Scaalets vs Ulster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Scaalets vs Ulster

Post by ruckover »

Big chance to keep our winning streak going, although we will need to play well - the Scarlets is a tough away game but I back us to do this.

Injuries: FNW and Gilly back - if they are I'd have them on the bench. Payne OK?

I don't want to play Ruan at 10, he is wasted there, but him at 10 is infinitely more preferable than McKinney at 10 in my opinion, and with no other options at 12 available right now I want Olding to stay at 12 (when PW comes back then we can try Olding at 10 with PW outside him). Therefore, sadly, Ruan will go to 10.

Second row I would consider sending Diack to lock with Stevenson and having Wilson at 6 with Williams at 8, however I feel McComb can do a good job at lock. FNW should only start if he's 100% fit in my opinion.

15. Windy
14. AAT
13. Latte
12. Olding
11. Micky
10. St Ruan
9. Beagle
1. Nugget
2. Herring
3. BBJ
4. Stevo
5. McComb
6. Diack
7. Doyle
8. Rog

16. Annett, 17. Ricky, 18. Ross, 19. McComish, 20. FNW, 21. McKinney, 22. Farrell, 23. Gilly.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Re: Scaalets vs Ulster

Post by Joe Schmo »

ruckover wrote:Big chance to keep our winning streak going, although we will need to play well - the Scarlets is a tough away game but I back us to do this.
Which Welsh away game did Ruan play 10 at last year? He scored a cracking try, chipped ahead and ran in to score. It was one of the few games I've seen him play as well at 10 as he does day in day out at 9. It might have been the dragons....cant remember.

Anyway reckon FNW and Gilroy will be bench, no idea about the rest.
Windeos
Warrior Chief

Post by Windeos »

I think you'll see Diack playing 7, so a backrow made up of Williams, Diack and Wilson.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

IAssume Scarletts will be missing their internationals as well
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

scrum5 wrote:IAssume Scarletts will be missing their internationals as well
Yep, plus Barclay who will be away with Scotland.

Joe - you're right, it was the Dragons match however we didn't get asked many questions that day so he wasn't tested very often.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

Re Pienaar at 10, the standard of his performance requires two things, the forwards producing good ball and p's ability to pass. The first one is possible the second is akin to a lottery. There's only so much a 10 can do if he's picking the ball up from his feet. Of course very happy to be proved wrong.
Anyone aware of how many first players they are likely to miss?
Rovi Snave
Warrior

Post by Rovi Snave »

Joe Schmo wrote:Re Pienaar at 10, the standard of his performance requires two things, the forwards producing good ball and p's ability to pass. The first one is possible the second is akin to a lottery. There's only so much a 10 can do if he's picking the ball up from his feet. Of course very happy to be proved wrong.
I make it 7 - 2 forwards and 5 backs - squad below:-

WALES SQUAD

Forwards: Scott Andrews (Cardiff Blues), Adam Jones (Ospreys), Aaron Jarvis (Ospreys), Paul James (Bath), Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Ryan Bevington (Ospreys), Richard Hibbard (Ospreys), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Emyr Phillips (Scarlets), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Luke Charteris (Perpignan), Ian Evans (Ospreys), Bradley Davies (Cardiff Blues), Andrew Coombs (Dragons), Ryan Jones (Ospreys), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Sam Warburton (capt, Cardiff Blues), Toby Faletau (Dragons), Dan Lydiate (Racing Metro).

Backs: Rhodri Williams (Scarlets), Mike Phillips (Bayonne), Lloyd Williams (Cardiff Blues), Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Rhys Patchell (Cardiff Blues), Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), Jon Davies (Scarlets), Ashley Beck (Ospreys), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Cory Allen (Cardiff Blues), Owen Williams (Cardiff Blues), James Hook (Perpignan), George North (Northampton Saints), Eli Walker (Ospreys), Leigh Halfpenny (Cardiff Blues), Liam Williams (Scarlets).
Finished
10 or 15 only
Initiate

Post by 10 or 15 only »

I see Conor Murray may be cited for an elbow offence against Glasgow.
Will that see our beagle moved up to the squad with obvious alterations to us?
Does that make it more likely Pienaar will be at 10 or will we need McKinney now?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

I think we are going to see Olding at 10

Also hoping Doyle gets a run out, he looked lively at the start of the season.
Watched him play for Dungannon Vs Malone and stood out as rightly he should, unlike Keith Lemon who was playing backrow for Malone that day.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Joe Schmo wrote:Re Pienaar at 10, the standard of his performance requires two things, the forwards producing good ball and p's ability to pass. The first one is possible the second is akin to a lottery. There's only so much a 10 can do if he's picking the ball up from his feet. Of course very happy to be proved wrong.
I'd go on Scaaaaaaaaaaaalet Fever to enquire Joe, but for some odd reason I appear to be permanently banned, bloody sheep -worriers, no sense of humour or forgiveness, no ability to moderate properly, all in all a grumpy wee set of elves.

I stood at the bar in the old heap that was Stradey with a guy waxing lyrically about how much he hated the English & how he would burn every one of them out of their 2nd houses. I asked him the obvious question about his abilities as a Welsh speaker & he rather quietly confessed he couldn't speak a word. :shock: :shock: :shock: Would appear like most on their website, he could toss for Wales. >EW

Speaking of Stradey, I'm still irked that we took some of the old heap's stadium design ideas, with our underground terrace. >threaten
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

UlsterNo9 wrote:I think we are going to see Olding at 10

Also hoping Doyle gets a run out, he looked lively at the start of the season.
Watched him play for Dungannon Vs Malone and stood out as rightly he should, unlike Keith Lemon who was playing backrow for Malone that day.
Have you seen McKinney play for the Binmen? I believe he put in as much as no effort at all this weekend much to the annoyance of many prominent binmen. Described as either a lazy pretentious git or the worst player on the pitch. Neither really a description that a pro player would want.

It would appear young Mr McKinney still believes himself to be so much better than to play with a bunch of rugby players who aren't as "professional" as he is. Seems maybe someone should tell him how a real professional behaves. Maybe Chad or TC could have a word, as fellow binmen.

Sounds to me like a lad who will have a very short career as a pro unless he knuckles down and cuts the sense of entitlement I hear spoken of him. Lets all wish him his "Road to Damascus" moment asap.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Can't see JB standing for a lard ass don't wamma be here Hensonesque pretty boy clogging up things at the Depot.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Olding 10, Farrell 12 anyone, assuming hes not injured?
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

As long as the backline doesn't include McIlwaine, McKinney or Andrew ... we'll live with it!
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

This will be a very interesting game. I think the Scarlets backs are our nearest rivals and we are losing a lot of ours PJ, beagle, Bowe, Marshall so not only is the team selection interesting but we need to beat them in the forwards! Best, Court, Fitzpatrick, Tuohy, Muller, Henderson, Henry at least are missing. Who said something about depth?

Black, Herring, Afoa, Stevenson, Diack, Wilson, Williams, Doyle/McComish, Pienaar, Olding, Gilroy, Allen/Farrell, Cave, Trimble, Payne

Bench: Annett, Lutton, McCall, McComb, Doyle/McComish, Heaney/Porter, Allen/Farrell, Nelson
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!