Whats everyone currently reading?

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Whats everyone currently reading?

Post by Tender »

Dark Tower. It was a Crimbo prezzie.
Actually not as bad as I thought. On book five in the series and it’s starting to slow down a bit, but still ok. King claims it arcs over a lot of his previous books and was written alongside them, but that seems like a sales pitch to sell more copies.
It could have made a good (epic) series for TV now that GOT is ending, but they fecked that up with the turd film that Idris and McConaughey did.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Its a great series Tender. I found The Gunslinger a hard read and wasn't a fan of it at all. Once I started The Drawing of The Three I was hooked and then I really began to appreciate the first book.

King is right though. I haven't read much of his stuff but a lot of characters and places do pop up in different books. It won't affect the story though.

The Stand by King is excellent but long.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Re-read the Millenium as prelude to reading the follow-on series by David Lagercrantz - first called 'The girl in the spider's web'. Will let you know when I have read it.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Currently a book by Laurence Reed who states

“If you interview people about what seem to them insignificant details... it is likely that their recollections will be unreliable.
But if you focus on key emotional moments, then in my experience many people have very powerful and accurate recall .”

While few people remember every single sexual encounter in great detail they rarely forget their first .

Thus while the events of the Monday night be a drunken blur I bet the day the boys were interviewed is an experience they will never forget .

Thus in my humble opinion unless you have been raped frequently I would expect the memory of such an event to be crystal clear rather than a fog even allowing for the effects of alcohol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

rumncoke wrote:Currently a book by Laurence Reed who states

“If you interview people about what seem to them insignificant details... it is likely that their recollections will be unreliable.
But if you focus on key emotional moments, then in my experience many people have very powerful and accurate recall .”

While few people remember every single sexual encounter in great detail they rarely forget their first .

Thus while the events of the Monday night be a drunken blur I bet the day the boys were interviewed is an experience they will never forget .

Thus in my humble opinion unless you have been raped frequently I would expect the memory of such an event to be crystal clear rather than a fog even allowing for the effects of alcohol.

WTF

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

The follow-up books to the Millenium were both excellent. Very difficult to follow someone else, use the same characters but in your own style continue the story but he achieved it in spades. Moved on to finish the Hobb books and now re-read 'His dark materials' in preparation for the new Pullman trilogy.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

rumncoke wrote:Currently a book by Laurence Reed who states

'Insignificant' detail is the key though. In an incident of high stress, the mind concentrates on what it believes are significant (for survival, etc). Therefore witnesses (particularly victims) often can describe a weapon in precise detail, but will get the colour of the attackers shirt completely wrong. It's natural.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Finally got around to reading to Pete McCarthy’s two books.

Tremendous stuff. Hilarious and insightful in equal measures.

He must have visited Tasmania about a year before I did and his experiences there really resonated with me.

Tricky to fully enjoy them in the knowledge that there wouldn’t be a third instalment (which was going to be about the six counties of NI, apparently).

Crammed more into his cruelly truncated time on this planet than most of us will manage, but was certainly taken a good few thousand pints too soon.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Currently listening to Hyperion. It's good so far. I've just finished Dune for the first time. It was great.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

A random one - 'Wedlock', by Wendy Moore.
No, wait...
The story of Mary Eleanor Bowles (ancestor of HMQ) and Andrew Robinson Stoney (yes, he's the origin of stoney broke). Fascinating historical account of an abusive marriage in Georgian England.
Audiobook from Holywood library.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Something about the Lions by Sir Ian McGeechan.

Thought I’d try and get in the spirit of things.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Audiobooks for me, just listened to Matthew McConaghy's Greenlights, not sure if it was the quality of the book or Matthew's telling of it, but one of the best books I've listened to. Now on to What a Flanker by James Haskell, about 1/3 of the way through and interesting enough stories, but not ground breaking stuff.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Just bought the JH one.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

can't wait to read Harry's life story as edited and approved by Megan

Or the Stones doing a royal variety singing " UNDER her Thumb"
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
waggonsroll
Initiate

Post by waggonsroll »

rumncoke wrote:can't wait to read Harry's life story as edited and approved by Megan

Or the Stones doing a royal variety singing " UNDER her Thumb"
Wonder if it'll have full details of his Las Vegas escapades (with pictures)!

Sent from my 5001D_EEA using Tapatalk