Schools Cup 2014

ny and all to do with skules

Moderator: Moderators

Beattiespastie
Squire

Re: Schools Cup 2014

Post by Beattiespastie »

Good results for Sullivan, RBAI and MCB this weekend, all teams are finding form in the run in which bodes well for the cup this year. Looking forward to St Paddys day final in the new Ravenhill.... its all to play for and its going to be the tighest final in recent years as there are no clear front runners with all top teams having a few slip ups. All the coaching staff will be hoping for an injury free few weeks ahead.
Ball Boy
Initiate

Post by Ball Boy »

Sullivan drew with Inst at the weekend - the plot thickens...
For the razor blade was German-made
But the sheet was Belfast Linen.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Ball Boy wrote:Sullivan drew with Inst at the weekend - the plot thickens...
PRL claim Inst were resting players

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

LastKnightoftheproms wrote:
Russ wrote:
Ball Boy wrote:Sullivan drew with Inst at the weekend - the plot thickens...
PRL claim Inst were resting players

MCB claim (a) they rested players and (b) were not used to the referee and (c) RSA are guff and sure we beat their seconds anyway.

Let the all Belfast carve up begin.
Belfast schools are super schools drawing in players from the surrounding high schools with their higher budgets and ability to provide an Ulsterbus in the morning and evening

Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

MCB rested no players at the Armagh game that I am aware of? It was one of those games and Armagh came away with the spoils. I honestly believe Coleraine Inst are serious contenders now as they are certainly the team with most momentum coming into the cup having dispatched Sullivan and Armagh. It would be a MASSIVE achievement for MCB to bag three titles in a row and it's a big ask. MCB 2nd XV are at full strength for the first time all year and started their cup run with s 50 v 3 away win at Limavady with a young team so it bodes well for next year. Hopefully Ulster rugby will benefit long term from the great work being done by coaching staff at all the schools concerned :D -
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

C'monnn Campbell. Get stuck in.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

HwoodMike2umate wrote:C'monnn Campbell. Get stuck in.
Thought you would be a Sullivan hack

Mr Frosty
Initiate

Post by Mr Frosty »

Russ wrote:
HwoodMike2umate wrote:C'monnn Campbell. Get stuck in.
Thought you would be a Sullivan hack

He wishes
Till youve tasted Frosty's you don't know jack
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

Sullivan = Campbell 2nds
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Just back from MCB 39 v 17 Balkyclare High School game. Horrendous weather conditions so hats off to both sets of lads for an entertaining game... God help the subs on both sides standing in driving torrential rain for 70 minutes
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Beattiespastie wrote:MCB 2nd XV are at full strength for the first time all year and started their cup run with s 50 v 3 away win at Limavady with a young team so it bodes well for next year. Hopefully Ulster rugby will benefit long term from the great work being done by coaching staff at all the schools concerned :D -
No disrespect but with the numbers in the various schools involved in the competition your 2nd XV should actually be on a par with most other sides firsts and actually the 3rds and 4ths at MCB playing the country schools seconds would be a more representative system.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Rooster, my experience of ' country' second XV sides would suggest they are very competitive and push the Belfast schools all the way and the same goes for first XV sides. Everbody has caught up with senior rugby set ups and the coaching/ conditioning requirements involved. Granted MCB is a large grammar school but its mixed and it has a healthy hockey and rowing population as well. The margins are narrowing every year but I think its unfair to put rugby success down to numbers. MCB has been fortunate to have great continuity in coaching with the Wells legacy but the coaching throughout the age groups is very good and a great deal is asked of the kids involved. Limavady is an excellent rugby school and pushed MCB hard and the margin of victory on wednesday did not not reflect the hard fought effort of the Limavady lads.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Coaching does make a difference but so also do numbers, it will always be difficult for the likes of RSA with 700 total pupils, half are girls so you are automatically down to 350 and if you take it that school cup teams in general are composed of the last 2 years at school you finish with about 80 lads to pick a side from as opposed I'm sure to more than double that from MCB. Remember other schools also do other sports.

Yes other schools compete but it is on a more cyclical basis when they happen to have a decent batch of lads in a particular year group and is no way consistent from year to year and school to school hence you get a good couple of years from Ballymena or Limavady or any of the others for that matter
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Rooster wrote:Coaching does make a difference but so also do numbers, it will always be difficult for the likes of RSA with 700 total pupils, half are girls so you are automatically down to 350 and if you take it that school cup teams in general are composed of the last 2 years at school you finish with about 80 lads to pick a side from as opposed I'm sure to more than double that from MCB. Remember other schools also do other sports.

Yes other schools compete but it is on a more cyclical basis when they happen to have a decent batch of lads in a particular year group and is no way consistent from year to year and school to school hence you get a good couple of years from Ballymena or Limavady or any of the others for that matter
In my opinion, Kenny Hooks is the best schools coach in Ulster in the last 30 years. His entire coaching philosophy in terms of development of the player as a young man is exemplary. Therein lies the secret of RSA punching above their weight. :shock: Now that is some mouthful from a Portora man :lol: :lol: :lol:
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

LastKnightoftheproms wrote:Dear God Snipe! :shock:

I can only imagine what it took for you to say that. :salut:

With the limited numbers and resources he has done very well. But, in honesty, The Royal ethos has always been about the development of the young man. Kenny, just bought into that and applied it to rugby.
I don't know anything about the school ethos, but Kenny talks the talk and walks the walk.