange that in such a polarized wee cesspit only about 60% can actually be bothered to class themselves as either British or Irish.

The rest of ye - PICK A SIDE FFS! :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

big mervyn wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:14 pm I find it strange that in such a polarized wee cesspit only about 60% can actually be bothered to class themselves as either British or Irish.

The rest of them can’t read so they couldn’t fill out the census.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Consider about 30% who claim to British have an Irish passport and about 30 % of those who claim to Irish have a British passport and others think the Isle of Man is a foreign country.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Was thinking about this, and I think the problem comes down to identity politics.
If we (and by that I mean any of usuns or themens that were born and brought up in NI) were to answer the national identity question honestly, we would all say British/Irish/NI. That is if we read the question as what is our identity rather than what we identify as.

Who can claim not to have large parts of their identity coming from Ireland? The fact that we are living in the UK means that claiming you don't have any British identity is also a lie*. Just by adding those 2 things together also creates a NI identity, let alone all the NI specific influences that we (usuns and themuns) have shared and disagreed upon for the last 100 years.

I suppose it's the modern way - personal choice in identity. It's like being asked your Sex and filling in your Gender.

Of course that wonderful piece of literature that is all things to all people - the GFA - says we can call ourselves whatever we want (I tried claiming I was Monégasque - but unfortunately it didn't cover that, not even for those from Monaghan)

So anyone here (blowins aside) want to put their hand on their heart and make a case for them not really being Irish/British/NI (at least) ?

* I would go so far as to say given the relative youth of RoI (and the influences the UK had in its formation)- even those from Cork who have never set foot in Ulster would have trouble claiming they had no elements of Britishness about them - they will, of course, but they're only kidding themselves.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

rumncoke wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:23 pm Consider about 30% who claim to British have an Irish passport and about 30 % of those who claim to Irish have a British passport and others think the Isle of Man is a foreign country.
If you define foreign as not being part of the UK (or Ireland), it is a foreign country. Or at least a foreign British Crown Dependency.

The Isle of Man is not, and never has been, part of the United Kingdom, nor has it ever been part of the European Union. It is not represented at Westminster, nor was it represented in Brussels. Does that make it foreign? ...

As the country with responsibility for the Isle of Man in international law, I hear the UK is being accused of mysogeny by the European Court . . .
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

big mervyn wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:14 pm I find it strange that in such a polarized wee cesspit only about 60% can actually be bothered to class themselves as either British or Irish.

I think it’s closer to 80%??
43% claim to have some sort of British identity and 34/35% claim to be Irish.

I think the 20% who claim to be Northern Ireland (only), I’m assuming those guys just want an easy life. I’m sure a good number of them who are passionate about this place and don’t want to jump in bed with the English or do away with NI, like the Shinners/SDLP.

I happily picked British/Northern Irish. I view myself no different than a Scotsman saying he or she is Scottish/British etc. I also hold both passports, for convenience and not a show of identity.